Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Thats awesome Zan, always a nightmare when you're dealing with contractors. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Tomahawk

It's literally impossible to break loose two of the three bolts holding on the toilet tank (upper deck). Tried the normal methods of screwdriver and socket, sprayed the motherfarg out of 'em with PB Blast, tried again but to no avail. Sprayed more PB Blast and added Liquid Wrench to the equation then tried with the impact but still wouldn't go.

What are my other options? I'm thinking of using a 7/16" drill bit (since they're 9/16" bolts) to drill them out but not sure if that's a good size or a good idea since I'm pretty sure porcelain is fairly breakable.

Diomedes

You need to remove the tank?  Why? 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Drilling will almost certainly break the porcelain.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

I can't imagine why you'd ever want to go to the trouble to separate the tank from the bowl, with, like, tools.  If you can't get it out a door, beak it.  Toilets are cheap as hell.

Emotional attachment to it?  WTF are you doing?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Toilets aren't $20 cheap which is all it costs for the replacement bolts and gasket, plunger, and intake/shutoff valve. Plus, I don't ever want to see a wax ring so if I bought a new toitie, I'd have to pay a mofo to install it.

Nut splitter didn't work because there isn't enough clearance, but I was able to drill through the nut without busting it.

Seabiscuit36

Anyone ever plant Zoysia Grass?  I have really zesty grass growing inside my front yard.  In the past i've seen zoysia grass planted, and i really like the feel in the summer.  even in the winter its thick and is pretty hardy.  My options now are
a. Just tilling the aforementioned yard, and spent 1.5k on Sod.  It'll look great immediately, but costs cut into other projects
b.  Just even out low spots with top soil, sprinkle soil ot even out yard, and fertilize.  Throw down seeds, then throw down hay or equivilent.  This is a 100x25 area that the dog runs around in, off our front door. I already have seed, will just me a mess for longer. 
c. Try the whole zoysia experiment.  They ship you plugs of the grass.  It takes 3 years to take, but is super thick grass that requires less cutting, and looks ridiculous when its green. 

I'm going from spending the entire summer last year killing off Hay that was growing instead of grass, and after this winter it's pretty apparent I have no grass other than 4 patches.  I just want something to let the dog out in and not have to wipe his paws down every 5 minutes. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

Nope, sorry.

The Zoysia is hardy enough to stand up to the dog piss?  I can say for sure that sod ain't, whatever variant you install.

Zanshin

Timely topic for me. The construction left me without grass in much of my yard. I don't have great soil, and I don't have a green thumb. That said, I need to do something to get some semblance of grass back...without spending much money to do it. Is there a tried and true process that works well? Is it as simple as tearing up the dirt, putting down seed and watering it regularly?

Seabiscuit36

Zan, in the fall we had to do some extensive buildup of the ground to a family member's house.  After ordering two truck loads of topsoil, and renting a bobcat, the yard was pretty much just dirt.  I think we ended up spreading 50lbs of seed, and topped it with a mix of hay bale and one of those Hay Rolls.  This was the beginning of october, and the yard was filling in 3 weeks later.  The topsoil part is just a major pain. 

Diomedes

Quote from: Zanshin on February 22, 2012, 09:30:01 AMIs there a tried and true process that works well? Is it as simple as tearing up the dirt, putting down seed and watering it regularly?

yep.  till the earth (or add topsoil), spread seed liberally, cover with hay, stay off of it, and water water water.

ice grillin you

home improvement of a sort

i just refinanced to a 15 year mortgage

my rate went from 5.1 to 3.1...about 5k in closing will be rolled into the new mortgage and i had to come out of pocket for another 3k in taxes

my monthly payment went up 370 bucks....but its so nice to actually be able to see the light at the end of my house being paid off tunnel
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

that's pretty awesome man...sounds like I need to talk to somebody about a refi

ice grillin you

Quote from: Tomahawk on February 24, 2012, 04:53:05 PM
that's pretty awesome man...sounds like I need to talk to somebody about a refi

the rates are ridiculous right now...if you even think you can afford the small bump in your monthly payment id def go for it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Girl I know owns a house in Pendel and her tenant is leaving, so I'm moving out of the city and renting it from her. Right now I'm in a 2 bedroom duplex which has a finished basement and a garage [small yard in the back we never use]. House I'm moving into has a huge fenced in yard, giant basement, 3 bedrooms, hardwood floors, recently renovated kitchen...basically a huge upgrade and I'm only paying $100 more per month. Neighborhood is also in quiet area, the one I'm in now is a clusterfarg and parking friggen blows.

Anyway, the basement is unfinished so I'd like to throw some type of flooring down to put some gym equipment down there then add a play area for my daughters shtein. They sell stall mats which are used in gyms and horse stalls but they're pretty expensive. Anyone have any cheap recommendations for flooring?