Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

So I went to Rock Run ATV park the other weekend and about 100 ft down the first trail my back tire goes flying off. Luckily I was on level ground...So basically I'm thinking my weekend is farged. The guys at rock run hooked me up with a local honda dealer a few miles away and they had wheels in stock. what happened was after i spray painted my tires we didn't crank them on with a torque wrench..we just muscled them on. So I learn that after a few rides you should re-tighten them...or they can get loose from getting hot from riding...ha lesson learned. my back left wheel..all lug nuts came loose and farged up my wheel...tore it all up...lost all the lug nuts. One lug nut came off the back right as well.

So the dealership didn't have 10 inch wheels...which were the size of my tires...so they got me. I had to buy two new wheels and two new tires. ended up paying 410 bucks. i got awesome tires though and they dropped off 25 on each tire.

some pics:

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

my farged up neckspine won't allow that kind of fun...glad someone is out there having a blast

hard lesson to learn about the wheels but now you know and at least  you weren't hurt.  regarding torque wrenches...spend the coin on a decent one, and always dial it back to zero before you store it (if you don't already know this)
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

I am buying one...didn't know about dialing it to 0 though, thanks!
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

Yeah, you don't want to leave it sprung to whatever spec you last used..it should always be dialed back when you're done with it.  And don't use it for anything other than torqueing to a particular spec..that is, don't use it as a regular socket wrench.  It's a precision tool.  Decent ones aren't cheap.

I'm talking about "click type" torque wrenches.  Don't know much about the other types.  Wiki has a decent page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

And lookey here, the wiki page seems to say "don't set it back to zero..."

QuoteFor the click type, when not in use, the force acting on the spring should be removed by setting the scale to 20% of full scale in order to maintain the spring's strength. Never set a micrometer style torque wrench to zero as the internal mechanism requires a small amount of tension in order to prevent tool failure due to unwarranted tip block rotation. If a micrometer tool has been stored with the setting above 20% the tool should be set to 50% of full scale and exercised at least 5 times before being used. In the case of the beam type, there is no strain on the component that provides the reference force except when it is in use.

Shows you what I know...

General_Failure

This is why you have a broken neckspine.

The man. The myth. The legend.

mussa

so 20% of full scale....jesus christ

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on June 14, 2008, 01:17:41 PM
I hear the roads down there are all straight and flat, which sounds like motorcycling hell to me.  Do you have any twisties?  Or any shade?

The center of the state is all hills and twisting roads.  I used to ride my Harley through Ocala all the time and would definitely be looking to do so again with the new bike.

Riding in the winter down here is farging awesome.  We used to ride to St. Augustine down the beach road (A1A) and although it was straight it was a nice cruise with the ocean on your right the whole way with the cold salt air rushing by.  We live here for the weather from October to May, not this miserable time of year.

PhillyPhreak54

Dio,

It was the regulator that failed. It was all jacked up from the motor to the cables that are wound in there. I got to the dealership and the lady told me she had no techs there to fix it. After explaining that I was going out of town plus the fact that it rains every goddamn day here she asked one of the tune-up guys if she could do it. They had the part and it was fixed in an hour.

I never knew this, but when that bad boy fails the window just drops into the door panel regardless if the motor still operates or not.

as I'm pulling out of the dealership, it starts to pour rain.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on June 14, 2008, 12:57:45 PM
Went and checked out a new bike today.  Looking at the Triumph Bonneville T100 but I can't find a dealer down here who will farging play ball price-wise.

I went and looked at some Harleys last weekend.  I seriously thinking about selling the stang and going with a bike.  Gas is so farging expensive and I'm getting ready to move to Cali.  Not the best time to own a V8.  It's not even my daily driver but it's getting to the point where I can't even afford to take it out on the weekends and open it up on the highway and drive it like I want to.  It just burns too much damn gas.  Having a bike in Cali would be farging great. 

Anywho, I'm leaning towards the Dyna Super Glide

SunMo

what kind does your husband want to get
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

I see what you did there. 

I'm not looking for a monster sized bike though.  It's been almost 10 years since I've been on a bike and I only have about 3 years of riding experience under my belt to begin with so I want to start back out on something that I won't be tempted to try and kill myself on.  Dyna's hold their value relatively well so in a year or two I'll be able to get decent value for it when/if I decide to trade up. 

Diomedes

I'd buy used if I was thinking about resale value only a couple years hence.  Just a thought.

Sgt PSN

Definitely used......something around an 04/05 preferably.    The 08 was the first pic that came up on a search and not much has changed with the body style recently. 

Diomedes

I have opinions about Harleys (and their ilk).  It's incredibly difficult not to post them. 

Good luck.