Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 14, 2012, 11:21:17 AM
but the one in a billion chance that someone might mess up your oil change is not a reason to do it yourself...thats like saying dont spend money on a new car because you might have a heart attack and die in the next year

You're as bad at analogies as ants are at surfing.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 14, 2012, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: Diomedes on May 14, 2012, 06:43:04 AM
Speaking of oil changes...I just passed 4k on my new truck, figured I'd take it in for the first (free) oil change.  Just for kicks I looked in the owner's manual to see if I was already past the recommended milestone, or if I had a little time left.

10,000 miles is what is says.

Are you f'n kidding me?  Nope.  I read it a few times and cross checked with a gearhead friend to works at DOT.  New cars don't require oil changes as frequently as older ones, apparently.  Who knew?

Wow that's the first 10k report I've heard....I know with my '10 they have me do it every 5k.

The "norm" on a lot of new(er) vehicles is def trending upwards.  I haven't heard 10k until now, but 5000-7500 seems to be fairly common these days.  And even some of the higher priced oils supposedly allow you to go about the same distance between oil changes on older/higher mileage vehicles.

Dio....what year is your truck?

I've never been extremely anal about changing mine every 3k miles.  I usually hit it somewhere between 4-5k.  Only time I ever break that is before long road trips.....like when we drove Cali to Nashville.  I changed it right before we left even though I was probably only about 2500 miles since my last oil change. 

phillymic2000

I change my own oil and do most of the other work on my vehicles. The only thing I don't mess with is Trans, or engine removal work. I have a nice 2nd garage that is insulated, has hot water floor heat, drainage system, hot cold water supply and 100amp service (the original owner was a welder). I started a detailing service on the side which has done well also. I use only shaffer's oil products. Pricey, but worth it for the wear and tear on my vehicles out here in the sticks. Jiffy lube and the others suck imo. I would never leave my car's maintenance up to a minimum wage retard. Any major work and it goes right to a certified shop, which luckily has only been once for my Mazda. My ford minivan and GMC pick up have been clear of any mechanics tools!

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

SD

I moved 10 minutes out of the city and my car insurance dropped $35 a month

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I never use Jiffy Lube or any of those quick change places. I've heard horror stories of them not using the right filters and causing problems. I only take mine to Ford so if something did happen they couldn't play void the warranty game.

A couple years ago when I had my '05 I had it in the shop for something and was talking to the master tech. Sitting next to my truck was a car whose owner went to Jiffy Lube and they used the wrong filter. The result was some serious internal damage and an awful fight between JL and the owner because ford was refusing to cover the repairs.

Seabiscuit36

I've always did the same thing Phreak, took my vehicles to the dealer up until the warranty was done.  Thats I guess why i'm in no mans land as far as where to go.  IGY, I've heard horror stories about working on Range Rovers and Volkswagons so you probably made the right decision. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

i have a land rover but it will be going to my regular service station the second my coupons run out...hell if im paying 120 bucks for an oil change

not going to jiffy lube because they might farg shtein up is like not eating meat anymore cause you heard some horror stories about mad cow disease
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

I've never gone to Jiffy Lube just because my old man was in the car industry and he saw those "urban legends" come into the shop.  My buddy was there 3 months ago, and the guy working said pull around the side and i'll change your oil for 10 bucks less.  Who knows if it was new oil or filters they used.  Jiffy Lube is just ghetto. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SunMo

i go to jiffy lube all the time, never had a problem
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

And it really just depends who the owner is, and if he hires guys who are worth a shtein. 

SunMo

the one i go to has a staff 75% of chicks, well girls. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SunMo on May 16, 2012, 10:40:19 AM
i go to jiffy lube all the time, never had a problem

i dont go there everytime but ive been going there for 20+ years and never had a problem

in fact ive never even known someone whos had a problem

my biggest problem with jiffy lube is the price.....its now like 30+ bucks isnt it?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 16, 2012, 10:06:16 AM
i have a land rover but it will be going to my regular service station the second my coupons run out...hell if im paying 120 bucks for an oil change

not going to jiffy lube because they might farg shtein up is like not eating meat anymore cause you heard some horror stories about mad cow disease

The likely reason they are charging you $120 is because they are using a quality synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1. Most premier brands (BMW, MB, Land Rover, etc.) use Mobil 1 from the factory, and I wouldn't run traditional oil in them. Jiffy Lube will likely charge the same amount for a similar oil change. If you pay for the base oil change at Jiffy Lube, you are getting the chaeapest, lowest quality shtein imaginable. I use Mobil 1 and Fram products in all of my cars, and it usually costs me $25 per oil change, vice $100+ to have someone else do it with the same products. Also, the kid doing at Jiffy Lube generally has zero formal training, which is why service at such places can potentially void warranty coverage on certain makes (BMW, etc.).
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.