Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Yeah, like I said: he needs an editor.  He lacks the discipline required to keep an epic tale just small enough for the reader to actually embrace it.  Left to his own devices, Martin is prone to sprawling, sloppy, extraneous blather and I can understand why a lot of people resent him for it and even bail on the series altogether because of it.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I read every word.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

He's too popular for a good editor.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Yeti

"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

Eagaholic

Quote from: General_Failure on May 06, 2014, 10:23:04 PM
He's too popular for a good editor.
probably true. My guess is by now he has full editorial control over his work.

Munson

Awesome episode. Dinklage probably just won himself another Emmy.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

That was solid.  I took Varys' "I remember everything" line to be a quasi-apology to Tyrion.  That he wishes he could forget when he has to go against what he wants/believes in, but he can't (and yet, as we saw with Ned, Varys isn't willing to stick his own neck out on the line often).

Munson

Yeah, as recently as last season Varys was trying to get rid of shae so Tyrion wouldn't get himself in trouble.

I hope they get to interact again this season. Was really hoping Tyrion would be able to call his own witnesses and he'd call Varys and question him himself.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

hbionic

***Spoiler if you haven't watched yet***

I haven't read the books, but the whole Theon rescue mission was anti-climactic. This was one of the things I was looking forward to most this season. It was a let down but I understand that Theon is going to be a bigger piece later on on account of what he is going to be set out to do.

Good episode because it felt like it ended too quickly.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: hbionic on May 12, 2014, 02:05:48 AM
***Spoiler if you haven't watched yet***

I haven't read the books, but the whole Theon rescue mission was anti-climactic. This was one of the things I was looking forward to most this season. It was a let down but I understand that Theon is going to be a bigger piece later on on account of what he is going to be set out to do.

Good episode because it felt like it ended too quickly.

Not a spoiler for things to come, only to explain the book "version" if you want it

[spoiler]Yara never goes to the Dreadfort, so that was an entire creation by the show.  I think it was to show really how far gone Theon is mentally.  I'm sure it'll have an impact on Yara's character as well, but that was the main point of it I think.[/spoiler]

rjs246

I'm beyond bored with the Theon/Reek stuff. WHO CARES.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

great episode. the theon stuff is a bit boring because they arent putting much time into it but still good that they havent wiped it out completely for the series.

the part about varys that was big to me was that he did not deny what he said to tyrion about saving the city.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

hbionic

I agree with Eaglez_Legendz about Varys. It's almost like a hey, "I was forced to do this, not out of my own volition, and you know this".

Varys, and Tyrion are probably my two favorite characters other than the recurring "Whore's asses" and random boy-butt that comes out every now and then.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Eagles_Legendz

The off topic thread on the main Eagles site that you sometimes post in Munson is a landmine of spoilers, as well as things that people are getting wildly wrong about from the text after claiming to have read the series.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: rjs246 on May 12, 2014, 09:07:56 AM
I'm beyond bored with the Theon/Reek stuff. WHO CARES.

This is the whole problem with the way they did it in the show (since Theon is awol through the third book).

I'm all for most of the show changes (most, not all), and generally think the people at westeros.org are way too crazy about their fanatical devotion to the source material, but I think the guy who runs the site was right about this.  They could have spared all of that terribleness last season of him getting tortured, and the beginning of this season.  I think it would have had more power if Balon/Yara received the note, she goes to rescue him, shows up and she, and the viewer, realize at the same time just how farged up Theon has become.

The only point in favor of how they decided to do the adaptation in the show is that it spends a lot of time building up Ramsay's character (whether that is worthwhile or not is up to you).  I think that was the main reason for doing it that way as opposed to the way I suggested.  You get the viewer familiar with Ramsay's horribleness the way they did it in a manner you wouldn't really get if you just had Yara show up and the viewer not having watched Theon get tortured for a season+.

Munson

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on May 13, 2014, 12:57:53 AM
The off topic thread on the main Eagles site that you sometimes post in Munson is a landmine of spoilers, as well as things that people are getting wildly wrong about from the text after claiming to have read the series.

Yeah I ahve pretty good self control and avoid all the spoiler tagged stuff, and pretty much don't read anything that says "in the books..." haha. Luckily have been able to avoid getting spoiled about anything in there. I don't venture into that thread very often actually, usually get caught up reading the horseshtein in the political section. Every few days I remember there's a thread for GOT there.