Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by MDS, April 20, 2016, 02:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: Dre Day on February 15, 2021, 12:35:14 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on February 15, 2021, 11:03:01 AM
it would be hard to properly state how big of a failure trading wentz for zero #1's would be

Two seconds is the equivalent value of a 1st round pick

no
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

I'm not really joking..I think two 2s is better than one 1 if the picks will be used by the Eagles..they need to add young talent and more picks>fewer for that mission

if they want to use the compensation for draft trade capital, I think the 1 is probably more valuable to some teams, which is enough to make it more valuable, period.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

It matters where they are obviously 33 and 34 are more valuable than 32 but a top 20 pick is more valuable than maybe three random second rounders
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

If you're trading Wentz for being bad, you're probably banking on the team trading for him being bad with him.

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 15, 2021, 01:46:58 PM
It matters where they are obviously 33 and 34 are more valuable than 32 but a top 20 pick is more valuable than maybe three random second rounders

You generalized...two 2nds gets you into the 1st round so it's equal value. Top 20's a different story

Don Ho

Doesn't really matter, this FO sucks at drafting the past 5 years no matter the situation.

To long to post but go look at the past 5 drafts - 2018 wasn't to bad, no #1 but they got Goddert, Maddox (hopefully one day they play him where he belongs), Sweat, Pryor, Mailata.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

He gone.

2021 3rd round pick.
Conditional 2022 2nd round pick (Can become a first rounder.)

SD

Traded for a 3rd this season and a 2nd next season which will most likely become a first unless he's injured

QuoteTweet

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m
If Carson Wentz's playtime is at or above 75% next season, the conditional 2022 second-round pick would become a first-round pick, per sources. The second-round pick also.could become a first if Wentz plays at least 70 percent of the plays and the Colts go to the playoffs.

General_Failure

Well now that that's over, it's time to figure out where they're going to free up the other 50 million dollars to get under the cap for this season.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Zanshin

Quote from: Dre Day on February 18, 2021, 11:58:07 AM
Traded for a 3rd this season and a 2nd next season which will most likely become a first unless he's injured

QuoteTweet

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m
If Carson Wentz's playtime is at or above 75% next season, the conditional 2022 second-round pick would become a first-round pick, per sources. The second-round pick also.could become a first if Wentz plays at least 70 percent of the plays and the Colts go to the playoffs.

So, you're saying it's almost a lock to be a second-rounder then.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Zanshin

Quote from: Munson on February 18, 2021, 12:06:37 PM
What a pathetic return

Like it or not, they had zero leverage; all things considered, that was the best they were going to do. Still, I have no idea how Howie gets a pass on all of this.

SD

Quote from: Zanshin on February 18, 2021, 12:08:35 PM
Quote from: Munson on February 18, 2021, 12:06:37 PM
What a pathetic return

Like it or not, they had zero leverage; all things considered, that was the best they were going to do. Still, I have no idea how Howie gets a pass on all of this.

This ^

His contract and being a bitch who wouldn't go to the Bears left the Eagles no choice but to take the Colts offer. There's also a bunch of available qbs

PhillyPhreak54

QB Eagles

I blame Howie for a lot of other moves over the past few years (particularly the atrocious drafting) but I don't get exactly why we are supposed to blame him for the Wentz thing.

- He drafted Wentz #2 overall. This was the prime impetus for winning the SB within two years. That was worth it, right?
- He gave Wentz a very large but not unreasonable contract in 2019. Had Wentz continued playing at the 2018-2019 level (not the MVP 2017 level), what Wentz is making would have been around the going rate for a solid starting QB.
- Wentz cratered in 2020 and became the worst QB in the NFL. None of us saw it coming, and clearly neither did the Eagles or really any other NFL watcher.
- Howie drafted Hurts last year. If the argument is that drafting Hurts turned Wentz into a terrible QB, that 1) seems like psychological nonsense, and 2) if true, is really on Wentz for being an emotional weakling whose good play was dependent on being pampered by the organization. I look around the league and don't see other good QBs like that.

If Wentz continues to struggle, the Eagles are the winners of this trade. It's safe to assume no one was offering more.

There are three things I would blame Howie for, but we just don't know if they are true:
- If 2020 was a one-year blip and the Eagles are selling low, and Wentz returns to being a good QB against their expectations, then this trade is an unmitigated disaster and should not have been made at all.
- If the Eagles thought there was a good chance that Wentz would return to his 2019 or earlier self, but the Eagles were forced to trade Wentz because he was flat out refusing to play for Howie because of something unreasonable that Howie did.
- If Wentz only struggled in 2020 because of the pieces around him that Howie is responsible for. I don't buy this excuse. We all saw him play last season. The rest of the team was a problem, but Wentz was individually poor.