The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Thanks for asking man.

Yep all good. That was on the south side to southeast side. We live on the west side and I work on the northwest side.

The storms were pretty fierce for us still. We did have a warning with a radar indicated hook pattern but nothing ever came of it. Usually within city limits the tornadoes are F0-F1 range with an F2 rarely mixed in. The 0/1's don't worry me. 2's can get a little hairy though depending on where you are.

3-5's are the ones that'll farg you up real nice and proper like.

I remember when we first moved out of PA when I was 8. We were in Alabama and we spent many spring days in the hallways for warnings and close touchdowns.

After that we moved to Kansas and that's when it got real. It's pretty freaky to have a pitch black night and then the sirens go off. I recall one evening that was really bad when I was about 11. Military Police driving down the street on their intercoms yelling to take cover with the sirens going off.

Central Texas and points north are Tornado Alley. In 97 the town of Jarrell TX was pretty much flattened by an F5. That one was odd for a few reasons but it tracked SW rather than NE. It also moved really slow for a twister and that contributed to the devastation.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/d5/a8/e9d5a871f1485e6f5799659d16001f77.png

Dead Man Walking pic of the Jarrell storm as it formed.

I lived maybe 25 miles away from that town. I'd just graduated HS so that was a fun summer but I'll always remember that day those storms hit.

PhillyPhreak54

Mississippi is getting wrecked by tornadoes tonight

Some monster storms.

https://twitter.com/eduardokenya/status/1639478609386651648 46&t=Uib2YOn6CJgx-z2RaE9o7Q

https://twitter.com/reedtimmeraccu/status/1639456062943252489 46&t=Uib2YOn6CJgx-z2RaE9o7Q

Diomedes

psa:  don't bother watching that "big wedge" video.  it's worthless.  some shouting and lots of wind noise.  no shot of tornado, no carnage

0/10 would not watch again
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

https://twitter.com/i/status/1646321932281737217

ft lauderdale getting absolutely ravaged right now...i think geo and romey are well safe. cant wait to see how puss in boots cleans this up
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

Why clean it up when you can just say it's the rainbow's fault.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Got some well-needed rain, but nothing severe. 

ice grillin you

all of sudden asking for federal govt cash
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

It's only a handout when "they" get it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

It's all liberal heebs and spics down there anyway.    farg em. 

Geowhizzer

PhillyPhreak54

Climate Change is not real, sir. Its a hoax by _______ (insert latest GOP boogeyman).

But seriously...this is crazy. Look I know TX is hot. But this summer has been brutal. Doing anything outside is miserable.

Diomedes

Haven't actually heard many SDs on this lately.  Wonder why they've all gone quiet.

General_Failure

Now's no time to talk about the weather, there's drag queens teaching kids how to crank trans hogs with bud lite lube.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

Just insane amount of climate awfulness going on right now. And depressing that half our country has become some stupefied that it won't spur the type of action these types of emergencies would jump start in decades passed
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds