Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

You cried like a little girl at the end.  Fact. 

SD

Quote from: Rome on December 21, 2019, 08:07:37 AM
You cried like a little girl at the end.  Fact.

Not even close. When Ironman snapped...little misty eyed. This? I was too busy digesting wtf I just watched. It was better than TLJ so thankful for that.

Rome

My daughter referred to Rose as JarJar after the movie as in, "she got JarJar'd".

SD

She did thankfully. After sleeping on it it's whatever. Avengers are the SW OT of this generation. They've surpassed SW. Moving forward they need to can Kennedy and find someone who loves SW and not some big time movie exec. They have unlimited material to use they just need to pick the right people.

General_Failure

JJ Abrams also loves Star Wars. It turns out he's just a shtein director.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Quote from: AO1 on December 21, 2019, 05:30:42 PM
She did thankfully. After sleeping on it it's whatever. Avengers are the SW OT of this generation. They've surpassed SW. Moving forward they need to can Kennedy and find someone who loves SW and not some big time movie exec. They have unlimited material to use they just need to pick the right people.

I'm sitting here watching Rogue One and it's so far superior to every other Star Wars movie of the last 35 years, it's not even debatable.

I did like this last one, though. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: General_Failure on December 21, 2019, 06:29:11 PM
JJ Abrams also loves Star Wars. It turns out he's just a shtein director.

hes a tv guy not a movie guy
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Ford vs Ferrari was excellent.

Both Damon and Bale were great.

Eagles_Legendz

I've always liked Star Wars.  I did not like this movie.

Munson

I think you're fooling yourself if you say ROS is better than TLJ from a storytelling perspective. Last Jedi told some great stories about fallible heroes who came through in the end. This one was a lot of (great) action but the story was so rushed it was hard to keep up at times. Reminded me a little bit of S8 of GOT in that respect. Things just moved very fast and there was very little time for scenes to breathe.

I still enjoyed it a lot because I've always been fascinated with Palpatine and his powers/abilities. I only wish that once he was "regenerated" that we got to see some sweet lightsaber action from him first. 
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

TLJ was complete garbage. There was nothing in it from a storytelling point of view that had anything to do with the overall sequel arc. Lucasfilm acknowledged it was a disaster by having JJ course correct every aspect of the movie. Overall I could have done without the sequels. I'll never watch TLJ again (it's dead to me) but will watch ROS when it comes to Disney +.

Rome

MDS

uncut gems - between knives out, parasite, once upon a time and this...what a year. only knock was it was a tad slow to get going but once it did, youre IN and youre on the edge. the score was brilliant, pulsating, irritating and captivating. adam sandler might win a trophy. that good. crushed it. his side chick in the movie was outrageous. its very jewey. theres a bit about an afikomen and a bar mitzvah dress that crushed in my xmas eve screening full of city jews. also: its all about the 2012 ecf between the sixers and c's. kg isnt bad at all. they show game footage. spencer hawes, jodie meeks, etc all get run. monty g too. go see this. 4.5/5

the two popes - stop turning plays into movies. if you saw hopkins and pryce on stage talking with each other for 2 hours its probably great. on screen? no. except for the scene where hopkins eats pizza really weirdly, this was mostly a snoozefest. i say mostly because the parts where they voted on who was pope were amazing. but its like 10 minutes. otherwise its 2 pedophiles blabbing on and on and on and who cares 1.5/5

american factory - solid across the board. they got great access to this chinese company that opened up a plant in dayton. showed how the chinese and american workers adapted, how differently they ran things, culture clashes, etc. loved the scene where chinese were (accurately) describing americans. you watch how they work and live and how we work and live and you see why theyre winning. those people live to work. we live to punch out and go the farg home. im not mad about this. just what it is. 3/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

uncut gems - i've had high hopes for this for months and it basically lived up to the hype.  sandler and KG were both great.  movie kept you anxious the entire time in a good way.  including the tip off as part of the big parlay was a nice touch that any true degenerate gambler can appreciate.  also some good pre-process era sixers.  that 8 seed was a sneaky good team.

peanut butter falcon - best i've seen this year, by far. the kid with downs is downright amazing. so is labeef.  kinda reminds me of the florida project which was my favorite movie of last year, not crazy exciting when it comes to plot line / action but just a really good story.  sad, funny, all that shtein.   A+

star wars skywalker thingy - meh.  not super into star wars to begin with but this seemed a bit corny to me. watched it in 3d imax though and it was probably the best 3D experience I've had so that was a silver lining. guess it's worth seeing but i came away not impressed.

once upon a time in hollywood - don't really get the hype.  i normally love tarantino but this just felt like a way for hollywood to jerk itself off to old hollywood. lot of buildup with little payoff. dicaprio and pitt were both great and i'd bang each in a second but the twist just seemed too little too late.  not bad, just not one of the years best like I keep hearing.

ice grillin you

little women - this year has been terrible but holy shtein this is the savior...I think I teared up for most of the second half...Greta gerwig is literally a genius...the tone and themes of loyalty love caring were overwhelming for someone like me....not a huge fan of the ending but maybe she had to stick to the book I don't know...but amazing movie

Ps- sd whatever you do during the rest of your life DO NOT see this
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous