Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DH

I almost want to go through college all over again to see if I would be able to skate my way through by having people write my papers, take my exams, etc than to have done it the way I did.

SD

Quote from: SD on August 23, 2012, 07:59:34 AM
"No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission that Killed Osama Bin Laden" hits stores September 11th. It's written by a Seal Team 6 member who was in the room when Bin Laden was shot. It's the real account of the story, not the crap the media has told us. Should be a good read.

So the Seal who wrote this changed his name to 'Mark Owens' for security reasons. But Foxnews couldn't resist and ousted his real name and home state to the public:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/23/fox-news-navy-seal-bin-laden_n_1825146.html

Way to put a hero in danger

Rome

I try to imagine an organization that is worse than Fox News and it's actually difficult to come up with one.  The Klan comes to mind but even they have limits.

Those bastiches are just the absolute epitome of evil.   It's a shame Obama isn't the prick they say he is because nothing would make me happier than seeing Fox News headquarters in a steaming pile caused by a "malfunctioning" cruise missile.

Diomedes

Quote from: SD on August 23, 2012, 06:44:28 PMWay to put a hero in danger

farg him.  He wants attention, otherwise, he wouldn't write a book about himself.  That's what he gets for breaking the code.

Besides, I presume he can defend himself.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Quote from: Diomedes on August 23, 2012, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: SD on August 23, 2012, 06:44:28 PMWay to put a hero in danger

farg him.  He wants attention, otherwise, he wouldn't write a book about himself.  That's what he gets for breaking the code.

Besides, I presume he can defend himself.

Just so we're clear, you're siding with FOX News on this one.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

I wonder if the guy is related to that hockey player.

SD

Quote from: General_Failure on August 23, 2012, 08:11:34 PM

Just so we're clear, you're siding with FOX News on this one.

He is a registered Republican

Diomedes

The looks I get from the fat black women who "work" the polls on election day are worth the price of being registered Republican in a deep blue state, let me tell you.   White guy, registered Republican...eye roll city.

General_Failure

Do you show up wearing a sport coat and khakis?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

Quote from: Munson on August 20, 2012, 10:11:22 PM
I've read Dead City and Apocalypse of the Dead in the last two weeks, by Joe McKinney. Very good zombie books. Nothing ground breaking but just very enjoyable reads. I have the 3rd book, Flesh Eaters already and the 4th one apparently came out this past Spring.

I'm reading the 3rd book now, it's not as good as the first two. It reads a bit more like a bunch of short stories about the main characters blended together to make a book. He's tried too hard to tie a certain scene to a part of the characters past. "Suddenly so-and-so, looking at the moaning creatures walking toward her, remembered a time when blah blah blah."Maybe he did this as often in the first book, but I don't remember it. The story is still interesting, but definitely not as good a read as the other two books so far.

He does make a few pop culture references that I liked and gave a time frame for the story finally. Mentions The Walking Dead, and "The World War Z movie"
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

I'm reading the Game of Thrones book one.  I'm pretty well sucked in and not very proud of myself.  There are like, 3500 more pages of this crap and I can't stop reading it.

So far:

Every time there is some kind of gargoyle or skeleton or skull, it is described as seeming to watch someone.  Or someone feels like it has no love for him/her.  Etc.

I've read only four hundred pages and I don't know how many times I've come across the following formula: Blank character had enough Blank quality to (or not to) Blank reaction.

hbionic

Kind of like:

Dio had enough CF bullshtein one day that he finally dug his OWN ditch and threw himself in.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

SD

"No Easy Day" the book about the Osama raid has been moved up to September 4th due to popular demand. Amazon is accepting preorders.

SD

I'm reading a book about reading body language which is written by Allan and Barbara Pease. Fascinating stuff.