Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyGirl on September 08, 2005, 03:41:48 PM
Thanks. I've wanted to do that before. Some of the fluff books I read (chick lit) on occasion have chicks so farging dumb in them, I want to stab em. But since they are so stupid, its humorous, and therefore I continue to read them.

THis is more like people choosing to farg their lives with every single decision they make. Or doing completely nonsensicle things because they are going through epiphanies that they don't know how to deal with and doing stupid mindless shtein that drives the reader to the brink of insanity. I guess that's his point but I can't do it. Same reason I stopped readin Confederacy of Dunces.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Like depression?  Read some Hemingway.

I did a term paper on "A Farewell to Arms" in high school and felt like drinking myself to death.

PhillyPhanInDC

I just read a book by Richard Bachman, who turned out to be one of Stephen King's psuedonyms, called "The Regulators". I'm normally not a huge fan of King's, but this book absolutely kicked ass.  I bought it at Barnes and Noble for $1.00 in hardback. They had no idea who really wrote it. Go stuff.  :yay
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on September 08, 2005, 07:03:56 PM
I just read a book by Richard Bachman, who turned out to be one of Stephen King's psuedonyms, called "The Regulators". I'm normally not a huge fan of King's, but this book absolutely kicked ass.  I bought it at Barnes and Noble for $1.00 in hardback. They had no idea who really wrote it. Go stuff.  :yay

Get Desperation, by Stephen King. Almost the same story, told from a different perspective in a different town. A lot of tie-ins and cool story overlaps. I read them together when I was a teenager. Good stuff.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

Yeah I read Desperation when I was kid. Good damn book. I read some Stephen King, but never had the time nor patience to get into alot of his work. I was think about reading the whole dark tower series starting soon.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on September 09, 2005, 01:03:39 PM
Yeah I read Desperation when I was kid. Good damn book. I read some Stephen King, but never had the time nor patience to get into alot of his work. I was think about reading the whole dark tower series starting soon.

The Dark Tower series kicks ass. The last few books weren't as good as the first few, and King got a MAJOR God complex towards the end, but I would happily read every one of them alll over again.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Cerevant

Wow - you guys hit on almost everything I had in mind, but I think I can come up with a few new ones.

First, my thoughts on the books/series mentioned already:
Stephen King, The Dark Tower series - loved it.  Really messed up brain twisting...can't describe it.  Not a horror story.

Stephen King, The Stand - also loved it.  Again, outside the "typical" SK

Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time - If you liked Lord of the Rings, you will *love* this series.  Less dry than Tolkein.  Later books feel unfinished - I think the publisher wanted him to make more, shorter, books more often so the flow gets a little broken.  Still excellent.

J.R.R. Tolkein, The Lord of the Rings - can be a little dry, but the depth of his world is just amazing.

Tom Clancy, Jack Ryan novels - The early ones were the best, although I really enjoyed Executive Orders.  I was never able to get through Sum of all Fears...

Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's guide series - very funny if you like british humor.

Ok, now for some stuff that hasn't been mentioned:

Patricia Cornwell, Kay Scarpetta novels - if you like CSI, these are the books for you.  Excellent murder mystery, with good forensic detail.  Weak on computer tech knowledge, but I can ignore it if I try...

Michael Connelly - Also very good murder mysteries.  Love the Harry Bosch stuff, but his other work is just as good.

Harry Potter - Don't laugh - these are actually quite fun, and are reasonable adult reads.

Terry Pratchett, Discworld novels - Parody fantasy, these are hilarious, if you like Adams, you will like these as well.

C
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

rjs246

For Tolkein fans, I read the Silmarillion. Dry dry dry. But utterly amazing. I am a massive dork. I like dorky books and dorky movies, but if you like the LOTR that book is a must. Tolkein was a freaking genius.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Cerevant

Quote from: rjs246 on September 09, 2005, 04:47:24 PM
For Tolkein fans, I read the Silmarillion. Dry dry dry. But utterly amazing. I am a massive dork. I like dorky books and dorky movies, but if you like the LOTR that book is a must. Tolkein was a freaking genius.
Agreed - listening it on audio makes it much better.

audible.com is my friend.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

General_Failure

Quote from: rjs246 on September 09, 2005, 04:47:24 PM

No. I have it, can't read it. It's unreadable by sober people.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

I went out and bought that book If Football's A Religion, Why Don't We Have A Prayer and Anthony Gargano's book on last season...

I started out with Longman's book and I'm about 50 pages in. This is the one with Shoulderpad Sean on the dustjacket. I thought they just picked him to be on the cover like the Eagles picked him to be in their brochures for season tix. Wrong. The author talks about Sean a lot and has quotes from him...the story about him ripping his bicep muscle and his appendix bursting and him still going to the TB playoff game in 2001.

But other than the story on him....I have enjoyed the book so far. It's a day by day account so far starting right before the Dallas game last year when TO broke his leg.

I'll keep updating...but I enjoy it so far.

satoshi

I just bought From A Buick 8 by Stephen King. Anybody read it?

rjs246

Quote from: Satoshi on September 15, 2005, 06:08:06 AM
I just bought From A Buick 8 by Stephen King. Anybody read it?

I started it years go but couldn't really get into it. Let me know what you think.

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

I finished up Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell  by Susanna Clarke this week. It's basically 800 pages of dry British wit wound around a fictitious history of early 1800s England and the revival of practical English magic. The story drags on, you know, because it's British, but it stays entertaining to the end.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Zanshin

Wow...that sounds very much like something I wouldn't want to read.