Week 1 - Washington (NFL Team): Got That Pandemic

Started by MDS, September 05, 2020, 05:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: General_Failure on September 14, 2020, 10:38:50 AM
If only they had a good TE or two who they could rely on for a short passing game to keep Wentz off his back.

To what Jay said above, they threw the ball relentlessly early. The skins to their credit started rolling coverage towards the TE's after the Goedert td. Instead of trying to establish the run, short passes etc...they tried to force the ball to Hightower. I'm a Doug apologist and doesn't think he gets his due credit but yesterday his game plan and lack of adjustments were as bad as can be. Especially when he knew Wentz was struggling. Aside from Wentz throws being off holding onto the ball too long cost them just as man points. Also how bad has Elliott regressed that he's short on a 53 yard fg.

Diomedes

Hightower across the middle isn't going to work in the NFL.  I had visions of Pinkston.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Doug had Wentz throw 42 passes yesterday plus another eight where he got sacked.  That's fifty drop backs while being "protected" by an offensive line that resembled a small pox laced quilt. 

And the defense had two opportunities to pick up the offense after Wentz shtein the bed and they failed both times.  Good defenses don't do that.  Sorry.  And it happens way too often after the Birds score points.

QB Eagles

Also, is Wentz rolling out and/or running the ball just not a thing anymore? He's always been best out of the pocket, and yesterday the pocket looked like this anyway:

SD

He now rolls backwards so when he's sacked it's not a 2 yard loss but an 8

Diomedes

Sacks were, in order, on:

1.) rookies Driscoll and Herbig farging up.  Dricoll goes to help Clement against blitzing Safety and Herbig helps Kelce no one touches Ryan f'n Kerrigan, who is man enough for both of them, but neither even touches him
2.)  Kerrigan is great, snuffs out the screen and Wentz tried to be a hero instead of dumping or throwing away
3.)  Chase Young is all that, beats JP with Clement helping....Wentz should have thrown sooner....and also deserved to lose that fumble.  I think Wentz is the worst in the league for QB fumbles/ball protection
4.) Richard Rogers cannot be left to block Montez Sweat...that's on the coaches more than it is Rodgers...Seamalu had nothing to do on the play with no rusher anywhere near him.  Wentz had time to throw it away and didn't, again.
5.) OL gave Wentz enough time to step up and make a quick throw but that's all they could do...and I don't blame them..the Wash DL is legit.  Wentz does step up but no throw..then he retreats, by which time he's farged.  If he can't get rid of the ball when he steps into that pocket, nothing the OL can do for him
6.) Kelce picked the wrong advancing LB to square up for, Bostic unopposed for sack on 4th down...Wentz fails to see blitz coming despite looking that side of field...I put this one on a missed pick up by Kelce aided by a bad play call/no quick pass option for Wentz.
7.) Seamalu and Clement can't handle Kerrigan
8.) Ionnidas runs right through Herbig, pushing Wentz into trouble, Wentz doesn't even look at safety valve Goedert who was open...trying to get it to DeSean?

To summarize, I think the Wash DL is mad good, and they should get a lot of credit for that.  They feasted on a disorganized line as they should do.  Herbig, Driscoll, and then Mailata all facing trial by fire.  Only Mailata didn't contribute to a sack.  Driscoll wasn't bad.  Herbig was bad.  But Kelce, JP and Seamalu all had their own failures too.  Wentz did not help at all, could have kept the sack count to five or six if he would get rid of the ball like an NFL QB has to be able to do.

Scott...I love this guy.  What's his injury?
DeSean was on a pitch count?  WTF?  He was a non factor.  Is he hurt?
JJAW needs to be cut.  He's farging worthless.  F'n Hightower was targeted three or four times but JJAW not once in 28 snaps yesterday...get rid of him.
Did Pryor play at all?  Why was Herbig on the field instead of Pryor?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed. He just keeps backpedaling. The one sack that infuriated me most was before the missed long FG. He had ample time to throw it away. But he kept backpedaling.

And Dougie doubled down on his playcalling this morning. Like dude...that shtein may sell in Tennessee or Los Angeles but not here. We lived through Andy calling pass plays relentlessly even when the game screamed to have runs mixed it.

You have a young OL going up against a good front four. Run the ball for fargs sake.

Diomedes

I think "good" is an understatement.  The Washington d line has got to be one of the two or three best in the league. 

Diomedes

Baldinger highlights four straight passes...the INT to Moreau, the should-have-been INT right after it that went through two Wash players hands, the long miss to Raegor who for some reason slows up midway through the route but still smokes the D.. and just misses getting there in time, and then the awful throw to DeSean streaking open....I can't see what's going on in the pocket during these plays, but only one of these throws could be called even halfway decent (the miss to Reagor)

https://twitter.com/baldynfl/status/1305315986866876416 21

also...JP could be called for false start on nearly every play...the dude's initial kick is ALWAYS early.  I don't know how he gets away with it.

QB Eagles

IIRC the one to DeSean was a really wild heave out of a collapsing pocket. I'm not sure Wentz even had any idea where that ball was going. Practically an arm punt.

Diomedes

Doug says DeSean played only 54% of O snaps because, paraphrasing, they want to keep him fresh over the long haul.  Said they'll probably increase his reps as season progresses.

Diomedes

Doug: Nate Herbig "did well," "graded well," wouldn't say he's the starter.  "Wasn't perfect but felt comfortable with Herbig's play." 

Diomedes

Doug:  Vinny Curry and Craig James, significant injuries, won't be back for several weeks.  Miles, Lane, Barnett expected to get more practice, day by day, maybe back against Chargers.

General_Failure

So does dying on the field void Wentz's contract? I want to know how Herbig assisting his suicide is going to impact next year's cap.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Doug:  Rudy Ford and Darius Slay were two bright spots yesterday.