The 'Mass-Shooting In The US' thread

Started by Father Demon, February 14, 2008, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

No, no I think that's the procedure for doing a fat chick
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Don Ho

Quote from: hbionic on December 18, 2012, 02:47:14 AM
Well, that's because everyone knows what to do when an atom bomb hits; Stop. Drop. And Roll.

:-D  So that's how Chad Lewis survived Nagasaki.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: reese125 on December 18, 2012, 12:45:39 AM
jesus christ i barely knew where the fire exits were in grade school. all i knew was follow the teacher and group when the annoying fire alarm went off on fire drills--which meant free time in the school yard

kids practicing lock downs, code reds, active shooter response tactics? shtein is bananas

Been doing it since Columbine.

Diomedes

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on December 17, 2012, 04:09:09 PMCan anyone explain how a Mass Ban of guns would work?  I don't see where the government has the funds available to fund a program.

A total ban is ludicrous, and not being talked about seriously by anyone worth listening to.  Here off the top of my head is what I'd like to see.  Irrational politics of the pro-gun set aside, all of this could be accomplished.  And yes, it would be expensive but freedom isn't free and I'd remind you that what we've got going now is pretty goddamn costly too.

All gun owners (I am one) submit to a background check and must pass licensing requirements to keep their guns.  There will be a set period of time in which to accomplish this...say 18 months. Any illegal weapons in their possession (see below) are taken during this limited amnesty, and they can keep the rest assuming the background check and licensing goes well.  People who ignore the requirement, keep possession of their guns and don't get licenses become criminals and should they be found they will be treated according to the law.  Use anonymous crime tips hotlines for people to rat out gun criminals.   It's harsh, but the only way to make sure the only people who have guns are legal, is to get all the others out of the system.

Licensing to include heavy duty background checks.  Like you're applying to be a cop or something.  With actual smart people doing the investigations and judges overseeing them.  People who know the applicant will be asked questions.  Mental health records will be checked.  etc.

Licensing to include demonstration of practical competence and safety, and re-licensing will require re-testing for proficiency.

Mentally retarded people cannot get guns.  Crazy people can't get guns.  Children cannot get guns.  Violent felons cannot get guns.  (non-violent felons and other "criminals" can still own/apply.."

Ban on sale of assault weapons in all venues.  Possession of one becomes a crime, turn them in or face the consequences if you get busted with one.

Ban on large clips.

Ban on bullet proof vests.  Or maybe a license required in the case of your job is to sit in an armored car, etc, but they are gonna get a lot more scare and you're not going be able to buy one with your AR 15 from Walmart for your raid on the pre-school down the block.

Draconian prison terms for gun crimes, as I've described before.

Increased funding for mental health, whatever that means.  I'm not sure, but clearly we need to be offering people more/better help.  There are a lot of damaged people walking around out there and they are beginning to eat us alive for stranding them in our midst.

People who make guns and ammo will be taxed more (but not a crippling increase) to help pay for all this, and general goverment revenue will cover the rest.  That means we all pay more, or someone, like the bloated military, gets less.  Freedom isn't free.  It would be a lot cheaper in the long run to just ban and confiscate all guns.

Finally, we can't do this by law, but we could apply enough moral pressure as a community to get the media to limit coverage of the monsters who do these crimes.  Omit names and images of the shooter as much as possible.  Deprive them of the infamy they seek, and thereby signal to the next guy that he's not going to become a household name on account of throwing grenades into school busses.

edit:  I cannot figure out how to use bullet points.  I guess I fail the licensing requirements for :CF  Goddamnit.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

and underplayed, yet despicable aspect of this thing is the media.  farging blood suckers who were interviewing children hours after the shooting.  dr. phil who is broadcasting live from newtown to "help the community heal".  cnn, fox news, msnbc and all the other networks who keep showing this piece of shtein's picture on tv and saying his name and glorifying him and encouraging the next icehole to do it. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SD

Quote from: SunMo on December 18, 2012, 08:25:09 AM
and underplayed, yet despicable aspect of this thing is the media.  farging blood suckers who were interviewing children hours after the shooting.  dr. phil who is broadcasting live from newtown to "help the community heal".  cnn, fox news, msnbc and all the other networks who keep showing this piece of shtein's picture on tv and saying his name and glorifying him and encouraging the next icehole to do it.

Couldn't agree more. I'm curious about the killer but have no interest in researching him because farg that piece of shtein. If there's a hell I hope he's rotting in agonizing pain. The media needs to stop glorifying these mass shootings indirectly. "We're just reporting" is a crock of shtein, they're psychoanalazing him and his behavior...other nut balls see this and want to emulate this. This all starts with society not feeding into this...just like they don't show fans who run on the field during sporting events so they can discourage stupidity.

And what Dio said is spot on. Guns are free for all do what you want...well guess what...society can't handle it. Owning a gun should be like owning a car...you're required to take mandatory safety classes, you are subject to a strict background check, you're federally required to get a license...ALL guns are registered with a title. You want to sell you'd gun? You transfer ghd title same as you do a car. You break the law you get heavily fined and lose your right to bear arms. This isn't taking people's guns away which is an impossible and stupid premise...it's making gun owners take responsibility for owning a firearm.

phattymatty

definitely underplayed. other than the entire internet no one has been talking about that at all.

SunMo

other than a few people on twitter i haven't seen anybody talking about it.  sorry buddy.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Diomedes

David Brooks (Republican) was on NPR's All Things Considered last friday pointing out that the media plays a major role in creating the notoriety that mass killers crave, and talked about the idea of depriving them of it by getting the media to stop using their names, and doing the kind of coverage that we're talking about here.

p.s.  interviewing 5 years old witnesses about mass killings ought be qualify you for Hell.  farg people who think that's a good idea, and farg people who watch it.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

the best is when the news channels or talk shows do stories on whether the media is taking their coverage to far or are out of bounds in their coverage of the tradgedy

media went thru the looking glass a long time ago

i wanna farg the intestines out of erin burnett
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

Well, that's because everyone knows what to do when an atom bomb hits; Stop. Drop. And Roll.

In my school, the procedure was to hide under a desk or table and cover your head.

QuoteThis is powerful .. . .

COLUMBINE STUDENT'S FATHER 13 YEARS LATER !!
Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Columbine, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every Sociologist, every Psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone! My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!" - Darrell Scott
Like ยท

yeah prayer will stop bullets

ice grillin you

Quote from: Tomahawk on December 18, 2012, 11:09:11 AM
yeah prayer will stop bullets

and of all people shouldnt he know this best?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Tomahawk on December 18, 2012, 11:09:11 AM

In my school, the procedure was to hide under a desk or table and cover your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

General_Failure

Oh god, I heard that song so many times while playing Fallout: New Vegas.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Seabiscuit36

wait, you play video games?  Call the FBI
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons