The 'Mass-Shooting In The US' thread

Started by Father Demon, February 14, 2008, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 21, 2009, 10:16:00 AM
I wouldn't mind if they blew past the "terrorism" label, and just called it what it was: fundamentalist Muslim behavior.

can't say i agree with that one at all because i don't think that murderdeathkill is actually a fundamental of the muslim religion. 

Quote from: Diomedes on November 21, 2009, 12:44:24 PM
so long as we agree to call abortion clinic bombings fundamentalist christian behavior, sounds good to me.

don't know what you'd call Timothy McVeigh or the Unibomber

obviously the same goes here. 

all i'd like to see is a spade called a spade.  attach the terrorism label to this guy if you want to but when some white jesus extremist blows up an abortion clinic, then he needs to be labeled a terrorist as well because he's using terrorist tactics to promote his religious beliefs. 

same thing goes for anti-gov't people who blow up gov't buildings.  it's an act of terrorism to promote political beliefs. 

it really does sicken me that high ranking member of our government are only using the terrorist/ism label when muslims of middle east decent with muslim names are involved but not when whitey does the same thing.  it's simply perpetuating a stereotype that makes non-muslims afraid of muslims. 

Seabiscuit36

couldnt have said it better.  Apparently terrorism is only terrorism when its a sanctioned event by AlQueda, and they have a copyright on the term.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

lol @ al queda getting funded with copyright royalties. 

shorebird

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 21, 2009, 01:10:24 PM
all i'd like to see is a spade called a spade.  attach the terrorism label to this guy if you want to but when some white jesus extremist blows up an abortion clinic, then he needs to be labeled a terrorist as well because he's using terrorist tactics to promote his religious beliefs. 

same thing goes for anti-gov't people who blow up gov't buildings.  it's an act of terrorism to promote political beliefs. 

I couldn't agree more. I feel McVeigh is just as much a terrorist as the pilots of the 911 jets.

Diomedes

the pilots were alright, it was the hijackers were the problem
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

Well, the terrorist that piloted the plans into the building then.

What gets me though, is that this guy was a officer in the United States Army who probably was in contact with terrorist organizations, schemed and plotted to murder his fellow soldiers, and then actually carried out this terrible act. But still, all some people want to talk about is wether or not to call this cretin a terrorist or not, because someone like McVeigh wasn't. Who gives a crap how his is labeled politically?? I mean, I'll call him a terrorist just because. Call McVeigh a terrorist, the Unibomber, the D.C. sniper, all of 'em. Is it that big a deal when people, innocent mothers and pregnant woman, little kids like the ones at day care in the Oklahoma City bombing are friggen' being murdered?

I think there is way, way too much emphasis put on being politically correct in this country. Every thing, person or act has to be labeled with a certain name or phrase and if you don't call it like those who think they know, you are an ignorant radical. Maybe I'll call Nidel Hasan what he really is, terrorist or not, a murdering treasonist cowardly piece of shtein who needs to be marched in front of a firing squad. He killed nurses, doctors, and a pregnant mother among others. And our government that went overseas and killed thousands supposedly to help protect us from terrorism might have known about him and possibly could have prevented this murderous act saving the lives of the people who swore an oath to protect ours, did absolutely nothing probably because of the political repercussions that would have came from the army calling out a Muslim.  That and the loss of the lives of the soldiers is were my thoughts are.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 21, 2009, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 21, 2009, 10:16:00 AM
I wouldn't mind if they blew past the "terrorism" label, and just called it what it was: fundamentalist Muslim behavior.

can't say i agree with that one at all because i don't think that murderdeathkill is actually a fundamental of the muslim religion. 

I'm using the term "fundamentalist" in it's proper meaning. Someone who goes by the letter of the law in their book. The whole jihad thing is specifically pointed out in the Qur'an. Those who act accordingly, using the word of their book as a motivation, are acting as fundamentalists. And here is the issue.

And here is where it gets dicey. Those who say that Islam is a kind and peaceful religion are either not fundamentalists, or they are being dishonest.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Diomedes on November 21, 2009, 12:44:24 PM
so long as we agree to call abortion clinic bombings fundamentalist christian behavior, sounds good to me.

I'm not sure that Christian doctrine specifically permits - or even instructs its practitioners - to do such things. But if you can find specific cases, then yes...it would fit by definition.

shorebird

Hasan paralyzed from the waist down. Good, guess we don't have to worry about him making a run for it.

QuoteMr. Galligan did not immediately respond to phone or e-mail messages seeking comment. Mr. Galligan previously said Mr. Hasan is paralyzed from the waist down. Speaking to reporters after the ruling, Mr. Galligan expressed concern that the judicial process would negatively affect his client's treatment.

The hearing on Saturday was closed to the public and the news media. A spokesman for the Army at Fort Hood did not answer messages. The ruling came as more concerns emerged about Mr. Hasan's connection to a radical Muslim cleric, Anwar al-Awlaki, and whether counterterrorism officials did enough after intercepting e-mail messages Mr. Hasan sent to Mr. Awlaki.

In Washington, several Congressional committees are assessing whether counterterrorism officials from the Defense Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation should have opened an investigation this year after intercepting the messages.

Senator Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who is the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said after a closed briefing by Defense Department officials on Friday that the committee was considering whether officials on the Joint Terrorism Task Force who examined the e-mail messages were negligent in not alerting Army officials and others to the exchange.

"That's one of the many, many things we're going to look into," Senator Levin said. He also suggested the government might have intercepted other e-mail messages sent by Major Hasan, saying the committee was studying "whether or not other alleged e-mails that existed were properly handled as well." Senator Levin declined to elaborate on the possible additional e-mail messages that the F.B.I. intercepted, which The Washington Post disclosed on Saturday.

I wonder how many if any of these types of messages are intercepted. Does it happen daily, weekly? Is it like Sarge says? One guy on an army base isn't a threat or just plain doesn't warrant attention?? Is there that much of this kind of crap going on that it put Hasan so far down on the list, he was just ignored? That thought makes me wanna' puke. All those millions being spent, all the lives lost overseas, and stuff like this on our home soil goes virtually unnoticed by the people in charge. Were are this countries priorities? I'll tell you were, in the friggen' crapper, thats were.

Diomedes

Quote from: shorebird on November 22, 2009, 08:38:02 AMI wonder how many if any of these types of messages are intercepted. Does it happen daily, weekly? Is it like Sarge says? One guy on an army base isn't a threat or just plain doesn't warrant attention?? Is there that much of this kind of crap going on that it put Hasan so far down on the list, he was just ignored?

There is so much spying and surveilling of U.S. citizens by the government going on that yes, I think that's exactly what happened.  It got lost in the great wave of chatter the spooks are collecting and sifting through.  Obviously, what we need to do to prevent this is more spying.  Obviously, we need government out of health care, economic regulation, environmental oversight, and education...but we just can't get enough military government to be safe.  Once every American is being tracked, this kind of thing won't happen any more.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

JFC, is that what you're getting from my post, that I think we need more spying? Geez, if thats the way I'm coming across I'm sorry. What I mean is bring home our troops, take that money and protect our borders, and if counter terrorism is going to let something like this happen then whats the point?

General_Failure

Its not like the military is issuing press releases every time they find someone going a little crazy and deal with them.

The man. The myth. The legend.

shorebird

Yeah, but even with all the spying going on the military wasn't even informed, and didn't even get the chance to deal with Hasan.

phillymic2000

This was a terrorist attack, plain and simple.

Diomedes

Quote from: shorebird on November 22, 2009, 09:23:28 AMJFC, is that what you're getting from my post, that I think we need more spying?

No man, I just took your post and ran off on a jag.  It was fun at the time.  You're kinda sensitive, huh?

Nothing will prevent the lone gunman in the U.S.  Nothing.  Spy all you want, cc everyone in the world who could possibly care, whatever.  A dude with a gun killing dozens is as American as apple pie.