The 'Mass-Shooting In The US' thread

Started by Father Demon, February 14, 2008, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

hbionic

I agree with what phreak said.

Teaching is one of the most stressful, poorly paid positions in all of the universe. I went out with a teacher. They take it from all ends, administration, co-workers, parents, and the shtein heads they have to put up with for 8 hours a day. A teacher is probably the last person I want with a gun. Their potential propencity to snap is out the roof, I think alcohol and sex with students is the only thing that keeps teachers grounded.

hbionic

By the way, in a sad, news eats news type of way, pro-choice advocates just exhaled with the news of gun control taking center stage.

General_Failure

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on December 17, 2012, 07:11:51 PM
on a side note - the Daily Mail seems to always have pretty in-depth USA coverage despite being a British joint

British media knows how to pick the bones of a carcass better than anyone.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: hbionic on December 17, 2012, 07:40:01 PM
I agree with what phreak said.

Teaching is one of the most stressful, poorly paid positions in all of the universe. I went out with a teacher. They take it from all ends, administration, co-workers, parents, and the shtein heads they have to put up with for 8 hours a day. A teacher is probably the last person I want with a gun. Their potential propencity to snap is out the roof, I think alcohol and sex with students is the only thing that keeps teachers grounded.

Personally, I'd probably be more likely to accidentally Plaxico myself in the leg.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: SunMo on December 17, 2012, 08:42:09 AM
somehow this tragedy went from "that poor community, families, children..." to a self-serving opportunity for teachers to spout off about what they do for our children and whatever are they going to do and say on Monday.

farging jerkoffs.

Here are my two cents about what happened today.   I know you want to hear this... :D

Honestly, I decided that I would try to answer any questions the students brought to me, but not to start anything myself for a few different reasons.  First, I have no real good answers to give for far too many of those questions.  Secondly, I'd like to keep things as normal for the kids as possible.  Lastly, midterm exams are this week, and the kids really need the time in class to review and prepare for those.

And to be frank, not a single student asked about the shootings in class.  I found that interesting.

One thing did change today for my homeroom.  Usually I show the CNN Student News as the students are coming in,  Today, we were asked by administration to refrain from showing it, probably for much the same reasons that I chose to not focus on the tragedy.  Interestingly, we did get an e-mail from our admin offering counseling if we needed it as staff.  It was obviously also available to any kids that needed it.   As much as it could be between the tragedy, the holiday season and the impending midterms, it was a fairly normal day.

According to my wife, her school did much the same thing.  They had their normally-scheduled prayer service (it is a Christian school) and did offer prayers to the victims, but otherwise kept things pretty low-key.

As a parent, my wife and I did try to talk to our children about the tragedy over the weekend, trying to appropriately give the kids the information they needed.  Like everything else, some kids will know nothing, and others know far too many details for comfort.  We rather would have the kids hear it first from us rather than from a friend.

hbionic

Thanks for sharing that perspective.

It's nice to get a view from the inside from an arena that I would assume would have reverberations about the shootings such as another school and students and staff who attend it.

Geo, what about you...I know that as a student, when I was the J.C., after the V-Tech shootings, it was in the back of my mind as I sat there and thought about what I would do if someone started shooting. I started sitting at the end of the row at the aisle just to have a quick exit and hopefully improve my survival rate. Do you personally have a plan for an incident such as this?

rjs246

When you are spending time thinking about your best exit strategy from your classroom in the event of a classroom shooting you should probably think about dropping out of school and killing yourself. If Geo has some sort of ready answer to your question, as though he has also spent time thinking about this, I'll be shocked. Awful things happen in the world, it's worth talking about. But if your at school you're infintiely safer than you are just about anywhere else and you should probably focus on learning your dumb ass some edumacation. Just sayin.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

hbionic

I was getting an A in the class and I have a Pentium chip in my brain and I am able to process thoughts which take seconds and not hours at a time thus not creating a conflict in whatever I have embarked on. You should get the upgrade. It's worth it.

I would be surprised if Geo did not have a semblance of a plan. I'm curious now to know. Geo, to the stage! Geo!

hbionic

Also, 1 band left. 3 have been spoken for already. If no one else, I'll use the extra one as a cock-ring. Obviously I'll have to tie it around a few times, but still.

Geowhizzer

If I'm in class, I have to worry about the students first.  If I'm at home, I have to worry about my wife and kids first.  They can't have me thinking about my safety first.  Just part of the responsibilities I've accepted as part of my work and family.

The school has a "code red" drill that we have to practice several times per year.  Code Red = shooter on campus.  Personally, I think we make ourselves sitting ducks in that drill if there was a real shooter looking for a specific target, but there are not any better options that we have come up with.  Basically, we take the kids into our central planning area (four classroom share one planning area), turn off all lights and hunker down.

Munson

Most of the elementary schools I've been in have bathrooms in their classrooms now, which is a good option for at least a bunch of students (they're usually decent sized)

We didn't have that shtein when I was in elementary school...sheeeit.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

reese125

jesus christ i barely knew where the fire exits were in grade school. all i knew was follow the teacher and group when the annoying fire alarm went off on fire drills--which meant free time in the school yard

kids practicing lock downs, code reds, active shooter response tactics? shtein is bananas

General_Failure

At least they're not practicing for atomic bombs anymore.

The man. The myth. The legend.

hbionic

Well, that's because everyone knows what to do when an atom bomb hits; Stop. Drop. And Roll.