Dawk keeping his eyes on the prize...

Started by Feva, August 28, 2005, 05:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feva

http://www.nj.com/eagles/expresstimes/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1125231290309930.xml&coll=2

QuoteCaptain Dawkins sets the standard
Sunday, August 28, 2005

By NICK FIERRO

The Express-Times

As he grows older at a snail's pace, Brian Dawkins' sense of urgency grows exponentially.

The free safety knows he's in the fourth quarter of his career with the Eagles and, because he'll turn 32 in October, he also knows there will be no overtime with the only pro team for which he's ever played. The Eagles just don't work that way.

So it is this year and this year only that matters to Dawkins, whose focus and desire have never been sharper since the team's 24-21 Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots last February.

"I can only hope it drives a lot of guys," Dawkins said. "As for me, it definitely drove me this offseason. I can honestly say that in my training sessions, my mind was focused on that, on the fact that those last couple of steps off the field was somebody else celebrating once again in a big game. That is something that definitely fueled me this offseason.

"Personally, I don't want that to happen again, and I'm going to do everything in my power, as far as my ability goes, not to have that happen again."

Dawkins has made four Pro Bowls, is seventh on the team's all-time interception list with 25, and has accumulated 427 return yards on those picks, good for third on the team's all-time list. During this season's training camp, he was labeled by Sports Illustrated football expert Paul Zimmerman as one of the 17 active players who are sure to be headed to the Hall of Fame after retirement. Zimmerman called him "definitely the best free safety for half a dozen years."

Plucked by the Eagles in the second round of the 1996 draft, the Clemson University graduate has played in more games as an Eagle than any current player. His 13 playoff games are the most in franchise history.

Dawkins is the kind of player who could put an opponent in a hospital with a vicious hit but be the first to lead a prayer vigil at his bedside. He is considered by most NFL insiders to be the hardest-hitting free safety in the game today.

While Dawkins appreciates all that and could not be more proud of what he's been able to accomplish in his nine seasons, he only wants what he doesn't have.

His willingness to do whatever it takes to get it is what has placed him among the league's elite and what is constantly rubbing off on his coaches and teammates.

"I just think there are times," defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said, "when you have to have guys like Brian Dawkins, who just have that mental toughness temperament."

Rookie running back Ryan Moats wasn't in training camp more than a week before he noticed the intangible that separates Dawkins from just about everyone else.

"That man right there, Brian Dawkins, he's consistent," Moats said. "He's in the correct spot all the time. I've got a lot of good people to learn from on this team, even on defense and with their character."

Johnson has talked to his players about becoming a little more physical, a little nastier, by the time they open their season Sept. 12 in Atlanta. In Dawkins, he has the right player to help set the tone.

"(Johnson) kind of leaves it up to me and Dawk to set the tempo, to go out and make big hits and get everybody fired up," middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter said, "and everybody seems to fall in line after we set the tempo."

Dawkins leads by more than example, however. He is as outspoken or tight-lipped as he needs to be, depending on the situation.

And no situation was more bizarre than the one petulant wide receiver Terrell Owens created throughout training camp, when he mostly sulked and never socialized on the field during the first week, eventually was suspended, then ripped his coaches and quarterback Donovan McNabb, creating a firestorm of controversy that threatened to permeate the team.

Dawkins, the diplomat, never allowed that last part to happen with him. And like so many times in the past, the rest of the players fell into line.

"To have the things that have happened this offseason and going into training camp, it has been a lot different than anything I've experienced," Dawkins admitted.

At the same time, he reiterated, the Owens saga is only a distraction if the players allow it to be.

"So you just take it for what it is and understand that this is a situation where you have a star receiver, one of the best at what he does, a lot of media attention," Dawkins said. "But none of that changes what we do on the field. And through all of this, what I think is kind of getting lost a little bit is the fact that we're trying to push for another Super Bowl. And that's what we're focused on.

"All of this stuff, it has to be talked about. It's something that happened. But at the same time, we're trying to focus on what we have to do to get back to the Super Bowl and win it. Everything else will be handled how it needs to be handled."

Dawkins' primary objective this season, besides winning the Super Bowl, is to help some of the other defensive players gain the edge he's had for nearly a decade.

"What you have to try to do is you kind of try to find out what pushes each guy," Dawkins said. "Some guys like to be to themselves a little bit and focus that way, and you have to respect that. Other guys, if you say one little thing to them, then they are ready to go. So you have to try to find those things, and I think we kind of know what gets each guy going."

There is no doubt Dawkins, who has taken more of a vocal leadership role since the departure of cornerback Troy Vincent after the 2003 season, will push the right buttons.

This is his time -- fleeting, but glorious.

Damn... I've got a SERIOUS man crush on this guy.  ;D
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Sgt PSN

This part worries me though

QuoteThe free safety knows he's in the fourth quarter of his career with the Eagles and, because he'll turn 32 in October, he also knows there will be no overtime with the only pro team for which he's ever played. The Eagles just don't work that way.

If Dawk finishes his career with another team I think will be more devestated than when we lost Reggie White. 

rjs246

I think you can pretty much bank on him ending his career elsewhere unless he opts for an early retirement. That's the way this team works. He'll always be an Eagle though.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

He can be an Eagle, but he'll have to sign 1-2 year deals for less money than he could get elsewhere. Doubt that happens, but it will have certainley been a great ride when it does end.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Dawk's my favorite current player (perhaps co-number 1 all time with Keith Byars), but he'll probably move on when his current deal expires.  Like he said himself, the Eagles just don't work that way.

That said, I hope he plays the rest of his NFL life with the Eagles.  8)

BigEd76

His deal is up after the '06 season....  :(

Feva

I knew you guys would take note of that part...   :boom

I'm just holding out hope that Dawk will do as Trotter did (the 2nd time around) and put the Eagles before the money in order to stay in Philly.  To tell you the truth... I really wouldn't put it past him to do it either.

I'll tell you... being down here in ATL, I have a hard enough time seeing Ike Reese in a Falcon uniform... I don't even want to think about seeing Dawk in another uniform.  :-\
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PhillyGirl

This is the only player that I don't think will be tossed to the curb after 2006, as long as he still plays THEN as he does now. Dawkins is not Hugh, Trotter, Ike Reese, Vincent, Taylor, etc....he's on a whole different level and Reid knows this, as does Banner and Lurie. This guy will retire an Eagle. As long as he plays this and next year without a signifcant dropoff (a la Vincent and Taylor)
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

General_Failure

If you didn't say that someone would be sleeping on the couch tonight.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen