We're All Gonna Die

Started by Geowhizzer, March 07, 2020, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunt

we skipped my brother's 4th of july cookout after finding out he invited friends (in addition to family). of course, my mother still went...and goes to stores, restaurants, & everything else like covid-19 isn't even happening. 
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

Rome

10,000 farging positives A DAY(!) and I still have people in my life arguing it's a hoax. 

Most of them aren't friends.  They're colleagues and acquaintances, but still, that's more taxing to me than the actual threat of the virus.  We have few close friends as it is here and most of them have been really disappointing through this.

Wherever, though.  Stick with your loved ones.  You can always make better friends. 

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

That's the county I teach in.  Woo.

Geowhizzer

Florida's Education Commissioner issued an order today. All schools fully open beginning in August. 

https://twitter.com/CBSMiami/status/1280306194549219330

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Munson on July 06, 2020, 03:58:29 PM
https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1280198836397506566

Oh my god. Lock the mother up. Like I mentioned in the DeSean thread; the world has gone mad.

One of my customers told me his experience today. Spent three weeks in bed. Fever, fatigue like he never experienced before, loss of taste and smell, urges to vomit, etc.

I've come to some minor acceptance that I'm going to get it. It's too rampant to not. I can't lock myself inside so the best I can do it increase my distancing and sanitizing. I just hope that my, OT what I believe to be, rock solid immune system shuns it. I don't get sick. I used to maybe get a cold a year if that. I've had the full blown flu once back in 2008.

Munson

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 07, 2020, 12:01:44 AM
Florida's Education Commissioner issued an order today. All schools fully open beginning in August. 

https://twitter.com/CBSMiami/status/1280306194549219330

DeSantis must hve seen that coronavirus party story and decided "hey, what if we have coronavirus parties with two thousand kids at a time, all over the state?!"
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

Don't worry guys, you'll only be at risk for a couple of weeks before a couple thousand kids and adults get it and you're all sent home again.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: General_Failure on July 07, 2020, 09:54:30 AM
Don't worry guys, you'll only be at risk for a couple of weeks before a couple thousand kids and adults get it and you're all sent home again.

Munson

Quote from: General_Failure on July 07, 2020, 09:54:30 AM

Trying to tell parents who are insistent schools go back in the fall around here that this is by far the most likely scenario and their kids are gonna end up at home anyway has been great.

I don't usually solicit parenting advice because my kid is only 1, especially to parents of school age kids, but...is it out of line to say that most of these parents just don't want to put in the month or two of work it would require to get their kids to take at home school seriously? Obviously for poorer parents there are some differences but most of the whining I'm seeing are from middle class White parents who just dont want to deal with being the "bad guy" and taking away their kid's games and iPads and etc for a few weeks until their kids learn to sit their ass down in front of their computer and attend their teacher's zooms and do the work just like you would in class.

They'd all much rather just sacrifice a few teachers (and possibly students?) lives for a few weeks of peace before their kid is back home again and not at all prepared to get the most out of at home
Learning because their parents didn't bother preparing them for it.

Our district is rumored to be releasing a plan next week I think.

General_Failure

Let us know what color crayon the plan is written in.

Munson

Lol might as well be considering it'll probably have to be scrapped by September anyway the way our cases are growing here.

https://twitter.com/shattered_earth/status/1280373218369392641

:boom

Geowhizzer

Most of the parents just see the need to get back to work to pay the mounting bills.

Also, it would take nothing less than a complete and total catastrophe for the state of Florida to shut down the schools again.  This is a hill that DeSantis is willing (for citizens) to die on.

General_Failure

He's gone full Lord Farquaad.

Diomedes

My kids had between one and two hours of zoom based class each day until school was out.  They did well in it, I've since learned that our school really has done better than most.  My almost 8 year old daughter is Title One, getting 10 hours zoom instruction per week.  She calls it her meeting and is kicking ass.  I think we're lucky.

But if the kids can't go to school, I can't work. That's not just a stress on income, it's a stress on family life.
I am not a teacher.  Not my training, not my skills.
Your kid's whining is annoying; my own kids' whining makes me want to stab eyeballs out.
I'm desperate to not have them all day every day, to go work again, etc.

You may in fact just have a bunch of shallow worthless people but I think it's safe to say that this home schooling is real trouble in many homes.

I honestly can't say that we're leaning one way or the other right now, depending what plan is announced,and how things go in near future.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger