We're All Gonna Die

Started by Geowhizzer, March 07, 2020, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Diomedes

that's great..."who the farg is supposed to even see you?" lol
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Larry Hogan gonna shut the State of MD down to essential business only at press conference at 11 a.m. today.

Been stalled with red tape and other bullshtein-architects are the worst-on the biggest project of my career.  Can't move along until the concrete sub does his thing, and finally got him scheduled for...you guessed it....today.  He's rained out for today, which is a good thing because the last thing we need is to dig half a footer and then be shut down for weeks upon weeks.  Frustrating.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

I'm trying to do "professional development" to prepare for distance learning (since we were on spring break last week, we're a week late getting started).  My wife is trying to run her classes remotely.  My two kids are trying to keep focused on their school assignments.  Every computer is playing some video.

If I'm not dead or in jail at the end of this process, it will be  a minor miracle...

phattymatty

Quote from: Diomedes on March 23, 2020, 07:22:43 AM
Larry Hogan gonna shut the State of MD down to essential business only at press conference at 11 a.m. today.

Been stalled with red tape and other bullshtein-architects are the worst-on the biggest project of my career.  Can't move along until the concrete sub does his thing, and finally got him scheduled for...you guessed it....today.  He's rained out for today, which is a good thing because the last thing we need is to dig half a footer and then be shut down for weeks upon weeks.  Frustrating.

DC doing the same thing at 11 - might even be the same press conference.

I had to take a quick drive through the city this morning and construction sites are all going on like nothing has changed.

the park across the street from me was farging packed yesterday.  I wanted to run over there and start kicking people in the face.

PhillyPhreak54

This is why you will continue to see construction going - my boss made sure to send this out this morning since my county is expect to follow DFW and shut down

QuoteHomeland Security Declares Wood Products Industry Essential

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced March 16, 2020 that workers that support the manufacture and distribution of forest products, including, but not limited to timber and other wood products, are deemed essential critical infrastructure workers. These workers "have a special responsibility" to maintain their current work schedule according to guidance issued by the President regarding COVID-19. See U.S. Department of Homeland Security

SD

I get the social distancing but why not use this as an opportunity to pave the all the roads? The workers are outdoors and already wear gloves and masks.

ice grillin you

phew

QuoteMaryland restaurant and alcohol carryout may continue,  Md Commerce secretary Kelly Schulz said.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on March 23, 2020, 10:59:02 AM
I get the social distancing but why not use this as an opportunity to pave the all the roads? The workers are outdoors and already wear gloves and masks.

its not infrastructure week yet
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

Our governor announced yesterday a stay at home order that begins tomorrow at 8 AM.

Quote from: Geowhizzer on March 23, 2020, 10:01:17 AM
I'm trying to do "professional development" to prepare for distance learning (since we were on spring break last week, we're a week late getting started).  My wife is trying to run her classes remotely.  My two kids are trying to keep focused on their school assignments.  Every computer is playing some video.

If I'm not dead or in jail at the end of this process, it will be  a minor miracle...

Our district still hasn't announced official plans yet. They're worried about the equity problem with kids not having devices or internet access at home. Still not sure what the final verdict is gonna be.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Geowhizzer

My district was ahead of the curve on that one.  All of our middle and high schools already have Chromebooks, the district was able to purchase extra to distribute to elementary students, and have made hotspots available to families that need it.

On top of that, teachers are being instructed to make a hard copy available (how I am supposed to supply that from 30 miles away, I'm not sure) for any student that asks for one.

Diomedes

All of you teachers and administrators are sorely mistaken if you think parents are going to accomplish even a third of the instruction that happens under your direction at school.

We are doing our level best to keep the children on task but there's a reason I send them to school.  I'm not a professional teacher.  Morevoer, the children behave very differently with their parents than they do with you, and we can't kick them out. 

On good days, we get some work done.  On bad days, we completely let go.  Fighting with my children to get schoolwork done does far more harm to them, and us, than whatever good might come from a few lessons in a workbook.

I encourage you to send that message to your bosses, and to the degree they insist on pushing you, to disobey them. 

We have much bigger issues to deal with than keeping up with school work.

Geowhizzer

Trust me, I'm expecting very little.  We're in survival mode right now.

If nothing else, I'm hoping to give my students a little sense of... normalcy (all apologies to Warren G. Harding)? 

At this point, I think that we're not going back this school year (though some of Trump's latest rumblings makes me wonder).  I think your kids are younger, which makes it that much harder.  I have mainly advanced 8th graders... and I'm still expecting a lot of hiccups in this process.

One of the mantras today has been "grade with grace," so my guess is that any student attempting to get work done will be given a lot of leeway.

Really, what gains are made in this stretch is gravy.  We're all just hanging on.

Rome

Kids are scared shteinless right now.  Expecting them to do school work during this calamity is the height of stupidity.  I'd say farg it and let them play all day long.  If they * want * to do some school work, great.  Have at it.  Meanwhile mom and dad will be over here figuring out how to keep the lights on and a roof over your head for the next year or so.