Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Not to mention their righteous half-price apps and $2 Miller Lite drafts!

General_Failure

And their lumpy as farg mashed potatoes make me feel better about how lumpy mine come out sometimes.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

if you guys are lucky there is an applebees in hell
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on December 12, 2012, 08:11:50 PM
Bennigans had good potato skins.  That's it.  Thats the list

About 10 years ago I was bangin a Bennigans waitress/bartender. She used to bring me baked potato soup which wasn't half bad.  It's hard to farg up any combination of a potato/bacon/cheese. You could chuck that shtein in a blender with some sour cream and that shtein would be bangin.

phattymatty

I've only been to one Bennigan's in my life, I watched the UMD-Indiana final there in NoVa...and the only reason I remember is because literally every server there was a George Mason student trying to sell drugs during work. Literally anything you could ever want was in that place.

But the reason I opened this thread is because that old MA lady who wrote that awesome Olive Garden review that we all laughed about last year was a judge on Top Chef tonight.

And she got a book deal from Anthony Bourdain. You shouldn't get famous for being awful.

Also, has anyone ever went from so badass to so lame as much as that guy? I say no. He literally epitomizes (not even sure if thats the right word) everything that he hated his entire career. I mean I can't say I wouldn't but still, I used to idolize that guy as much as I ever could for a celeb. There's no punk left in him, all trendy bitch now.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on December 12, 2012, 10:19:49 PM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on December 12, 2012, 08:11:50 PM
Bennigans had good potato skins.  That's it.  Thats the list

About 10 years ago I was bangin a Bennigans waitress/bartender. She used to bring me baked potato soup which wasn't half bad.  It's hard to farg up any combination of a potato/bacon/cheese. You could chuck that shtein in a blender with some sour cream and that shtein would be bangin.

potato flavored glue is bangin?....who knew

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

11 Amazing Facts about the McDonald's McRib
By Dina Spector and Kim Bhasin | Business Insider – Tues, Dec 18, 2012

The McDonald's McRib is back, hitting restaurants nationwide today. The legendary boneless pork sandwich, famously molded to resemble a rack of ribs, is both a feat of modern engineering and shrewd marketing.

It garners almost as much attention for its pseudo-meat shape as its impermanence on restaurant menus.

The barbecue-sauce-smothered sandwich was supposed to return at the end of October, but was pushed back to help boost end-of-the-year sales.

Better late than never.

1. The McRib came about because of a shortage of chickens.

In a 2009 interview with Maxim, Rene Arend, McDonald's first executive chef and inventor of the Chicken McNugget, explains that the McNugget was so popular when it was first introduced in 1979 that demand quickly outstripped chicken supply.

The legendary pork sandwich was developed out of necessity. Franchises that didn't have the Chicken McNugget needed a new hot-selling product — and that's when Arend scrambled back to the test kitchen.

2. The McRib was inspired by Southern BBQ.

Flickr/Southern Foodways AllianceRene Arend modeled the McRib after the barbecue-sauce-slathered pork sandwiches he ate during a visit to Charleston, South Carolina.

The decorated French-trained chef, who once whipped up fancy culinary creations for the Drake Hotel, is also credited with coming up the unique shape of the sandwich.

Although the McRib doesn't contain a single bone, Arend suggested the meat be patterned after a slab of ribs instead of the classic round patty.

3. The McRib is a product of "restructured meat technology."

Rene Arend came up with the idea and design of the McRib, but it's a professor from the University of Nebraska named Richard Mandigo who developed the "restructured meat product" that the McRib is actually made of.

According to an article from Chicago magazine, which cites a 1995 article by Mandigo, "restructured meat product" contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.

4. The whole process from fresh pork to frozen McRib takes about 45 minutes.

Director of McDonald's U.S. supply chain Rob Cannell explained how regular pig gets transformed into the famed McRib in an interview with Maxim: "The McRib is made in large processing plants—lots of stainless steel, a number of production lines, and these long cryogenic freezers. The pork meat is chopped up, then seasoned, then formed into that shape that looks like a rib back. Then we flash-freeze it. The whole process from fresh pork to frozen McRib takes about 45 minutes."

5. The entire McRib sandwich contains about 70 ingredients — including a flour-bleaching agent used in yoga mats.

As it appears out of the box, the McRib sandwich consists of just five basic components: a pork patty, barbecue sauce, pickle slices, onions, and a sesame bun.

But, as recently reported by Time magazine, a closer inspection of McDonald's own ingredient list reveals that the pork sandwich contains a total of 70 ingredients. This includes azodicarbonamide, a flour-bleaching agent often used in the production of foamed plastics.

The entire sandwich packs a whopping 500 calories, 26 grams of fat, 44 grams of carbs, and 980 milligrams of sodium.

6. The McRib debuted in 1981, disappeared in 1985, and has resurfaced from time-to-time since 1994.

Depending on where you read, McDonald's introduced the boneless pork sandwich sometime between 1981 and 1982. The fast-food concoction vanished in 1985, only to reappear as a limited-edition item in 1994.

The McRib has become something of a legend for its on-and-off appearances on McDonald's menus. The fleeting nature of the sandwich has generated a cult-like following.

7. Individual restaurants can actually order the ingredients for the McRib at any time.

The McRib pops up at McDonald's locations across the country sporadically. It's so random because the individual restaurants are able to offer the McRib whenever they feel like it. The practice has even inspired websites devoted to tracking McRib availability across the nation.

8. McDonald's keeps the McRib scarce because the sandwich's entire brand relies on it.

McDonald's has always known about its customers' weird obsession for the sandwich, and its marketing completely leverages the McRib's scarcity. Take its "Save The McRib" campaign in 2010, where it encouraged McRib fans to go online and sign a petition to keep the sandwich around for a while longer.

But a strategy like that only works with something that's as popular as the McRib is. If you make an unknown item scarce, nobody's going to care.

9. It'd be incredibly difficult for McDonald's to create more McRib-esque products, because that cult-like following is so hard to replicate.

McRib lovers are fanatical, but it wouldn't be this way if the phenomenon hadn't had decades to marinate in the hearts and minds of its fans. A wholly devoted fanbase for a new product would take years to develop, and even then, there's no guarantee that it would work.

McDonald's struck gold with the McRib, and it doesn't want to do anything to affect its brand. Even now, by offering the McRib nationwide twice just a year apart, it's walking a fine line. At what point will consumers get sick of it?

10. There's also speculation that the McRib is really just a big commodity trade by McDonald's.

The Awl's Willey Staley argues that whenever the sandwich springs up, hog prices are almost always in a trough.

Here's more of his argument on why McDonald's behaves like a trader: "Fast food involves both hideously violent economies of scale and sad, sad end users who volunteer to be taken advantage of. What makes the McRib different from this everyday horror is that a) McDonald's is huge to the point that it's more useful to think of it as a company trading in commodities than it is to think of it as a chain of restaurants b) it is made of pork, which makes it a unique product in the QSR world and c) it is only available sometimes, but refuses to go away entirely."

11. Animal rights group sues McRib meat supplier over inhumane treatment of pigs.

Not everyone is ecstatic about the return of the McRib. Last November, the Humane Society of the United States filed a lawsuit against Smithfield Foods, the pork supplier of McDonald's McRib meat, claiming the meat distributor houses its pigs in unethical farm conditions.

A 2010 undercover investigation by the animal rights group shows pigs crammed into gestation crates covered in blood and baby pigs being tossed into carts like rag dolls (WARNING: the video contains some pretty graphic content).

phattymatty

i want to see that video.

and 500 calories isn't all that bad. i have a buddy at work who is one of these mcrib fanboys. had one last year with him and it wasn't terrible. didn't taste like much though. mostly just bbq sauce with texture.

ice grillin you

exactly......the meat has zero taste....its just like eating one big blob of bbq sauce btwn two pieces of awful bread....granted i despise any bbq sauce but i refuse to believe that anyone truly loves a mcrib even if you like the bbq sauce....its all about being a part of something each time the sandwich is released

Tomahawk

Part of what? Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying, it's just people are so farging stupid

ice grillin you

part of the mcrib cult....like matty said fanboys

people wanna be able to post on facebook and email everyone and scream about how the mcrib is the greatest thing ever made and its BACK!!

Diomedes

McDonald's is not a restaurant.  It is a cheap joint.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quotebut it's a professor from the University of Nebraska named Richard Mandigo who developed the "restructured meat product" that the McRib is actually made of.

I have a few friends who get all giddy when the McRib comes back out. I'm going to tell them that they're putting Mandingo in their mouf from now on. 

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.