Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

my cable has been out for like a month and i never bothered to call them, just figured it would come back at one point. anyway, dude came and fixed it this morning and apparently i had my xbox plugged into the non-hdmi ports this whole time. holy shtein what a huge difference.

Zanshin

Yeah, but was the guy really tall? That makes a huge difference rght there.

Zanshin

I made a parabolic antenna that helped with the original router, and I was able to get the other router going by fiddling with a number of settings. I was still going LAN to LAN with the routers, but I disabled the DHCP on the second router, which did the trick. Still thinking about picking up a wireless extender to stick with one network SSID. There's one on sale at DailySteals for $35 that's pretty well reviewed, in case anyone is interested.

phattymatty

any of you nerds know a good program to convert .avi or .mpeg files (or any video files) into mp4s so i can put it on my iphone?

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Susquehanna Birder

Itunes is pretty picky (and lousy) with some conversions.

Check the Videora product at http://www.redkawa.com/

Zanshin

phattymatty

thank you sirs.

yeah i've tried to do it straight through itunes in the past, but it never turns out right. and also takes forever.

phattymatty

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on June 08, 2012, 07:07:06 AM
Itunes is pretty picky (and lousy) with some conversions.

Check the Videora product at http://www.redkawa.com/

tried this one out first and it works perfectly, took less than 20 min. to convert a 2 hour movie. looks crystal clear on my phone too. thanks.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteContent encoding error

the page you are trying to view can not be shown because it uses a compression format invalid or unsupported

I am trying to help a friend figure out why her computer will not access any sites when using Chrome, Firefox or IE. Each time they try to pull up a site she gets this message.

I had her clear the cache and cookie and also did all the disk cleanups and defragments etc...

It is still doing it.

Any ideas?

Rome

Whatever security program(s) firewall(s) she has is/are blocking access to the internet.  Have her either shut them off entirely or uninstall them.

PhillyPhreak54

Ok thanks man.

Any reason why it would be perfectly ok prior to today and then just start doing it? No alterations were made to the system firewall or antivirus.

Rome

She probably had an automatic update on one of them.  Never allow them on anything.  If you need an update on a program just check for them periodically.  Auto updates are the devil.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

I have 90 or so gigs of music files grouped in hundreds of folders (by band/artist).  I'm trying to back it all up from the exernal HD on which I keep it to a wirefless backup drive we bought.

In order to do this I have the external drive plugged by cable into the wireless drive.  I access everything through the wifi.  Open up the external drive through the wirefless drive.  Open the folder in the wirefless drive.  Select a range of folders, drag and drop.  The process has been excruciatingly slow, but it's working.

I'm having a few issues though...how can I be sure every file has transfered?  If my laptop downstairs is closed, the process is killed, and I have no indication of what was or was not copied.  If a file name is too long, the same thing.

So in short..once I've moved the bulk of the files, how can I be sure that I have completely backed up?  Is there a "copy only non-duplicates" command that I can run on the whole 90 gigs at once without it taking a month to finish?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger