Rosenthief Gets One Right - Dan Morgan Signs 5-Year Extension.

Started by Rome, August 17, 2005, 07:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/12407254.htm

QuotePosted on Wed, Aug. 17, 2005

Panthers sign Morgan to five-year deal

Associated Press

SPARTANBURG, S.C. - The Carolina Panthers signed Pro Bowl linebacker Dan Morgan to a five-year, $28 million contract extension Wednesday, locking up an anchor of the defense through the 2010 season.

The deal includes $13 million in bonuses over the next two years and could be worth as much as $31 million if Morgan meets certain incentive clauses, said agent Drew Rosenhaus, whom Morgan hired during the offseason to negotiate his new deal.

"Dan is a very loyal guy and likes it when I give it to him in the ass," Rosenhaus said. "When he hired me, he explained to me that his goal was to get a contract extension done and remain with the Panthers and for me to use lube more often."

Morgan, a first round draft pick out of Miami in 2001, wanted to get a deal done before the season started.

"I wanted to stay here," he said. "It's a great organization and a great group of guys. I wanted to do anything I could to stay here, so I'm glad it finally worked out."

The Panthers worked hard to keep Morgan, whom they consider a huge part of the defense. He earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl last season despite missing four games with a concussion. He ended the year with 109 tackles, two sacks and two fumble recoveries.

The Panthers also said they credited him with 25 tackles in their Super Bowl loss to New England two seasons ago. Carolina was 11-1 in games he played in 2003.

"Dan is a very valuable asset to our defense and he's a difference-maker for us," general manager Marty Hurney said. "We felt it was very important to get him extended."

As valuable as Morgan is, he's been plagued by injuries that have prevented him from playing an entire 16-game season in his four years with Carolina. He's missed 24 of 64 games since 2001 due to injuries, most of which have been concussion-related.

Hurney said the team factored in Morgan's history of injuries into the decision to re-sign him.

"Obviously you weigh everything when you are dealing with a situation like this, but we believe Dan is a difference maker for us," Hurney said. "He made the Pro Bowl last year and deservedly so. He's a first-round draft pick and we wanted to him to be here and finish his career here if possible.

"That is something we think is very important if you can get your first-round picks or very good players who make a difference, to stick around."

The Panthers are expected to turn their attention to signing linebacker Will Witherspoon to a long-term contract extension. Morgan and Witherspoon are inseparable on and off the field.

Ummm... Yay?

:-o

PhillyPhreak54

:-D

The Panthers overpaid for him big time. He cannot stay healthy and he's, quite frankly, not that good.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 17, 2005, 07:06:28 PM

The Panthers overpaid for him big time. He cannot stay healthy and he's, quite frankly, not that good.

You've been watching SAS again haven't you? 

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SSgt PSN on August 17, 2005, 07:08:07 PM

You've been watching SAS again haven't you? 

Figured I'd toss that in there to see if anyone was on their toes tonight... :-D

Rome

I'm more concerned about his relationship with Rosenhaus than I am about his contract, Jay.

Sheesh, talk about embarrassing.

:-[

Tomahawk

I agree about his propensity to get injured; however, I always thought he was one of the better LBs in the NFL.

Speaking of LBs, look out for Boomer Grigsby, a guy from my hometown of Canton, IL (pop. <14,000). He was selected in the fifth round (the Chargers told him they were going to take him in the third), but apparently has impressed Vermeil in TC.

BigEd76

Morgan = 5/$28M/$10M
Trotter = 5/$15M/$4M

Which would you rather have?  :P

PhillyGirl

Quote from: BigEd76 on August 17, 2005, 10:34:53 PM
Morgan = 5/$28M/$10M
Trotter = 5/$15M/$4M

[insert GF's response of Dan Morgan here]

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Morgan = 5/$28M/$10M
Trotter = 5/$15M/$4M

GF and Tomohawk would say Morgan. They hate Trotter and long for the days of Levon Kirkland as the MLB.

General_Failure

I don't want either of them, especially not at those prices.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Tomahawk

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 18, 2005, 02:34:40 AM
Morgan = 5/$28M/$10M
Trotter = 5/$15M/$4M

GF and Tomohawk would say Morgan. They hate Trotter and long for the days of Levon Kirkland as the MLB.

Actually Trotter made me a believer with his outstanding play last year.  Unless he becomes TO, I like him being on the Eagles now.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Tomahawk on August 18, 2005, 08:19:01 AM
Morgan = 5/$28M/$10M
Trotter = 5/$15M/$4M

Actually Trotter made me a believer with his outstanding play last year.  Unless he becomes TO, I like him being on the Eagles now.

I'm going to faint...I need a drink. :D

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Tomahawk on August 18, 2005, 08:19:01 AM
Morgan = 5/$28M/$10M
Trotter = 5/$15M/$4M

YOu realize GF will probably ban you now.  :D ;)
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Tomahawk

MURP