2020/2021 Covid Games

Started by Rome, July 23, 2021, 07:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

I love curling too.

But I haven't watched one second of these games. And I am usually IN on winter olympics.

ice grillin you

Quote from: phattymatty on February 04, 2022, 11:47:36 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on February 04, 2022, 08:42:02 AM
all the things mentioned matter but number one no buzz factor is because its on the other side of the world and nothing good is live in primetime...this is nothing new but every time it happens i have zero interest...id be down for a bunch of it if i could sit down and watch live events in the evening

I'm the exact opposite, one of my favorite things about the olympics is that you can find some fun shtein to watch at 4 in the morning or weird times when there is usually nothing going on. 

also with Beijing they're exactly 12 hours ahead, maybe 13 currently, so there will be a lot of good stuff happening prime time EST.  they do a lot of snow stuff early in the day so the snow doesn't get all farged up / melt throughout the day.

i dont like the olympics enough to do that...i get it tho cause i love doing that for the Australian open

unless my math is off isnt 8-11 pm there 7-10 am here?...and for the big daylight events its going to be our 1-5am our time...right?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 04, 2022, 01:14:57 PM
I love curling too.

this is the curling watching process

1. flippin thru channels
2. oh shtein curling!...dope
3. 90 seconds pass
4. why am i watching curling?
5. flippin thru channels

in this way its kind of like water polo of the winter games

it seems like it should be good but its excruciatingly boring...its like sitting at a bar with that hand shuffleboard game but watching two other doods you dont know play

MDS

curling is everyones go-to pretend to like sport during the winter olympics...you see a few funny clips on twitter and are like wow curling is cool, the swedish team has a few moderately hot women.

but then you watch it and yes its monstrously boring

certain events they can get in the 10pm or 11pm hour live. thats not exactly the sweet spot for the east coast
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

I'm just here to see some 70lb women and 120lb guys do some sick spins on ice skates.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 04, 2022, 01:33:43 PM
i dont like the olympics enough to do that...i get it tho cause i love doing that for the Australian open

unless my math is off isnt 8-11 pm there 7-10 am here?...and for the big daylight events its going to be our 1-5am our time...right?

that's right but they don't really put all the fun winter events primetime local time.  first off there's no fans to have to worry about crowds or scheduling for fan attendance.  secondly they do a majority of the snow events in the morning so shtein is still fluffy and not icy.  last night all the major team ice skating events were live at like 8-11 PM EST, so they were morning there.

MDS

i was curious how they were going to do figure skating since its the only real draw sport for the games...seems like most things EXCEPT womens are going to be live in that 8-11pm spot

womens of course is really the only thing anyone cares about, and thats hitting asian primetime at 4/5am
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

Very weird how much Jurassic park branding in all these Olympics promos. Like what in the world does a dinosaur movie coming out in June have to do with the Winter Olympics

General_Failure

It might be the only non-superhero movie coming out this year.

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Quote from: phattymatty on February 04, 2022, 11:05:11 PM
Very weird how much Jurassic park branding in all these Olympics promos. Like what in the world does a dinosaur movie coming out in June have to do with the Winter Olympics

Winter Olympics seems like a more natural tie-in with Jackass.

Or maybe the link is that the Olympics are a 20th century dinosaur running on fumes in the 21st century, kinda like the related concepts of the United Nations and network TV.

ice grillin you

Dinosaurs are super heroes at least ones who can fly

phattymatty

I have zero recollection of the last winter games being in Pyeongchang.  Like every mention of the Olympics back to the late 80s rings a bell for me, but they keep mentioning Pyeongchang and nothing.

MDS

opening ceremonies
1996 - 40 mil
2012 - 41
2021 - 17
2022 - 14

even at their peak they did nfl playoff game numbers...now its nfl thursday night football numbers

phattymatty

I thought that would be higher with tens of millions of trumpers watching to somehow spite Joe Biden. doesn't make sense but since he said he's not going figured that would be their train of thought.

phattymatty

That amazing 15 year old Russian figure skater tested positive for PEDs lol.