The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbionic

Quote from: GeneralZOD on March 14, 2013, 04:03:17 PM
Guess that's a no, then....

T.I shouldn't be a rapper? GTFOH with that stupid shtein....

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but T.I. is not rap.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

GeneralZOD

Mannnn, you can't hurt my feelings, and yes TI is rap music.... He may not be the kind of rap we like or grew up with or how we here at CF associate what and who "real" rappers are, but he is one of the living embodiments of what the genre has transformed into today, like it or not. 
CF Record Holder - Oldest User With Least Amount of Posts

General_Failure

That's a pretty terrible genre, then.

The man. The myth. The legend.

hbionic

ZOD, you know you're defending T.I. right?

By the way, not the 'whole' genre has become that which you state. Mos Def is still alive. I think the whole thing goes to hell when he goes.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

GeneralZOD

LOL yep... In skillz Mos Def, Talib Kweli, etc got almost everybody in the game beat; however that's not what rap is nowadays; it's popularity.  You want that skillz in rap defining stuff better invent a time machine back to 1988 and take me with you.  It's 2013 and I get much much more requests for TI songs that Mos Def and I dj at 6 places per month up and down the east coast from PA to FL.  In 30 years of doing this shtein I got Mos Def requests twice - once for "Oh No" and "Ms Fat Booty".  I get crazy shoutouts for TI every freakin week... As for TI's fight song, that ahem "video game beat" is what these lyricists want to square off to in their rap battles now -

Granted I'm not the biggest TI fan, but 20 million fans must see something in the dude and who am I to say otherwise - besides  "Bring Em Out" sets shtein off on the floor.... I can play nothing but TI, Rick Ross & (MMG), Lil Wayne & (CMYM), Future, and 2 Chainz shtein for the next three months and I will rock any club.  It sux, but that's the way it is....

Sgt PSN

TI has a decent club jam or 2 but never liked any of his other stuff that I've ever heard.  Isn't he the dumb ass that got arrested the same day he got out of prison? 

ice grillin you

Quote from: GeneralZOD on March 14, 2013, 07:16:13 PM
LOL yep... In skillz Mos Def, Talib Kweli, etc got almost everybody in the game beat; however that's not what rap is nowadays; it's popularity.  You want that skillz in rap defining stuff better invent a time machine back to 1988 and take me with you.  It's 2013 and I get much much more requests for TI songs that Mos Def and I dj at 6 places per month up and down the east coast from PA to FL.  In 30 years of doing this shtein I got Mos Def requests twice - once for "Oh No" and "Ms Fat Booty".  I get crazy shoutouts for TI every freakin week... As for TI's fight song, that ahem "video game beat" is what these lyricists want to square off to in their rap battles now -

Granted I'm not the biggest TI fan, but 20 million fans must see something in the dude and who am I to say otherwise - besides  "Bring Em Out" sets shtein off on the floor.... I can play nothing but TI, Rick Ross & (MMG), Lil Wayne & (CMYM), Future, and 2 Chainz shtein for the next three months and I will rock any club.  It sux, but that's the way it is....

no one is saying you shouldnt play what your audience wants to hear....but that doesnt change the fact that TI and in particular that beat is straight ass

vanilla ice also went platinum

Sgt PSN

Usually the jams requested most often in the club are the worst examples of hip hop.  It's also the closest suburban white kids ever get to listening to real hip hop. 

GeneralZOD

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 14, 2013, 07:26:02 PM

no one is saying you shouldnt play what your audience wants to hear....but that doesnt change the fact that TI and in particular that beat is straight ass

vanilla ice also went platinum

That particular beat is not all that - but these headz want it - and I can't find it anywhere - and I play for street-style in clubs with hundreds of black people attending

As for TI being straight ass and on a Vanilla Ice level u need to get off dat monkey homie bc u just got nominated for hater of the year

ice grillin you

never said he was on that level....i was saying just because you sell a lot doesnt mean you are any good....never underestimate the awful taste of the american consumer

Quote from: GeneralZOD on March 14, 2013, 05:28:22 PM
20 million fans must see something in the dude

hbionic

ZOD, at least you haven't forgot the past, which is cool. If I get that time machine, I'll make sure to reserve a seat for you. By the way, you a D.J.?

Ok, you talking about rocking the club. Most club goers are just that, club goers. No one is going to shake their ass to Masta Ace at the club. That's where bieber, timberlake, T.I, lil John fill that niche...but those aren't real hip hop heads, those are club goers. There's a reason Tone Loc survives.

Anyways, man, just saying that just because its requested by the masses, doesn't mean it's dope. It can be, but I just don't find any substance in this new era if hip hop. I'm hoping for a revolution. But, I know that is highly unlikely.

Regardless, keep the crowds happy, play what they want, and every now and then, try to throw in a classic. Only that way can the people know the truth.

GeneralZOD

Funny that u say that bc I pray for that revolution too (just a couple cats that will bring rap back will do) but rap just keeps going downhill.  In 10-15 years this shtein that we poppin right now will be looked at as dat-fire-back-in-the-day stuff.  Give me Rap 88-92 and I'm straight, but yall correct - the club is a whole different story... Tell u how bad shtein has gotten - last saturday at a club in Melbourne, FL end of night (5 min left) I played a Biggy medley out of respect for his anniversary of his death and heads started going for the door....I switched it up and then hit up one last Future song and people started coming back in....  Me and my security was like damn...

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 14, 2013, 08:03:20 PM
never said he was on that level....i was saying just because you sell a lot doesnt mean you are any good....never underestimate the awful taste of the american consumer

Quote from: GeneralZOD on March 14, 2013, 05:28:22 PM
20 million fans must see something in the dude

good point.

hbionic

I can't already pictured heads saying, "What the farg is he playing?"

Sgt PSN

Quote from: GeneralZOD on March 15, 2013, 03:07:44 AM
In 10-15 years this shtein that we poppin right now will be looked at as dat-fire-back-in-the-day stuff. 

LOL.  Thought that just popped in my head is 10 years from now when my daughter will probably refer to Pitbull as "old school."  Makes me feel icky.