Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Quote from: Hurts_Defense_Superbowl on May 14, 2023, 08:32:37 PM
Quote from: Rome on May 14, 2023, 07:52:00 PMI wish I didn't know what a complete piece of shtein jackass Chris Pratt is because I really liked GOTG 3.

The soundtrack was top 5 ever too. 

B+

Why is Pratt a piece of shtein jackass?

Typical right wing Christian goes to a right wing church that hates the gays. Also, his stupid face.

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

He already cleared the anti LBGTQ stuff up...he doesn't attend that church. He made some god comments at an mtv awards show and a bunch of butthurt people ran with it.

Quote"Religion has been oppressive as f*ck for a long time," Pratt tells Men's Health. "I didn't know that I would kind of become the face of religion when really I'm not a religious person. I think there's a distinction between being religious — adhering to the customs created by man, oftentimes appropriating the awe reserved for who I believe is a very real God — and using it to control people, to take money from people, to abuse children, to steal land, to justify hatred. Whatever it is. The evil that's in the heart of every single man has glommed onto the back of religion and come along for the ride."

He donated to the Obama campaign a decade ago but doesn't affiliate with the left or right.

ice grillin you

if you are neutral on the current state of the right then you are part of the problem and probably an anti-democracy fascist
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 16, 2023, 11:14:26 AMif you are neutral on the current state of the right then you are part of the problem and probably an anti-democracy fascist

Ok Stalin

General_Failure

There's probably some good people in the party that staged a coup, change the rules when they can't win an election as it currently is, want to kill the gays, and tell their backers to commit acts of violence against those who oppose them.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

Blackberry - didnt really know much about blackberrys back story so this was very educational as well entertaining and holy shtein glen howerton is throwing 110 mph for nine innings...just an unreal performance

7/10

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Eagerly awaiting Oppenheimer to come out.

We will be out of town for the first weekend but want to catch it in imax the following weekend.

ice grillin you

im seeing a barbie/oppenheimer double dip opening day

Past Lives - saw this last night and it was as close to a perfect movie as you can get.

9/10

Rome

My girls wanted to see the final Indy Jones, so we went this afternoon.  It was actually pretty good. 

Phoebe Waller-Bridge was excellent. 

It ran a little long and it was a bit maudlin, especially at the end, but it was still worth seeing.

I'll give it a B. 

Zanshin

I'd give it a B+. It was everything that Crystal Skulls should have been. They played it completely straight, were true to the character and the vibe of the series, didn't wink at the audience every two minutes and generally tried to tell a cohesive story. That's probably the best you could ask for trying to bring that vibe into modern times. Anyone that hated it would have hated Raiders. It was true to itself.

Rome

It wasn't bad by any means.  I just thought there was too much filler.   Too many chases and shtein blowing up everywhere. 

It's an action movie.  I get it.  But a few less explosions and maybe some more Marion/Indy interaction would have been better.

They should have stopped after The Last Crusade anyway.  Pretty much the perfect action movie. 

Zanshin

The grade was on a curve, based on the last debacle. Agree about Last Crusade; but I'm not sure that additional interactions by a cranky octogenarian couple would have been a big help.

Rome

Saw Asteroid City today.  Ooohhh boy. One of the most impressive casts I've ever seen.  Interesting premise and, of course, the writing was insanely good, but actual "play within a play" thing was distracting. 

Wes Anderson gets a lot of latitude to stretch the boundaries of what's possible in movie making, but this was just a jumbled self-indulgent mess. 

Sounds silly but the different filming techniques were a terrible distraction. And his use of muted flickering lighting in the colored scenes was just annoying to the point where I just closed my eyes and listened to the dialogue (again, it was fantastic and actually very funny as you'd expect). 

I loved the performances, though.  Very strange experience.

I'll give it a B+ because the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

phattymatty

Got dragged to Tori Amos last night.  Thought I'd be bored but pretty kickass show. Never would have guessed I knew that many songs of hers.  Was haunted by the memories of several psycho college girlfriends but fun times.