Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Same old Madden for the most part.  Some increased features in the franchise mode.  I wasn't really paying attention when I simmed the preseason, and the CPU cut some of our early draft picks from last year like Jarrett.

The servers on Xbox suck.  They sell millions of Madden games, but can't support more than 60,000 people??? Kind of a joke.

Our linebackers and safeties are atrocious.  I've stuck Page in the starting lineup when I play online so people can't exploit throws over the middle.

Patterson is benched because of his AVM stuff, but I refuse to play with Trevor Laws.

SunMo

you can change the depth chart and put those guys in

for franchise mode i signed 3 offensive lineman, lofa at mlb, and a safety i think.

online is really slow and clunky.  it's hard for me to throw down the field.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

mussa

A big part of franchise that I loved in the from last generation (best madden ever) was when you could set up different players in different formations. Like you could put a DE at DT in nickel or throwing formations, or sub in a faster LB to cover pass. Can you do this now or is it all on the fly when your trying to pick plays? Such a great aspect of franchise mode that they completely dumped for no logical reason...

Otherwise I am hearing great things about this version, just not really buying into it yet. I think I might rent it and try it out. I don't really even play video games that much anymore if you can believe that. Not sure if its really worth it to just sit and collect dust.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

General_Failure

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been pretty fun. I like stealth games, but I suck at them, so I wind up shooting everyone anyway, but having the option is always appreciated.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Hawk

Anyone want to some Madden on Xbox Live this weekend??

Munson

Trying to decide between buying Madden or Dead Island.....then I keep telling myself neither because once Gears 3 comes out that's all I'm going to play for a solid 8-10 months
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Zanshin

Quote from: Hawk on September 03, 2011, 05:55:00 PM
Anyone want to some Madden on Xbox Live this weekend??

I might be around tomorrow.  I'm zanshin825 on xbl if you want to friend me.

SD

Quote from: Munson on September 03, 2011, 08:20:19 PM
Trying to decide between buying Madden or Dead Island.....then I keep telling myself neither because once Gears 3 comes out that's all I'm going to play for a solid 8-10 months

I'm getting Dead Island this week.

Hawk

Me too. Shall we go Zombie hunting together?

Munson

Dead Island is pretty good. Think of a 50/50 mixture of Left 4 Dead and Grand Theft Auto.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: Munson on September 07, 2011, 12:25:43 AM
Dead Island is pretty good. Think of a 50/50 mixture of Left 4 Dead and Grand Theft Auto.

I heard it's a 30 hour game with vast open worlds...only problem is you're doing the same meaningless tasks over and over again and it does nothing to advance the story. So basically it's a 7 hour game that repeats itself 3 or 4 times.

charlie

I am playing madden for the first time since like 2001 or 2002.. and i have to say i haven't been more bored with a video game so quickly. It's slow, its clunky, and there's way too much down time.

Online play is ok, no real connection issues... just icehole players.

Munson

Quote from: SD on September 07, 2011, 04:40:36 AM
Quote from: Munson on September 07, 2011, 12:25:43 AM

I heard it's a 30 hour game with vast open worlds...only problem is you're doing the same meaningless tasks over and over again and it does nothing to advance the story. So basically it's a 7 hour game that repeats itself 3 or 4 times.

Yeah there's a lot of little random tasks that you do, and it seems to do very little to advance the story. For example, in the first Act, you get people to a safe place, and then the next couple hours or so, your main mission is actually called "Kill Time". As in, ask the other survivors around you if they need help. Which they all do, and they ask you to go out and do random shtein (find my husband, get some gas for a fire to burn bodies, etc). And when you're out and about, you run into other random survivors that offer you shtein to help them out too.

I find it enjoyable simply because i like killing zombies and they let you build some cool weapons. But it did take forever to finally get to Act II.

mussa

Well I broke down and got madden 12 randomly one day. Its decent, not anything great. The players feel so fast and out of control. I have whiffed numerous times on defense, I don't know if its the new camera angle or what but I got a guy in my sights and poof right past him. That is pretty annoying. The player speed issue is a big letdown, it just doesn't seem realistic, player movements in general. I still don't get how the last version on PS2 felt so realistic and all versions on the 2nd gen game systems just are crap. I don't get why they couldn't mimic an engine on a lesser gaming machine.

Running is way too easy.

Vick should rarely get caught by a dlineman or linebacker when scrambling out of the pocket. Terrible. Thats just laziness on EA, ignoring something as simple as that.

They made a big stink about new tackling animations, group tackling. If you run into a situation like that your guy just bounces off and falls to the ground. FAIL

I don't get scouting. Another big emphasis on awesome scouting options in franchise. From what I can tell you pick 15 players in the beginning of the season and then that's it. Nothing...I don't see anything progressing. FAIL

Player roles. Worthless. I don't see what the point of this is either. FAIL

All in all I would say its probably the best version of the 2nd generation systems, which in theory it should be. But its far from anything special. I'm so pissed Madden has the exclusive deal. 2Ksports made the best NBA/sports game ever last year w/ 2K11. They could do some amazing things w the NFL.

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

They have done great things with the NFL.

NFL2k5 was the best football game ever made.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger