Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

I've played it, and it's fun, it doesn't quite compare to Mass Effect 2 or Jade Empire. I've reinstalled Dragon Age to try out the expansion, but there are parts of it that just annoy the hell out of me.

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

Which is it closer to? I read the character development is good. Is it worth 30 bones?

General_Failure

It's certainly closer to Jade Empire than Mass Effect, but the closest comparison is probably Baldur's Gate. If you're going for the 360 version, I'd say rent it to see if you like it.

phattymatty

so i tried playing MW2 online with a friends last night.  holy shtein is that hard.  it takes me like 20 shots to nail someone whereas i get smoked with a knife every 20 seconds.

Seabiscuit36

Do Team Deathmatch hardcore matty.  Its one shot one kill, you can just use a scar and spray and play.  Once you get your shot, you can do other guns, but its a better style, i cant stand regular core and having to shoot a guy 15 times to kill him
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

mussa

Maybe you guys need to use Stopping Power Perk. Most guns need it. Phatty its not a game your going to be instantly good at if you've never played an online shooter then you gotta get up to speed. It takes time. Believe it or not there is some strategy. I find "camping" is the best option instead of running around blindly in MW2. COD4 was more run and gun styled than MW2. The other thing is as you play you get upgrades for the guns and new guns, so you might not like what you have when you start out. I think the biggest thing is learning the maps. Once you know your surroundings, then you can use the map and try and predict where the enemy is at or moving. Once you know every corner and the spots people tend to go then you can relax a bit and try to use the environment to your advantage. ha, im so lame
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SD

Quote from: General_Failure on April 04, 2010, 09:24:37 PM
It's certainly closer to Jade Empire than Mass Effect, but the closest comparison is probably Baldur's Gate. If you're going for the 360 version, I'd say rent it to see if you like it.

I only used this quote so you'd know I was addressing you: how do you do a download for extra content? The price says zero and it gives me the download option, I click download and it looks like it starts then says it's pending.

General_Failure

I have no idea how you legally obtain DLC for any of Bioware's games right now. The download server for that might have been screwy today, since something new was supposed to be added for ME2 today.

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SD

Quote from: General_Failure on April 06, 2010, 08:30:24 PM
I have no idea how you legally obtain DLC for any of Bioware's games right now. The download server for that might have been screwy today, since something new was supposed to be added for ME2 today.

Any other recommendations on games? I just started playing games again, Bioshock 2 and ME 2 were the first 2 games I've played in about a year and a half. Doesn't matter the type, good is good and I'm not picky.

General_Failure

Torchlight was surprisingly fun. Diablo style, but with cartoonier characters. Cheap, too.

Fallout 3 was fun, but the load times eventually got the better of me.

Munson

Pretty much what Mussa said. MW2 is not a run and gun, you definitely need to be a bit more tactical in your movements.

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on April 06, 2010, 10:48:02 AM
Do Team Deathmatch hardcore matty.  Its one shot one kill, you can just use a scar and spray and play.  Once you get your shot, you can do other guns, but its a better style, i cant stand regular core and having to shoot a guy 15 times to kill him

As someone who sticks to sniping, I can't stand people that spray and pray. Doesn't seem to take any skill to me.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

mpmcgraw

Run and gun was what made COD4 arguably the best first person shooter ever.  It takes skill to be able to rack up the kills without dying.

In COD5 most people still play run and gun because it is the most fun and it is shows some sportsmanship.  I can't stand it when you get a team of campers sniping which happens way too much and is really the biggest flaw of the game and moreso the maps.  I usually destroy them as far as the actual match is concerned, but my kill death takes a beating.  

Munson

Running around and shooting your clips off at ridiculous rates hoping you hit someone enough to kill them takes skill. But putting one or two kill shots into a guy doesn't, because you are smart enough to do it from a distance.

Got it.

Run and gun was fun for GoldenEye, but this isn't 1995 anymore. Any game that tries to make you play smarter and be a little bit more tactical and use cover and etc is FTW.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

mpmcgraw

how exactly is it playing smart?  you are just camping thats not smart, its amazingly homosexual.  anyone can farging hide and snipe and its not tactical at all.  "ha ha!  I have found a bush!  I can now hide behind it and use this rifle with this zoom apparatus and shoot anyone who crosses this road!  I must be genius mah ha ha!"

Its not pray and spray.  Turning a corner and having a guy on the other side of the alley in a quick draw situation is what makes COD great.  You can't spray your way out of that.