Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

I have the same problem with defenders in all football games.  I think it happens because I suck and don't work hard to get better, which is apparently what you have to do if you want to play well.

I finally got a PS3 and HDTV.

Picked up Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and GTA IV.

Played the latter a few minutes and will def. return to it in force some day, but got myself wrapped up in Oblivion, so that's got me for a while.  Haven't even loaded Fallout to see if it's any good.  I did love the shtein out of Fallout 2 on PC so many years ago...
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Fallout 3 is essentially Oblivion with guns, so you'll probably like it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

yeah, I just realized that of the three games I first bought, two of them are Bethesda, oh well.  I will probably like them both.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MURP

i cant really get in to those games, but one thing is for sure if you are into it: you get your money worth

Diomedes

ya, they take forever.  I've just restarted Oblivion because the first character I made wasn't working out..I needed to figure out how the game works and what I can get away with.  Suffice it to say, a stealthy mystic doesn't fare too well.

mussa

I liked Fallout 3. Actually isn't very long of a game, the main quest, that is. I beat it awhile back but there are still side missions and actually new missions you can buy. Overall I did enjoy Fallout, but if your a player with little patience for details and traveling from place to place, then not sure if you would enjoy it. I liked Fable 2 better than Fallout 3. Fable 2 is Xbox exclusive though...
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

General_Failure

If you're going to start up a bunch of characters, you'll wear out on Oblivion pretty quick. The sewer tutorial gets old pretty fast.

If you're bored, you may enjoy the short-lived blog Living in Oblivion. I believe the guy did a similar deal for Fallout 3, but I can't seem to find that one at the moment.

The man. The myth. The legend.

mussa

About to pop in Operation Flashpoint. Blockbuster has a new rental policy. Has to be back on day 5, no later than 12 or you'll be charged a $1 everyday late. So instead of 14 days, its down to 5, and they didn't drop the price. Still $8.99 a rental. Blockbuster continues to charge for less of a service. Its why I canceled the mail movie rentals, they took away benefits without adjusting the price. Nice business model Blockbuster, keep it going.  :boo
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

mussa

Flashpoint is well, very confusing. Campaign mode is really tough. Seems like your running for long distances and then you have no real idea if you should open fire on enemies or just stay covered and try to get to the next checkpoint. Command menu is annoying, you go into it, while your getting fired on and can't move. Quit after dying on the 2nd level twice with no real idea how to find cover and defend. Tried multiplayer and there is nobody playing. Got into one game an actually killed 16 and died 1 time. The AI multiplayer guys just seem to lay down or stay still with no cover and you can just nail them. Aiming is tough, but realistic. Just seems like you can stay put and keep firing at guys, with nothing else really going on. Not real sure about this game...

Diomedes

Quote from: General_Failure on October 09, 2009, 11:19:53 AM
If you're going to start up a bunch of characters, you'll wear out on Oblivion pretty quick. The sewer tutorial gets old pretty fast.

If you're bored, you may enjoy the short-lived blog Living in Oblivion. I believe the guy did a similar deal for Fallout 3, but I can't seem to find that one at the moment.

First thing I did was leave a save file at the final gate out of the sewer, where you have a final chance to change race, birth sign, etc.  Now when I want to try a different character, I just load that and skip the tutorial altogether.

I'm already not very happy with the PS3/Oblivion performance:  firstly, the system is not able to keep up with the animation of all the landscape.  I see lots of trees and shtein popping into view way too late.  It is incredible to me that they release a game that relies so heavily on the atmospherics, in which those details are lacking.  Unlike the PC version, you cannot change the settings either, so I don't have the option to drop the grass animations out, which I'm sure would really improve performance.  secondly, the sound cuts in and out intermittently.  Feels like the same deal:  the system just can't keep up with the game.  These problems may force me to stop playing before I otherwise would have.

Seabiscuit36

so i'm trying to do a softmod to my wii, i thought i bricked the farger this morning but its back up working now.  Scared the shtein outta me.  http://www.howtomodyourwii.com/

I'm at the point where we never play the wii, and if i can get a bunch of games for free, that might be more incentive to play it. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

mussa

thats weird about your oblivion experience dio. i think it might have t do with it being one of the first games released for ps3 and at that point, game developers had little knowledge on the ps3. game developers right now are starting to create games that can truly take advantage of its processor. i don't think it couldn't handle it, i just think there were lots of unknowns at that point for ps3 game developers. just my opinion though...Uncharted 2 is supposed to be amazing for PS3 and will give MW2 a run for its money for game of the year.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/74?ep=74

mussa

so there is a big stink going around on the interwebz about the 1st level of Modern Warfare 2. Someone posted a horrible video of the first level, in which you play a CIA operative, who is either undercover or has joined forces with terrorist group. basically the stink is you enter an airport and open fire on innocent civilians. mowing them down as they try to run crawl away. its pretty brutal. then it looks like a police/swat force tries to stop you. anyway people are really upset about it, saying they won't buy the game now, its inappropriate, it will make kids want to try it etc..(when the game in rated M for mature, yet kids still play the game online, which ultimately points out the real problem of its the parents not the damn video games).

Anyhow I don't have a problem with it. In fact I think its awesome and adds a real sense of realism to todays "modern warfare". Here is the video:

http://www.liveleak.com/item?a=view&token=364_1256689255

Going to pre-order it tonight

Seabiscuit36

who cares, farg those losers.  You're kids shouldnt be allowed on there anyway, too many Timmay's online. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

phillymic2000

Quote from: mussa on October 28, 2009, 12:38:29 PM
so there is a big stink going around on the interwebz about the 1st level of Modern Warfare 2. Someone posted a horrible video of the first level, in which you play a CIA operative, who is either undercover or has joined forces with terrorist group. basically the stink is you enter an airport and open fire on innocent civilians. mowing them down as they try to run crawl away. its pretty brutal. then it looks like a police/swat force tries to stop you. anyway people are really upset about it, saying they won't buy the game now, its inappropriate, it will make kids want to try it etc..(when the game in rated M for mature, yet kids still play the game online, which ultimately points out the real problem of its the parents not the damn video games).

Anyhow I don't have a problem with it. In fact I think its awesome and adds a real sense of realism to todays "modern warfare". Here is the video:

http://www.liveleak.com/item?a=view&token=364_1256689255

Going to pre-order it tonight

Come on, this is not realistic "modern warfare", Everyone knows that the TSA agents would kick the shtein out of any kind of terrorist activity.