Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

REAMDE by Neal Stephenson. I really enjoyed this, but it took me forever to read. I think at the end there's about a dozen main characters running around, and he's shifting perspectives every page or two.

It hits all the usual Stephenson points. Hackers, outlaws, religious fanatics, guns, and taking the story to Asia for the hell of it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

Read The Green Mile series by King and enjoyed it but didn't totally love it. One of the very few instances where the movie was more satisfying than the book.

Also re: this...
Quote from: rjs246 on April 23, 2010, 09:29:35 AM
Quote from: rjs246 on April 22, 2010, 04:16:02 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on March 02, 2010, 09:22:13 PM
blah blah blah

So I immediately went out and bought Contagious, by Scott Sigler. It's about alien invasion, so, yeah. It blends science and science fiction in an intelligent and totally entertaining way (so far) and is providing exactly what I needed.

This book was farging awesome. I mean, it's ridiculous but it's all army explosion tough guy beating alien mauling mind control nuclear holocaust amazingness. Well written, completely enjoyable and the first book I've read in forever (maybe since World War Z) that got me all fired up to smash some imaginary bad guys.

I should note that this book is a sequel to a Sigler book entitled Infected. I didn't read the first one because I didn't know that it existed, but it didn't take away from the reading experience of Contagious.

I finally read Infected and it was also good, though the sequel (Contagious), which didn't have to spend as much time introducing characters and setting up back-story was even faster-paced and kicked some more ass.

Next up, I have The Orchard Keeper by McCarthy and a graphic novel called Daytripper.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

rjs246

Quote from: General_Failure on November 11, 2011, 01:04:47 PM
REAMDE by Neal Stephenson. I really enjoyed this, but it took me forever to read. I think at the end there's about a dozen main characters running around, and he's shifting perspectives every page or two.

It hits all the usual Stephenson points. Hackers, outlaws, religious fanatics, guns, and taking the story to Asia for the hell of it.

I farging loved Cryptonomicon but can't decide whether I would commit to any of his other novels. I like the sense of humor in his writing but he's time-consuming as shtein to read because he has so many characters, so many plot lines and his stories are so long.

Let them eat bootstraps.

rjs246

Oh yeah, I also finished Outer Dark by McCarthy a while back. To overly simplify the book I would call it a toned-down version of Blood Meridien. In fact, I am curious about which of those two books was written first (yes, I could just look it up, shut up) as Outer Dark seems like a bit of a character-experimentation warm-up for Blood Meridien.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: rjs246 on December 29, 2011, 10:59:21 AM
Oh yeah, I also finished Outer Dark by McCarthy a while back. To overly simplify the book I would call it a toned-down version of Blood Meridien. In fact, I am curious about which of those two books was written first (yes, I could just look it up, shut up) as Outer Dark seems like a bit of a character-experimentation warm-up for Blood Meridien.

From Wikipedia:
Outer Dark - 1968
Blood Meridien - 1985

General_Failure

Quote from: rjs246 on December 29, 2011, 10:42:22 AM

I farging loved Cryptonomicon but can't decide whether I would commit to any of his other novels. I like the sense of humor in his writing but he's time-consuming as shtein to read because he has so many characters, so many plot lines and his stories are so long.

You might want to try Zodiac. 320 pages, almost normal sized for a novel, and deals mostly with Boston harbor in the late 80s. No shifting perspectives, just the first person perspective with one guy.

PhillyPhreak54

Any of you geniuses read the newest King book 11/23/63 yet?

Geowhizzer

Right now I'm reading 46 Pages, a blend of a Thomas Paine biography and historical background of his pamphlet Common Sense.  Interesting, but the author at times comes across as more of a Thomas Paine fanboi than legitimate historian.

rjs246

Quote from: Geowhizzer on December 29, 2011, 12:00:54 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on December 29, 2011, 10:59:21 AM

From Wikipedia:
Outer Dark - 1968
Blood Meridien - 1985

Yeah, I looked it up too. Thanks for the effort. I enjoy having my theories validated.

Quote from: General_Failure on December 29, 2011, 12:31:07 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on December 29, 2011, 10:42:22 AM

You might want to try Zodiac. 320 pages, almost normal sized for a novel, and deals mostly with Boston harbor in the late 80s. No shifting perspectives, just the first person perspective with one guy.

Added to my goodreads queue.

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

FTW by Cory Doctorow. I haven't been able to find anything new that's been enjoyable to read, and this wasn't it either, but at least it didn't cost me anything. This was an economics lecture wrapped up in a heavy handed story about the zesty working conditions in Asia.

Geowhizzer

Just finished 46 Pages, a book about Thomas Paine's writing of Common Sense.  Read it as part of our Teaching American History grant.

Interesting read, but sometimes the author (Scott Leill, a member of the Thomas Paine National Historical Association) comes across as more of a fanboy than as a real scholar.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds