Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Why would we read it when there's a Will Smith movie for it?!?

Magical_Retard

just finished the kite runner.

amazing book. one of the best ive ever read.

want to watch the movie now but i heard bad things about it.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

Phanatic

Anyone have a good source for audio books? I spend 2 hours a day in the car going back and forth and I want something a little heavier sometimes for the ride. Just need a way to get the stuff into my non ipod mp3 player.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Diomedes

1. go to library
2. borrow books on cd
3. rip to pc
4. copy to mp3 player

5. profit
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

I think I am going to buy Jeff Pearlman's book about the Cowboys; Boys Will Be Boys.

Sounds interesting.

Rome

I just finished Joe Queenan's "True Believers".  Great stuff especially about Eagles fans.  We're a sick, desperate group, all of us.

NGM

An anthology of the "best" zombie short stories over the past 30 years.  Haven't read yet but I'm going to pick it up soon.  Thought other zombie fans might be interested too. 

Edited by John Joseph Adams. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Diomedes on September 13, 2008, 06:04:02 PM
1. go to library
2. borrow books on cd
3. rip to pc
4. copy to mp3 player

5. profit

Dio,

I finished David Simon's Homicide the other week. It was very good. Basically just a blow by blow of his year spent working with the homicide department. I'd recommend you picking it up.

Diomedes

I did so last week.  I'm 200 pages in already, and liking it a lot.

I finished Tree of Smoke, by Denis Johnson.  A spook novel set in Vietnam.  I can't say much good about the book because I didn't really like it.  Nor did I dislike it either though.  The guy can write some fantastic sentences and paragraphs.  But his characters didn't get me and the plot was either too obscure for my philistine sensibilities, or non existant.  Of all the characters only one made any sense to me or made me care what happens to him, and I spent a lot of time not really understanding what was going on.  Maybe it's just too literary and I need to read it again.  I do have one friend who read it and I'll be seeing him this weekend.  I hope to see what he has to say and maybe get my mind around it a little better.  Lots of critics loved it, and there's no question the guy is massively talented.  But that doesn't mean I enjoyed reading it.

here is the NYT review of it
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/books/review/Lewis3-t.html
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Today I picked up 'Weird Pennsylvania' written by Matt Lake. Perfect book to read on the can.

MadMarchHare

We've got Weird Illinois at home.  Lots of good day trips in there.
Anyone but Reid.

PhillyPhreak54

So I bought "Boys Will Be Boys" by Jeff Pearlman. After waiting about two weeks for it to come in because of it being back-ordered, I am about 140pgs deep.

Some highlights so far:

* Charles Haley was/is batshtein crazy. Not only did he run around naked and half jerking himself off all the time, the end game for him in SF was because he went and took a shtein, came back to a meeting room and threw zesty TP at his position coach. He bullied everyone and the only people who could control him were Ronnie Lott and Roger Craig. He called Jerry Jones "Massa Jerry" to his face and every QB was a "Hoyda flag ass motherfarger"

* Michael Irvin was almost traded to the Raiders. He only wasn't because the Raiders did not offer enough. The book didn't say the offer, but even Jimmy Johnson questioned if he could make it in the league because he did not have top end speed.

* Jimmy Johnson was a Steve Walsh guy through and through. He wanted Walsh to win the job in a bad way.

* Johnson and Jones' relationship soured pretty early on. Johnson was sick of Jones bringing celebrities in to the locker room and on the sidelines and they fought over who really built the teams.

* Andre Waters quote to Emmitt Smith "I'm going to break your motherfarging leg, Hoyda".

*GCobb is quoted a few times in the book, one of them talked about how much of a whiner Dan Marino was after he took a big hit. Said he cried all the time whereas Aikman took his beatings like a man.

* Johnson HATED playing the Eagles.

* Johnson did not want to draft Emmitt Smith. It took RBs coach Joe Brodsky literally standing on top of the draft room table screaming for them to take him.

So basically Johnson, despite being the master motivator and great at drafting the lower tier guys and picking up role players, did not want Aikman or Smith and thought hard about trading Irvin. He also traded two picks for one of his U boys, Alonzo Highsmith and started him over Moose.

This book is a great read so far and I highly recommend it.

SD_Eagle5

Had an hour to kill between class so I bought Barack Obama: Audacity of Hope. What a breath of fresh air. The more I read the more I can't wait for him to become President.

General_Failure

Read Nation by Terry Pratchett last week. First non-Discworld book I've read by him in a while, and thanks to his Alzheimers will probably be the last. Very good book though.

The man. The myth. The legend.

mussa

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 04, 2008, 12:47:02 AM
So I bought "Boys Will Be Boys" by Jeff Pearlman. After waiting about two weeks for it to come in because of it being back-ordered, I am about 140pgs deep.

Some highlights so far:

* Charles Haley was/is batshtein crazy. Not only did he run around naked and half jerking himself off all the time, the end game for him in SF was because he went and took a shtein, came back to a meeting room and threw zesty TP at his position coach. He bullied everyone and the only people who could control him were Ronnie Lott and Roger Craig. He called Jerry Jones "Massa Jerry" to his face and every QB was a "Hoyda flag ass motherfarger"

* Michael Irvin was almost traded to the Raiders. He only wasn't because the Raiders did not offer enough. The book didn't say the offer, but even Jimmy Johnson questioned if he could make it in the league because he did not have top end speed.

* Jimmy Johnson was a Steve Walsh guy through and through. He wanted Walsh to win the job in a bad way.

* Johnson and Jones' relationship soured pretty early on. Johnson was sick of Jones bringing celebrities in to the locker room and on the sidelines and they fought over who really built the teams.

* Andre Waters quote to Emmitt Smith "I'm going to break your motherfarging leg, Hoyda".

*GCobb is quoted a few times in the book, one of them talked about how much of a whiner Dan Marino was after he took a big hit. Said he cried all the time whereas Aikman took his beatings like a man.

* Johnson HATED playing the Eagles.

* Johnson did not want to draft Emmitt Smith. It took RBs coach Joe Brodsky literally standing on top of the draft room table screaming for them to take him.

So basically Johnson, despite being the master motivator and great at drafting the lower tier guys and picking up role players, did not want Aikman or Smith and thought hard about trading Irvin. He also traded two picks for one of his U boys, Alonzo Highsmith and started him over Moose.

This book is a great read so far and I highly recommend it.

put any running back behind that o-line. hall of fame
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"