Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 01, 2007, 01:51:45 PM
I'm finally reading "Life of Pi".  Martel's an excellent storyteller and has caught me off guard a few times already.
IMDB.com says the movie's coming out in 2009, for those who don't read.

yeah it really is a good book.  one of my favorite fictions of the last two years or so.

MURP

read "Thats not in my American History Book" -  some good info on history that is taught in school that is total BS.  also some other good stuff like how Abe Lincolns wife was totally insane and would beat him up.

Also read "Unsolved Mysteries of History"-  kind of a book version of the discovery channel. 

About to finish up Sidney Lumet's  Making Movies.   great book.

next up-  Quicken 2007 the official guide...  burn!

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: MURP on February 01, 2007, 11:40:12 PM
next up-  Quicken 2007 the official guide...  burn!

You don't need a guide for Quicken.  Confusion is fun.

Cerevant

I luv me some Chuck: Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Lullabye

Another Pratchett Discworld: Going Postal

Keep up to date on what I should know about my kid: The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the Toddler Years

Don't start a new home renovation without reading: Make it Right.  This guy is a badass contractor who goes around and bails out people from bad renos by cheap/lazy/incompetent contractors, and has a show on HGTV Canada (he's on Discovery Home in the US).  This book describes how to assess the current condition of your home, how to find a good contractor, what a good contract looks like, and important details and techniques for Basement, Bathroom and Kitchen renos.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

General_Failure

Books I read while in the New Zealand airport:

Anansi Boys - Sequel to American Gods, but on the light side. Good book, easy reading.

The Toyminator - Sequel to The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse. Toy bear and his teenage boy companion drink beer and solve crimes. This time they head to 1950s Hollywood and spoof a bunch of action movies. Extra cheese. Another good book.

Catch 22 - This is one of those books I put off reading because everyone always says it's a classic, but they never tell you how farging awesome it is. Easily the greatest story I've ever read. I can see how it got some bad reviews early on, but I loved it. I think this book was written just for the people here. Yes you. Go get it and read it. Now. Again if you have to. Do it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Quote from: General_Failure on February 11, 2007, 09:20:25 AM...one of those books I put off reading because everyone always says it's a classic
Jesus, man.  Pick up some classics.  They're called that for a reason.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Yeah, like I'm going to try to read David Copperfield a second time.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Fair enough.  But don't let that stop you from reading George Eliot or Graham Greene or Jack London or any of the other greats.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

NGM

Speaking of classics I just finished "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen for my Brit Lit class.  I have to say it wasn't all that bad, but the only way I could ever get trhough a book like that is because I was forced to by a college class.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Diomedes

I love Austen.  Not a manly author to love, but farg it.  She's a master.

What did you find difficult about the book? 

BlueHeart

Quote from: MURP on February 01, 2007, 11:40:12 PM
read "Thats not in my American History Book" -  some good info on history that is taught in school that is total BS.

"Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James Loewen is another good one.
Maybe the voices aren't real, but, they've got some pretty good ideas...

NGM

Quote from: Diomedes on February 11, 2007, 10:36:05 AM
I love Austen.  Not a manly author to love, but farg it.  She's a master.

What did you find difficult about the book? 

Basically it was syntax intially, but once I got over that it was extremely romantic indulgence of the characters (which I know was the point).  It was enough to gag me.  I did really enjoy her satire and extremely dry wit though.  And ultimately I did enjoy the book. 

rjs246

Quote from: rjs246 on January 18, 2007, 09:03:04 AM
I just ordered this, The Best Book Concept Ever .

Finished World War Z a few days after I bought it. Written by Max Brooks, who is Mel Brooks' son. Amazing. A really excellent 'thought exercise' story. Completely entertaining. Loved it.

Plus its about farging zombies. Buy it. Now.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

NGM

Is the book supposed to be "dark humor?"  I cannot tell from the description of the book whether or not the tone is serious in it's satire or funny. 

rjs246

It's written in a very serious manner, but there are bits that are funny. It was actually a very well thought out story with remarkably few plot holes considering it's a novel about the human's war with zombies.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.