Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

I finished the DaVinci Code a couple of weeks ago and just started reading The Republic from Plato.  I had to read the first couple of pages a few times just to get in the right frame of mind to read it.  Same thing if I ever read anything by Shakespeare or something similar.  Gotta read the first few pages a couple of times so that I'm able to decifer the funny language it's written in.  :paranoid

Don Ho

John Grisham's "Bleachers".   Very fast reading, good airplane book.  I really enjoyed it.

Currently reading "The Caroliona Way" by Dean Smith.  Not bad.  Smith relates his dealings with UNC basketball to the real and business world.  I usually can't stand those books where ex-jocks try to use the old sports cliches and incorporate them into today's business enviornment.  "Do it for the team' football teaches you teamwork, blah, blah, blah.  This book isn't as bad.  If you're involved in coaching at any level you will enjoy this book.  Smith really had a grasp on things.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

SD_Eagle5

EDIT: Whoa was I farged up lastnight  :-D

Diomedes

Quote from: SSgt PSN on April 28, 2005, 10:17:41 PM
I ... just started reading The Republic from Plato. I had to read the first couple of pages a few times just to get in the right frame of mind to read it. Same thing if I ever read anything by Shakespeare or something similar. Gotta read the first few pages a couple of times so that I'm able to decifer the funny language it's written in. :paranoid.

You read Ancient Greek?!?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Quote from: SD_Eagle on May 01, 2005, 05:50:54 AM
EDIT: Whoa was I farged up lastnight :-D

You do know you can delete your own posts, right?  You don't have to edit them out.  I was pretty farged up last night, too.  I don't remember making a post at 1 a.m. , but I made one.  When I saw it, I realized why I woke up on the couch in the computer room instead of my bed.  I had been drunken posting, got tired, and hit the closest pillow.  LOL
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on May 01, 2005, 02:45:38 PM
You read Ancient Greek?!?

Only when it's translated into English. 

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on May 01, 2005, 02:49:17 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on May 01, 2005, 05:50:54 AM
EDIT: Whoa was I farged up lastnight :-D

You do know you can delete your own posts, right?  You don't have to edit them out.  I was pretty farged up last night, too.  I don't remember making a post at 1 a.m. , but I made one.  When I saw it, I realized why I woke up on the couch in the computer room instead of my bed.  I had been drunken posting, got tired, and hit the closest pillow.  LOL

Nah, didn't know that. If I did I would have saved myself a lot of humilation  :-D Oh well, thanks for the heads up.

General_Failure

I picked up For Us, The Living by Robert Heinelin last Saturday. Finished it Wednesday. I wasn't prepared for an economics lecture when I started reading it, but I figured if I could read Rand I could handle this. I can't really comment on the whole economics side of it, I suck at what the kids call "the math."

The story was alright to a point, but it really felt like it was only there to string along the lectures. My guess is it feels that way because that's exactly how it is. I thought the ending was a little rushed, too. When I read a story with the word wench in it I expect to read about those thingies that push a woman's jugs up to her neck instead togas and free-hanging hooters. I didn't mind the whole "everybody likes to be bare-assed" gimmick, but it really doesn't go with wench.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Fan_Since_64

A good friend recently lent me Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (the "rogue economist") and Stephen J. Dubner. Very readable, very interesting, and covering everything from how sumo wrestlers cheat to why the crime rate dropped in the 1990s. Levitt comes to some very fascinating conclusions that occasionally challenge the orthodoxies of both liberals and conservatives utilizing nothing more than statistical analysis. Can't say that I buy every word of it, but if you don't mind having your beliefs challenged by some very unconventional wisdom, it's well worth reading.

Philly_Crew

Read Atlas Shrugged - Definately good but I still disagree with her on a few points.

Read Of Paradise and Power - America and Europe in the New World Order by Robert Kagan.  Good book on differences between American and European foreign policy and why it will probably not be congruent again.

PhillyGirl

Not sure who here is a Dean Koontz fan for fiction, but I'm reading "Velocity" right now and its fantastic so far.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

rjs246

I'm reading Poker Face by Katy Lederer (Howard Lederer and Annie Duke's little sister). It's a whiny memoir about her siblings being more successful than her and how her family put a priority on games rather than, ah I don't know. She's a whiner. Wah wah wah.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on September 08, 2005, 03:33:02 PM
I'm reading Poker Face by Katy Lederer (Howard Lederer and Annie Duke's little sister). It's a whiny memoir about her siblings being more successful than her and how her family put a priority on games rather than, ah I don't know. She's a whiner. Wah wah wah.

lmfao...why are you reading it then?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

rjs246

I stopped with about 40 pages left. I couldn't take it any more. I did the same thing with two different Nick Hornby novels (How to be Good and Speaking With the Angel). If you ever want to read a very talented author who has a nack for making you HATE HATE HATE his characters, pick up a Hornby novel. If you're like me and you can't finish a book when you want to stab all of the characters, don't bother.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on September 08, 2005, 03:39:00 PM
I stopped with about 40 pages left. I couldn't take it any more. I did the same thing with two different Nick Hornby novels (How to be Good and Speaking With the Angel). If you ever want to read a very talented author who has a nack for making you HATE HATE HATE his characters, pick up a Hornby novel. If you're like me and you can't finish a book when you want to stab all of the characters, don't bother.

Thanks. I've wanted to do that before. Some of the fluff books I read (chick lit) on occasion have chicks so farging dumb in them, I want to stab em. But since they are so stupid, its humorous, and therefore I continue to read them.