Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

Other books i've randomly read in the past 6-7 months

Phantom Prey - meh...not very good Sanford book (part of the Davenport series).
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon/Stephen King - Better than I thought it would be.
Prey/Michael Crichton - Good, but it's basically Jurassic Park on a nano scale
The Mistress of the Art of Death/Ariana Franklin - Pretty grisly historical fiction about murdered kids in the 1100's...pretty solid read.
The Husband/Dean Koontz - sucked, koontz hould stick to horror, and leave the chase/suspense to other people.
The Taking/dean koontz - pretty good survival horror type book. ending a bit weak, but still solid.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Diomedes

Quote from: Wingspan on November 11, 2008, 12:10:20 PMAll the pretty horses sucked though. Seriously...who cares about two teenagers riding through the desert doing nothing? It was like an unfunny western seinfeld episode.

It's a gorgeous book.  If you hadn't followed this criticism up by posting a reading list comprised of nothing but books they sell in the grocery store, I'd try to talk to you about it.    But you did so now I understand what kind of reader you are.  There's nothing wrong with going for the easy-to-read page turners; it's better than not reading at all.  But all the same, maybe you should stick to Stephen King and Tom Clancy.

I just picked up Anna Karenina.  I liked War and Peace a dozen years ago, so I'm betting this will be good.  A friend told me it's got the best opening sentence of any novel he's ever read, and that as the pages pile up you return to it as an idea throughout the novel.  We'll see.  It's not the most stunning sentence I've ever read:

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Oh and yeah, I know I'm an elitist prick.  It pleases me to belittle people who don't read, or who don't read anything significant.  It's the small pleasures in life you gotta relish.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

I'm reading All the King's Men right now and holy shtein is it good. Like knock your socks off blow a load in your pants wonder why you never read it before good.

Oh, and I read Watchmen a last month. That shtein was dope too. Surprisingly adult and it really made me hope (and doubt) that the movie can match up.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

shorebird

All the King's Men is one of the best books ever published. It has stood and will continue to stand the test of time. It's one story that will never grow old. 

Diomedes

whoa, nelly

It's one of the best modern American books...and that's quite an honor.  But let's not get carried away. 

shorebird

Modern? It was published in the 40's.

Diomedes

that's pretty modern.  plenty of books have been loved for 70 years and forgotten after 100.

There are hundreds and hundreds of books in line as "one of the best books ever published" before a 20th century american novel about southern politics.

shorebird

1947 to be exact. That might not be considered 'Modern', when it comes to literature in the grand scheme of books, but it's old as dirt too me.

shorebird

Quote from: Diomedes on January 02, 2009, 11:25:42 PM
that's pretty modern.  plenty of books have been loved for 70 years and forgotten after 100.

There are hundreds and hundreds of books in line as "one of the best books ever published" before a 20th century american novel about southern politics.

Well then, it will have to go down in history as one of the best books I've ever read.  ;)

hbionic

I've got to give props to those on here who read on a regular basis. I wish I was that disciplined...

Thanks for giving me a pseudo list of books to read.

Back to your bickering.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MadMarchHare

Quote from: rjs246 on January 02, 2009, 10:43:32 PM
I'm reading All the King's Men right now and holy shtein is it good. Like knock your socks off blow a load in your pants wonder why you never read it before good.

Oh, and I read Watchmen a last month. That shtein was dope too. Surprisingly adult and it really made me hope (and doubt) that the movie can match up.

You might not have to worry about it.  Fox won a lawsuit with Warner and the producer, and has filed an injunction to prevent it's March release.  This has the potential to get real ugly if the two corps. can't sit down and work out revenue sharing agreement.  One blog site I read predicted at least a delay to 2011.
Anyone but Reid.

rjs246

Quote from: hbionic on January 03, 2009, 12:00:32 AM
I've got to give props to those on here who read on a regular basis. I wish I was that disciplined...

Reading is relaxing for me. I wish I could do more of it. I don't really understand the idea of reading being a chore or something that requires discipline.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

All reading should require, for people that don't like to read, is a quiet bathroom and some Mexican food earlier in the day.

The man. The myth. The legend.