Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

The Bible was the greatest story ever told about good and evil until George Lucas gave us Star Wars. 

General_Failure

Finished reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K Dick. I've tried sitting down to watch Blade Runner any number of times, since it seemed to be a regular thing that popped up on the Sci-Fi channel, but I could never finish it. The book was a lot easier to follow, and pretty enjoyable.

The man. The myth. The legend.

General_Failure

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. A man sneaks into a house and kills a family, except for a baby who escapes and winds up at a nearby graveyard. The ghosts and other people of the graveyard decide to raise the baby themselves.

There's something about Gaiman as a person that I don't like, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but his books are always good.

General_Failure

Slaughterhouse Five. It took me a while to get around to this one, but I'm glad I did. Sure as hell wasn't what I was expecting, but it was great to read.

Starship Troopers. Typical preachy Heinlein, but I can see why people shtein all over the movie adaptation. I don't think it would be possible to make a movie true to the book.

SD

Quote from: General_Failure on July 09, 2011, 03:46:37 PM
Slaughterhouse Five. It took me a while to get around to this one, but I'm glad I did. Sure as hell wasn't what I was expecting, but it was great to read.

I'm a big Vonnegut fan. Slaughterhouse Five is one of the top 10 books I've ever read. Cats Cradle and Breakfast of Champions are my two favorite books by Vonnegut.

Rome

All this happened, more or less.

General_Failure

Halfway through Fahrenheit 451, and I'm not sure that I can finish. This is the most depressing book I can remember reading.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Quote from: General_Failure on July 11, 2011, 05:44:11 PM
Halfway through Fahrenheit 451, and I'm not sure that I can finish. This is the most depressing book I can remember reading.

I loved the first half of that book and struggled with the rest but it's worth finishing.

Also I finished Cryptonomicon and farging loved it. Bobby Shaftoe for president.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MMH

Quote from: General_Failure on July 11, 2011, 05:44:11 PM

If you're looking for gouge your eyes out depressing, try Michael Moorcock.

Diomedes

Or, just take seriously any part of what you read at :CF.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

finished the ESPN book a few days ago. almost 800 pages. solid read though not nearly as scandalous as they hyped it up to be. still interesting as a sports fan though.

i've never read any of these nerd trilogy books but i just picked up RR Martin's Game of Thrones...Clash of Kings etc. four pack for summer vacation reading. i'm sure someone here had read them all. any good?

mussa

Im 200 pages into the first book and it's starting to get good. I got the 4 book deal as well. It can be sort of overwhelming at first but eventually you start to memorize characters and how they are all connected in the story.  :yay
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SunMo

I'm half way through Game of Thrones, the show was as faithful to the literature as any adaptation i can remember.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.