Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

I pre-ordered Those Guys Have All the Fun and it just got delivered to my house...haven't been this excited for a book in a really long time, maybe ever.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I ordered it last night. Looking forward to reading it.

Rome

I was in a thrift store yesterday and found what looks like a first edition Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance for two dollars.  It's my kid's 11th birthday today so that was one of her presents this morning.  It might be a little too advanced for her but it's such a great book that she can read it when she's ready.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on June 01, 2011, 01:10:26 PM
I forgot it was my kid's birthday and I'm cheap so I went to a thrift store and bought my kid a book that she will have 0 interest in so I can actually keep it for myself. 

General_Failure

I finished reading Deadline by Mira Grant this week. Second part of a trilogy that started with Feed. The story is still all about zombies and people covering political scandals. I enjoyed it, but a couple of little things that annoyed me carried over from the first book.

I'm currently reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I'm not very far in, but I'm disappointed that it takes itself seriously.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

I'm about 80% of the way through Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson and it is the most enjoyable book I've read in a long time. It's almost 1200 pages long so it takes some time to get through but holy crap is it good. I've found myself laughing several times and the storylines are completely engrossing.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

If you liked that, check out Quicksilver, The Confusion, and System of the World. Avoid Anathem like the plague.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

I tried one of his books once and just couldn't break through ... if I'm not hooked at page 200...I'm not reading the rest.

Unless it's Dickens Proust or Eliot, in which case I know the payoff is coming and I keep on.

Have I mentioned how much I love Middlemarch?  F'n great book.

I'm in the Steig Larsson trilogy right now, about 200 pages into the second book.  Plot pacing and characters are very good.  Actual writing isn't anything special..it gets the job done but this guy was no Chandler, Ambler, or Hammett.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Diomedes on June 21, 2011, 08:21:24 PM
I tried one of his books once and just couldn't break through ... if I'm not hooked at page 200...I'm not reading the rest.

Unless it's Dickens Proust or Eliot, in which case I know the payoff is coming and I keep on.

Have I mentioned how much I love Middlemarch?  F'n great book.

I'm in the Steig Larsson trilogy right now, about 200 pages into the second book.  Plot pacing and characters are very good.  Actual writing isn't anything special..it gets the job done but this guy was no Chandler, Ambler, or Hammett.

Have only read the first of Larsson's which was very entertaining.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MMH

Not very polished as an author.  But he winds a good tale.

Zanshin

I'd read somewhere that his wife did much of the writing.

charlie

He's also dead, so there's that.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through book 2 as well. I like it more than I thought I would.

I know he started to write a 4th, the family said they'll never finish it for him.

Zanshin

Quote from: charlie on June 22, 2011, 10:24:21 AM
He's also dead, so there's that.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through book 2 as well. I like it more than I thought I would.

I know he started to write a 4th, the family said they'll never finish it for him.

Hence the "did'.

lurking wierdo