Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reese125

what-did you think you were buying a book on poker tips? what was written in on the back of the book that possessed you to buy it?

rjs246

It was given to me and I hate not finishing books. Smart guy.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

I've read a lot of terrible books because of that habit. The only thing I can remember not finishing was the Lord of the Rings books. Tom fargin' Bombadil.

The man. The myth. The legend.

rjs246

I have a friend who stopped reading at that point in the books too and hasn't shut up about for the last 10 years. Shut up about it already. Tom Bmbadil is not important. Get past it.

Anyway, I have several books that I've started but not finished (The Man in the High Tower, Cryptonomicon, The Moor's Last Sigh, Fast Food Nation, etc) and I plan on getting to the bottom of all of them goddamnit.

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

I finished Hunger Games today, really great book.  Took me about 3 hours total reading to finish it.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Eagaholic

I'm reading "Learn Just Enough to Get Laid."  It's a well written and thought provoking work by DeAngelo and Emmett.  

I just opened to the chapter on cooking and it has a nice section on how to properly boil water. Pot selection is a key element and I learned to always turn the heat knob to high rather than medium or low. It boils faster and the full rotation creates muscle memory for how to properly arouse a nipple. I'm looking forward to the next section "Eat, Pray, Masturbate; what definitely not to serve (so I'll probably play it safe and stick with the water). OK, back to the stove for some knob practice.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Meld a painstaking historical novel about the failed British Royal Navy Discover Service attempt to find the Northwest Passage by Sir John Franklin in the mid 1800's with, for lack of a better way to say it, a Stephen King horror novel, and you get Terror, by Dan Simmons.

I got lost in this book for a month or so and loved every minute of it.  Serious literature this isn't, though.  The writing does the job but it's nothing special.  Simmons' research into the history of the expedition is however spot on, from what I can tell.  I knew a bit about it already from other reading and since reading this I've looked into it more.  Not a single thing I've looked up was wrong, from Inuit diet to the locations of graves and names of sailors buried in the ice.

I've always like sea novels, and survival stories, and now I'm very much interested in learning about the man who eventually made the first successful passage through the arctic, Roald Amundsen (sp?).

I didn't like the ending as much now as I would have when I was 16, but whatever.  It was a good read. 

Short it ain't, so if you're ADD or stupid, don't even think about it. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

On a lark I picked up Naked Lunch from my bookcase & started reading it again.

Jesus Christ Burroughs was a lunatic.  Great stuff, though.

rjs246

I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon. It's really enjoyable but like 1200 pages long. Bah.

Also, just came across this, which I will definitely be checking out.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

I'm surprised you care enough to even consider looking at that book.  

what I mean is I don't care at all what the "leading" christians, muslims, or hindus have to say, why should I care about what a "leading" atheist has to say

farg them all and their grinding axes

Eagles_Legendz

Read all 4 of the Song of Ice and Fire books in the last month.  Last one was meh but the first three were pretty awesome.  I'm very much looking forward to Game of Thrones now.

rjs246

Quote from: Diomedes on April 11, 2011, 07:52:17 PM
I'm surprised you care enough to even consider looking at that book. 

what I mean is I don't care at all what the "leading" christians, muslims, or hindus have to say, why should I care about what a "leading" atheist has to say

farg them all and their grinding axes

I'm suprised that you wouldn't have any interest, as a parent. I know I'm barking up the wrong tree with you, but religion generally provides positive messages in the way of morality and treating yourself and others well. When you get into the specifics and the zealotry it inspires hatred and a lack of understanding. Seems to me that this Atheist bible could cover the good while filtering out the bad parts of religion.

Anyway, that's just a long way of saying farg You, Dick.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

I'm so awesome that I don't need a god, a holy book, or an atheist manifesto, to raise my son to become a decent man.  Reason, which his parents possess in sufficient supply, can lead the way just fine thanks.

hbionic

Agreed.

Self analysis, and a perspective on life. A connection of the self and the universe is all that is needed. Spirituality doesn't include or exclude deitys or a fantasy land after-life. It becomes what you think it is.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05