Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by Diomedes, April 24, 2020, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Quote from: General_Failure on December 05, 2022, 12:08:38 PM
I don't think there's a QB in the world I'd want to have less than Wentz.

Watson. Watson would be worse.

General_Failure

Fair. The serial rapist would be a worse choice.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

I'd rather line up a skill position player to take snaps in the wild cat.

But in choosing between Baker, Wentz and Watson I'd take Baker.

Rome

Looking back none of us knew how bad of a guy Wentz was.  They knew it well enough in the building and took a shot on Hurts.  It's turned out way better than anyone could have expected but let's not forget the team around him is wayyy better that it would have been with Wentz because of the money not being spent on a franchise QB right now. 

They have a shtein ton of dough to throw around because they're paying Hurts peanuts. 

Maybe that's the way to build winners these days?  Get a guy with decent skills and all-world intangibles on the cheap and make a couple of years worth of runs with the dough you're saving?

Knowing how Howie operates, it's completely within the realm of possibility that he rolled the dice on this. 

General_Failure

It's just as likely that they draft another QB this offseason.

Rome

That's what I'm saying.  They know Hurts is gonna break the bank, so why not just keep doing this over and over?

They seem to have hit the jackpot with this kid, so who knows?

General_Failure

Or the cap keeps increasing at a stupid rate and contracts continue to be worth less than the paper they're written on.

Diomedes

Quote from: Rome on December 05, 2022, 01:15:03 PMso why not just keep doing this over and over?

If a team could keep doing it over and over, they would. 

But it's not possible.

For every Jalen Hurts, you have dozens of inferior players, many of them grossly so.
Putting supply aside, what player-QB or otherwise-wants to play for a team that announces they're unwilling to pay a good QB market value, will instead let him walk so they can fill the role with a cheaper prospect?  Good luck getting free agents, re-signing in-house talent, or for that matter, getting rookie QBs to even play for you?  They might justifiably refuse to report and wait a year for the next draft.  It's terrible business idea.
How does one sell such a plan to the fans, who want icons and wins?

Hitting the jackpot is not good cause to gamble more, it's a signal to cut your bets.  Mailatas and Jalens don't just appear on the regular.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

I don't know that I want to put this much thought into the question I'm about to propose-- but going back to Jaws forward...if you were to start a team now with a former Eagles QB starter in his prime (and Jalen, who knows, Jalen could get somehow better?), how would you rank them and where would Jalen fit in? I can tell you without much thought that I'd already take him ahead of McNabb. He's pretty close to the top of the list already, looking at the combination of physical talents, leadership and decision-making. I'll say, at least, that I'm confident if Jalen was the QB over McNabb, the Eagles beat the Pats in '04.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on December 05, 2022, 01:15:03 PM
That's what I'm saying.  They know Hurts is gonna break the bank, so why not just keep doing this over and over?

you could build a city full of skyscrapers with all the staggeringly ludicrous things you've posted over the years but this might be the GOAT
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I'm not sure what is ludicrous about that statement.  Is it the break the bank part?  Or maybe it's the part where they could possibly use two number 1's in this year's draft as capital to select his replacement rather than giving Hurts a blockbuster deal?

I mean either way forward is logical.  Either sign Hurts to a huge deal if they think he's worth it or select a replacement and ensure a cap-friendly contract for the next several years at the most important position on the team?

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on December 05, 2022, 02:53:35 PM
Quote from: Rome on December 05, 2022, 01:15:03 PMso why not just keep doing this over and over?

If a team could keep doing it over and over, they would. 

But it's not possible.

For every Jalen Hurts, you have dozens of inferior players, many of them grossly so.
Putting supply aside, what player-QB or otherwise-wants to play for a team that announces they're unwilling to pay a good QB market value, will instead let him walk so they can fill the role with a cheaper prospect?  Good luck getting free agents, re-signing in-house talent, or for that matter, getting rookie QBs to even play for you?  They might justifiably refuse to report and wait a year for the next draft.  It's terrible business idea.
How does one sell such a plan to the fans, who want icons and wins?

Hitting the jackpot is not good cause to gamble more, it's a signal to cut your bets.  Mailatas and Jalens don't just appear on the regular.

Players go where the money is.  They don't give two shteins about anything else no matter how many Tik Tok videos they appear in with their buddies.

And the Eagles are on a really unique position right now.  They have plenty of resources to go get a replacement for Hurts at a more reasonable price than what he is going to cost.  That means more money for free agents from teams who spend $50M on relics like Rodgers, Brady, et al.

I'm not saying it's going to happen.  They probably will pay Hurts what the market will bear for him.

But if they're not sold on Hurts, and I'm not sure they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a shocker like that. 

Diomedes

What?!?

Get a replacement?  Why7  How?  You're saying they should/might/could draft someone else to develop so they don't have to pay Hurts?  Keep that extra money for Brit Covey and Nakobe Dean?  And this kind of shocking move wouldn't surprise you?

Dude, you're just typing.  It makes no sense.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

is rome suggesting the eagles should never have a franchise qb and just repeatedly draft them in the 1st or 2nd round, then trade them before its time for payday?

do i see this correctly
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

Are they or are they not a quarterback factory? Answer the question.