The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Only the eastern half of Jacksonville has been told to evacuate so far. The rest of us are just buying gas for generators and getting our Mad Max costumes ready for when we need more.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

So if an area is under mandatory evacuation, but someone disobeys...what happens to them when their house starts to float away with them in it? 

Does the Coast Guard or some other rescue operation have to try to help them, or can we choose to risk no more lives and just leave them to their fate?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

That's the real meaning of a mandatory evacuation. They won't risk anything to respond to your emergency call in that area. If you ignore the evac, they'll recover your corpse after the storm, but you're on your own for a rescue.

SD

Quote from: Rome on October 06, 2016, 05:22:03 PM
My wife did her last treatment this morning.  She is cancer free.  I don't give a flat farg about that house.  I got my girls and we're 150 miles away from danger.   It's all good.

I'd say take them to Disneyworld but they're closing that too

Diomedes

Quote from: QB Eagles on October 06, 2016, 06:07:11 PM
That's the real meaning of a mandatory evacuation. They won't risk anything to respond to your emergency call in that area. If you ignore the evac, they'll recover your corpse after the storm, but you're on your own for a rescue.

Good.   And good riddance to the remainders.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

:-D You got the answer you wanted.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: QB Eagles on October 06, 2016, 03:52:49 PM
It's all just stuff, Rome. You know that as well as anyone with what your family has been through the last year and a half. Hang in there, man. And drink more beers.

Amen.

Well said. Wishing the best for you and your family Romey.

Munson

Somehow didn't realize GF was in Jacksonville. Good luck to you air
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

I haven't seen the forecast lately need a Jim Cantigy update on if GF is in trouble in JAX

ice grillin you

eye staying off land thus far which is saving a lot of areas from a total mess....but certified meterologist romey says it doesnt matter
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

Can't imagine why the guy with something to lose might be pessimistic.

Winds have been kicking up here. No damage, no lost utilities yet. Not even any interruption for the dish yet, but it isn't really hitting here until this afternoon.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

you can see the front here that is going to push the hurricane out to sea...also look at the pacific nw stirring up some shtein

ice grillin you

Quote from: General_Failure on October 07, 2016, 08:25:23 AM
Can't imagine why the guy with something to lose might be pessimistic.

saying it doesnt matter if the eye hits land isnt pessimism its ignorance...forget this hurricane take any hurricane ever and the farther away the eye walls are from people and things the better it is for everyone....he literally said it "doesnt mean shtein" whether or not the storm makes landfall

Rome

Looks like we may have avoided total disaster.  Not clear yet.  I'll let you guys know more when I get news from home. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on October 07, 2016, 08:29:05 AM
Looks like we may have avoided total disaster.  Not clear yet.  I'll let you guys know more when I get news from home. 

storm surge is the only possible disaster here and that most likely will be jacksonville and north into the low country of south cackalacka

the max winds that should be hitting any shore line anywhere alongs mattys path will probably "only" be around 70mph...and those should just be gusts....had this thing hit land there very likely could have been 100+ sustained winds