The Wire

Started by ice grillin you, May 01, 2007, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

def. having more kids asap
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

QuoteAttorney General Eric Holder has something to say to the creators of HBO's Baltimore crime drama "The Wire": Bring it back.

Holder gushed about the show, which went off the air after its fifth season in 2008, as he spoke alongside several of the show's cast members Tuesday at the Justice Department. "Having looked at those clips again, I'm reminded how great that series was," he said. "I want to speak directly to Mr. Burns and Mr. Simon, do another season of 'The Wire.' ... I want another season, or a movie," he implored, hoping his instructions would make their way back to creators Ed Burns and David Simon. "I have a lot of power," he chuckled.

Holder and other government officials are touting the show because of how accurately it depicts the plight of kids who are exposed to the use, manufacture or trafficking of drugs in their homes. Last year, DOJ established an intra-agency task force to help these children, who often become victims of violence.

National Drug Control Policy czar Gil Kerlikowske (after asking the actors to sign his boxed sets of the series, naturally) explained that episodes of the show are used to educate people, including lawmakers, on these sensitive issues.

While actor Jim True-Frost, who played the cop-turned-schoolteacher character Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski, showed some of the relevant clips, including one in which he discovers that one of his student's parents sold the child's clothes for drugs.

"The kid has been taught not to feel. It's not just living in the environment, he can't express or share or trust enough to seek help," True-Frost explained. "It's amazing writing and it's beautifully shot, but as everybody in here knows, it's the real deal."

True-Frost was joined by fellow cast members Wendell Pierce and Sonja Sohn. For Sohn, who now leads a Baltimore-based program for underserved youth called ReWired for Change, the show's themes hit very close to home. Not only is she active in the issue now, she has lived through it. "I was afraid to reach out because I was scared my babies would be taken away from me," she said. "I was a drug-using mother."

is there any show in recorded history that has gotten more and more popular and prevalent after its gone off the air than the wire? the love doesnt stop and its been off the air for 3 years.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

of course there isnt because its the best show ever made

also of course roger ailes or sean hannity would say its more along the lines of twilight and nothing more than a fairytale

btw has a pub ever gave the wire props?....thats not being facetious i just wanna know if its ever happened
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 01, 2011, 01:44:51 AM
btw has a pub ever gave the wire props watched the wire?....thats not being facetious i just wanna know if its ever happened

ice grillin you

Wendell Pierce, Sonja Sohn and Jim True-Frost (aka Bunk, Kima and Prez)  participated in a Justice Department panel Tuesday on drug abuse, families and at-risk children. It is part of an initiative launched by Attorney General Eric Holder and announced Tuesday in the release that follows.

Holder, who identified himself as a big fan of the series, jokingly ordered David Simon and Ed Burns, executive producers of the show, to do another season or at least make a movie, according to Reuters "Front Row Washington" blog.

"Having looked at those clips again, I'm reminded how great that series was. I want to speak directly to Mr. Burns and Mr. Simon, I want another season, or a movie. I have a lot of power...," Holder said, according to the Reuters account.

lurking wierdo

Quote from: MDS on June 01, 2011, 01:35:16 AM
QuoteAttorney General Eric Holder has something to say to the creators of HBO's Baltimore crime drama "The Wire": Bring it back.

Holder gushed about the show, which went off the air after its fifth season in 2008, as he spoke alongside several of the show's cast members Tuesday at the Justice Department. "Having looked at those clips again, I'm reminded how great that series was," he said. "I want to speak directly to Mr. Burns and Mr. Simon, do another season of 'The Wire.' ... I want another season, or a movie," he implored, hoping his instructions would make their way back to creators Ed Burns and David Simon. "I have a lot of power," he chuckled.

Holder and other government officials are touting the show because of how accurately it depicts the plight of kids who are exposed to the use, manufacture or trafficking of drugs in their homes. Last year, DOJ established an intra-agency task force to help these children, who often become victims of violence.

National Drug Control Policy czar Gil Kerlikowske (after asking the actors to sign his boxed sets of the series, naturally) explained that episodes of the show are used to educate people, including lawmakers, on these sensitive issues.

While actor Jim True-Frost, who played the cop-turned-schoolteacher character Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski, showed some of the relevant clips, including one in which he discovers that one of his student's parents sold the child's clothes for drugs.

"The kid has been taught not to feel. It's not just living in the environment, he can't express or share or trust enough to seek help," True-Frost explained. "It's amazing writing and it's beautifully shot, but as everybody in here knows, it's the real deal."

True-Frost was joined by fellow cast members Wendell Pierce and Sonja Sohn. For Sohn, who now leads a Baltimore-based program for underserved youth called ReWired for Change, the show's themes hit very close to home. Not only is she active in the issue now, she has lived through it. "I was afraid to reach out because I was scared my babies would be taken away from me," she said. "I was a drug-using mother."

is there any show in recorded history that has gotten more and more popular and prevalent after its gone off the air than the wire? the love doesnt stop and its been off the air for 3 years.
Yes, Family Guy.

Sgt PSN

Technically, true. Difference is that Family Guy was cancelled because of terrible ratings and didn't develop a strong fan base until CN picked it up and aired reruns on Adult Swim. Next thing you know, DVD sales skyrocket and Fox brings the show back.

The Wire had a devoted fan base from the get go.

MDS

oh my god shut the farg up about family guy. do not ruin this thread with bullshtein unfunny cartoons.

QuoteResponding publicly to Holder's request later in the week, Simon said restarting "The Wire" for a sixth season would come with conditions.

"The Attorney General's kind remarks are noted and appreciated," wrote Simon in an email to The Times of London. "I've spoken to Ed Burns and we are prepared to go to work on season six of 'The Wire' if the Department of Justice is equally ready to reconsider and address its continuing prosecution of our misguided, destructive and dehumanising drug prohibition."

America's War on Drugs, Simon continued, is "nothing more or less than a war on our underclass, succeeding only in transforming our democracy into the jailingest nation on the planet. This is 'The Wire's' argument. So if we are being urged by the nation's leading law enforcement officer to write more of the same, it seems appropriate to make some mention of the fact."

seriously he is just off the charts
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

simon would easily be the best president in the last 50 years were he to run and get elected

ice grillin you

tim colishaw ftw with the clay davis wire reference on around the horn

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: lurking wierdo on June 02, 2011, 01:35:25 PM
Quote from: MDS on June 01, 2011, 01:35:16 AM

Yes, Family Guy.

Arrested Development. 

Obviously not the same category as the wire, but its popularity has skyrocketed since the show was canceled.

Diomedes

way funnier than the Wire
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

General_Failure

More to be found here.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

haha... holy shtein.  now that i would watch.