Political Hippo Circle Jerk - America, farg YEAH!

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, December 11, 2006, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/12/07/four-died-shootout-with-police-after-ups-truck-was-hijacked-could-it-have-been-avoided/

I'm not ready to shtein all over the cops here.  I don't blame family of the victim; they are allowed to grieve however they need and even to blame others without evidence...that's why we don't put them on juries, etc.  Everyone else however needs to check their takes and hold out for actual evidence.

I wish the article made some mention of the fact that we are awash in guns, and only human, which means they're gonna be used, and no matter how much you study and read and train, open warfare in crowded places is inevitable when its easier to get a gun than a job.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

For a speeder, cops are supposed to de-escalate, drop back and let the helicopter follow them until they can safely stop the car. Two guys with a gun and a hostage? Time to go all Mad Max, maybe use some cars as shields while you shoot up the place.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I totally fault the cops on this one.

Even if they're on a dead end street and not in rush hour traffic you don't go popping rounds off.

Diomedes

So you just let active shooters carry on?

I mean...truck is stopped, people everywhere, hostage inside truck...and what do you do?  Back off?  How do you get other motorists to safety or protect them? 

I'm sorry but so far as I can tell, cops are in a lose lose situation when they're facing shooters in public.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

They weren't active shooters at that point though right? Just robbers with a hostage. If the cops lay back and track via air the situation isn't escalated.

Diomedes

As far as I'm concerned, once they start shooting in the jewelry store, they're active shooters.  Do you think because they stopped shooting when they fled the store that their wanted level went down like in GTA?

I don't know what they were at what time.  I've read three news articles from immediately after the event and I've seen some confusing video.  When the facts are known, after lengthy and expensive investigation, we can answer those questions better. 

If the cops lay back and while tracking the UPS driver and/or other bystanders gets murdered, their kin might just as well complain that coward cops wouldn't confront and take out the shooter.

I'm not letting off the point that this is a natural result, a perfectly predictable result, of wide proliferation of extremely deadly weaponry among human beings.    Give lots of people, including cops, guns, and this is what you get.

Tomahawk

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 07, 2019, 12:18:02 PM
all great points hawk

mostly trump is to incompetent to do anything truly hideous

Trump has done plenty of hideous shtein; the point is that doesn't make him unique.

PhillyPhreak54

Rome

Perfect subject to fixate on for a piece of shtein. 

PhillyPhreak54

I guess all those hamberders make him drop 10–15 flushers while he's tweeting and calling into fox and friends

General_Failure

MDS

interesting study about fox news viewing habits

https://morningconsult.com/2019/12/08/fox-news-upper-hand-next-year-the-countrys-eyeballs-down-to-districts/

fox's most watched congressional district among republicans? that would be the old pa-2, which was north philly/montco mainly. 90/10 dem district. so those 10% REALLY like hannity.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on December 09, 2019, 11:55:28 AM
interesting study about fox news viewing habits

https://morningconsult.com/2019/12/08/fox-news-upper-hand-next-year-the-countrys-eyeballs-down-to-districts/

fox's most watched congressional district among republicans? that would be the old pa-2, which was north philly/montco mainly. 90/10 dem district. so those 10% REALLY like hannity.

Mine's in there - FL-25, #8 on Fox's most watched list.  I'm at the far western end of it. 

EDIT:  My district doesn't look overly gerrymandered, but there is about 100 miles of By Cypress National Preserve, Seminole and Miccosukee Reservations, and Everglades between my end and the bulk of the population of the district in Broward County.  Probably doesn't matter, since both ends are solidly Republican.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

I'm tired of these Ivory Tower east coast libruls not embracing clean coal.