Training Camp Report For 08 August

Started by PhillyPhreak54, August 08, 2005, 02:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

An overcast day up in Lehigh that eventually turned into some pretty heavy rain and storms. Practice was cut short by about 30-45 minutes because of the threat of lightning.

- Jamaal Green was limping today and eventually couldn't go. He sprained his foot yesterday and he came out in full pads went through some DE individal drills and then had to sit out.

- Sean Considine did not suit up today (shoulder)

- Sam Rayburn did not suit up today (elbow)

- Bruce Perry did not suit up today (concussion)

- TO did not suit up today (groin) and stayed inside to have treatment

- Josh Parry sprained his knee on a pass

- Trent Cole looked pretty hurt after he tackled Westbrook on one play. I t looked like his shoulder, but I couldn't tell. He was down quite awhile and was then walked off.

- Ryan Moats knocked himself out and had a concussion today. He lowered his head to take on Jeremy Thornburg when coming up the middle and gave himself a concussion. He sat out after that play.

- Justin Jenkins came up short on a pass down the sideline and sat out towards the end of the practice. It looked like either a cramp or a pulled hammy.

1. Ryan Moats had the longest run of the day. He broke off a 50+ yarder and was movin'! He took off around LT and turned upfield and was gone. He eventually was caught when he slowed down to wait for the WR to block downfield. When he was caught from behind - he fumbled. Mike Bartrum recovered, but Moats was not carrying the ball securely enough. He looked more worried about going to the house than if he was being chased and it cost him a fumble.

2. Billy McMullen was very good today. He made a great catch over Sheldon Brown on the left sideline on a crossing pattern. Detmer lead him but Sheldon jumped and got a finger on it, then Brown tried to knock it down but McMullen grabbed it out of the air and took off.

3. McMullen also had several other nice catches where he used his body to shield the defender and make the grab.

4. Reggie Brown also had himself a nice day. He beat Dawkins on a beautiful slant pattern. They were doing 3-on-3 drills and Dawk was up against Brown. Dawk tried to jam him and Reggie shook the jam. He then ran the slant and Dawk tried to undercut him and INT the ball, but Brown kept him off and hauled in the catch. Very nice indeed.

5. Brown also had several nice receptions from McNabb in the full team drills.

6. Greg Lewis was on fire today. He made a leaping grab on a fly pattern over Aric Williams and took it into the endzone. He was also working a lot of the underneath stuff too and only dropped one ball and that was because he was blown up by Corey Peoples.

7. As mentioned above - Corey Peoples absoluetly drilled Lewis and forced him to drop the ball. This is Peoples' second hard hit in two days and he is making some playes out there. He is playing FS because Considine is hurt, but he looks good. He could be a PS candidate depending on how he does on STs in the PS games.

8. L.J. Smith is continuing to have a solid camp after a rough first day. he had one bad drop today on a slant but other than that he was golden. He also hauled in a nice TD pass from McNabb. He ran a corner route and was wide open.

9. Todd Herremans is handling that 1st team LT spot nicely. I watched him on several plays he had two pancakes.

10. Shawn Andrews was his usual self - blowin dudes up. When he gets his hands on guys they can't do anything.

11. Keith Adams was hot & cold. He started off with 2 "sacks" but then he was juked out of his shoes later on by Brian Westbrook and Ryan Moats. After Moats juked him, Adams just took off his helmet and shook his head.

12. The defense looked like they were installing blitz packages today because they were blitzing seemingly on every play. The swarm of white jersey's was awesome to see. They were getting pressure a lot.

13. Dhani Jones...another solid day of playing SLB. He is all over the place. he covers TEs, covers RBs and plays the run nicely.

14. Matt Ware had himself a rough morning. he was beaten a few times in those 3-on-3 drills and once he was whipped badly by Carlos Perez on a skinny post. Ware looked to go for the INT and Perez was behind him , caught it and took off.

15. Mike Labinjo was stuffing the run nicely on the 2nd team defense. He stuck his nose in there a few times and punished some guys. Big Red complimented him after one good play.

16. Mark Marsical was shankariffic. After looking nice last week he shanked too many balls today.

17. Chris Samp, the newest WR (#84 w/o his name on the back, BTW) has a nice set of hands on him. He dropped one ball all day and it was because it was underthrown by McMahon. He made a very nice catch in traffic early on.

18. Adrien Clarke is the 2nd team RG and he had a nice day. Good pass protection and a few nice blocks to spring some runs.

19. Trey Darilek is the 2nd team C...Dominic Furio is 3rd team.

20. Stephen Spach is the #2 TE by the looks of it. He was in with the first team when they went to double-tight sets.

21. Andy Thorn had a few nice grabs in TE vs. LB drills.

22. James Whalen has good hands but had one bad drop on a slant. He is short (6'2) and I still do not like his blocking. I think that is why Spach is running #2 now because he seems to be a better blocker.

23. McNabb was crisp once again. No INT's, nice air under his touch passes especially to Greg Lewis and Smith on their TDs.

24. Detmer was Detmer. A little good and a little bad. He had one ball tipped by David Bergeron and almost INT's by Trent Cole on the tip.

25. Mike McMahon has himself some happy feet. He dances and dances and pulls the ball down too quick, IMO. In one instance he pulled the ball down in a drill where he had no DLs rushing him at all.

26. Andy Hall stunk again today. He throws more dead ducks than any other "pro" QB I've ever seen.

27. Robert Redd struggled a little today. Made some nice grabs but also had a drop or two. He is still fielding PRs and looks secure in doing that.

28. Isaac West had a rough day. He had several drops, but when he does catch it, boy can he fly.

29. Justin Jenkins had a decent day. Before he pulled up lame on that one pass, he was running a little bit with the 1st unit. Him, and McMullen seemed to share that 3rd role while Brown and Lewis were the "starters".

30. Jon Ritchie is looking better and better everytime I see him up there. A few catches today, no limping and a couple of hard blocks.

31. ND Kalu is still coming strong from that RDE spot. I like his corner speed and it looks like he's added an inside move as well. One of my beefs with ND back in 2003 was that he tried to go around the OT too much. But now he'll bait the guy outside and then hit it up inside and get pressure that way too.

32. Mike Patterson's first step in amazing. I know I keep saying this, but he gets off that ball. He got under Andrews' pad level on one play and chased Mahe down from the backside of the play.

33. Darwin Walker is continuing to be solid. I like what I see from him.

As always, feel free to ask questions in case I have forgotten something.

PhillyGirl

Great report Phreak! Thanks!  :yay

I wonder if Parry's knee injury is severe enough that it will give Ritchie more of a chance to shine and get back his spot?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Didn't look too bad..he caught the ball and stepped kinda funny. AR said it was a sprain. Ritchie is winning his job back regardless, IMO.

Also let me add that Westbrook came out to a nice ovation...nothing like TO got, but he was still cheered. A few guys said some smart remarks to him about the money, but it was a nice ovation.

He was juking guys out of their shoes today. He made one run where he started behind Fraley, did his stutter step and was gone up the right sideline in a blink of an eye.

I also saw TO come out of the fieldhouse towards the end of the practice. He was coming out to get water from the cooler by the door and looked to be stretching out. My guess is that he was working on that groin inside with a trainer and then stepped out to get some air and water. He was out watching practice for about 5 minutes from that spot and then went back in.

Eaglez

Whats up bro! Did Westy do anything spectacular today? How did he look after he came back from his extended summer vacation?

Also, I'm assuming that McMullen will be the #4 WR come the start of the season, who do you see at #5?

Was Herremans the one who sealed the corner when Moats made that nice run? Hopefully he learns to secure the ball better.

T_Section224

nice update phreak.

lmao@mcmahon pulling down the ball without any pressure.  that was my one observation of him last week, he was too eager to run it then throw it.
Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

PhillyPhreak54

Sup, man...boy its going to be a mess up there tomorrow. Stinkin like a damn barnyard for sure because of all the rain today.

Westbrook was jukin dudes left and right. Of course he has fresh legs and all, but he was his same old self. Turns on the jets in a second.

#5 is going to be Jenkins most likely with Redd making the PS. Redd has a legit shot but Jenkins has a year on him as far as experience.

I believe the LT who sealed that run for Moats was Strojny.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: T_Section224 on August 08, 2005, 02:31:23 PM
nice update phreak.

lmao@mcmahon pulling down the ball without any pressure.  that was my one observation of him last week, he was too eager to run it then throw it.

:-D I was like 'dude...what are you doing, theres no pass rush at all.' And then one of the coaches (Shurmur or Culley) started hollering at him for it.

I liked Jeff Blake better.

Rome

Eaglez

Did Blake end up in anyone's camp this year?

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

MURP

man, Moats and Perry get concussions already?  argh

thanks for the report phreak.

Eaglez

I more concerned about Moats. But hey, maybe they knocked him around enough so he holds onto the ball next time.

I hate when players fumble the ball after long plays. It usually is because they loose concentration and are thinking too much about other things instead of just worrying about holding onto the ball.

Rome

The shtein that McMahon got away with in Detroit won't fly in Philly.  Either you learn the system and be a productive member of it or you take a hike.  Judging from reports I keep hearing about him, he'll likely be a one and done kinda guy.

BTW: He looks like a metrosexual Nancy-boy with those shaved arms of his, not that there's anything wrong with that.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Cole's injury is an "elbow contusion", FWIW.

Nice report again, Phreak.

MURP

Moats is a fumbler.  It is his weakness.  The Eagles had better get that problem fixed, because he fumbles a lot.