Science 'n Shtein

Started by hbionic, August 23, 2011, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Anyone following this thing about the correlation between lead levels and crime? The gist is that exposure to lead affects development in the parts of the brain that manage impulse control and decision making and that as lead levels have decreased there has been a corresponding drop in crime rates.

This would seem like a perfect example of correlation vs. causation except that 1. Lead exposure directly impacts portions of the brain that are predictive of criminal behavior and 2. the crime drop has happened in both the US and Europe in perfect timing with reductions in lead and the corresponding generations, so cultural/social/legal factors (improving economy, the Freakonomics abortion argument) can't explain it.

Anyway, interesting stuff.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

I am not following this story but I can corroborate it: poor kids in Baltimore eat a lot more lead paint than not poor kids do, and are also a lot more violent.

Proof.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

I was just going to say, there's studies just about inner city Baltimore and the correlation of lead/violence.  When you buy a house in Maryland, there's 20 pages of paperwork tied to lead paint because of all the lawsuits in Baltimore. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

There's a massive judgment against the City for lead paint in public housing that the City has just flat out refused to pay.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Diomedes

He's governor now.  You mean Nerese Campbell.

PhillyPhanInDC

The book The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell (farging great book btw) uses Baltimore and it's syphilis epidemic as a reference throughout.

Baltimore sucks.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on January 28, 2013, 12:20:48 PM
The book The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell (farging great book btw) uses Baltimore and it's syphilis epidemic as a reference throughout.

Baltimore sucks.

I had to read that for a class I had and yes it's very good.

Diomedes

General_Failure

Old news, but still neat.

Scientists breed goats that produce spider silk

QuoteResearchers from the University of Wyoming have developed a way to incorporate spiders' silk-spinning genes into goats, allowing the researchers to harvest the silk protein from the goats' milk for a variety of applications. For instance, due to its strength and elasticity, spider silk fiber could have several medical uses, such as for making artificial ligaments and tendons, for eye sutures, and for jaw repair. The silk could also have applications in bulletproof vests and improved car airbags.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Has anyone been following the pissing contest between a NYT writer who test drove the Tesla Model S & Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla?

Holy shtein.  It's fascinating in a bizarre way.  You have a news organization that routinely bends over backwards for companies just like Tesla being harangued for intentionally trying to create false results to embarrass Tesla.

It's insane.

Here's the latest he said/she said:  http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/that-tesla-data-what-it-says-and-what-it-doesnt/

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hbionic

I was just reading about the Tunguska Event. Coincidence? I think not.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Rome

Seabiscuit36

Apparently one exploded over Cuba as well.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons