Week 3 - Giants: Home Sweet Eli

Started by MDS, September 17, 2017, 11:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

That's my boy - love that dude since LSU

SD

Ra'sul held his own today against Marshall. Darby is going to be relegated to 3rd cb when he comes back.

The futures bright for the cbs

Mills - solid
Douglas - good size and speed
Darby
Jones

Eagles_Legendz

Sgt PSN

Mills is ok. He's just just ridiculous for celebrating incompletions he had nothing to do with.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 24, 2017, 11:25:41 PM
Mills is ok. He's just just ridiculous for celebrating incompletions he had nothing to do with.

Maybe he was just happy for the Eagles.

ODB had to make freak ODB catches to really get going today. Considering that Eli was in a rare dialed-in mode, that's a pretty good accomplishment for the secondary.

Eagaholic

I thought Mills overall played well today. Like QBE said he gave up a coupe of TDs to ODB but most CBs would have done the same. He also gave up a lot of receptions but he was just following Schwartz's game plan to play off and close quickly, which he executed well. I thought was good scheming by Schwartz, keeping everything in front of the secondary. Reminded me of Jim Johnson's bend but don't break and tighten it up in the redzone (though JJ usually bent with the run game more than the pass).

From the early looks, Douglas seems like he could be a player, really like his upside. If Sidney Jones pans out as hoped, the team weakness could become a strength for at least a coupe of years while Jenkins is still in his prime.

For once the football gods made the Eagles beneficiaries of both ref calls and placekicking. Sterling Sheppard gets the most hosed player award.

ice grillin you

easier to see at the stadium (versus tv) especially from our seats which are high in the end zone perfect for seeing entire formations and stuff but mills was on an island pretty much the whole day with odb....no safety over the top no linebacker shaded inside nothing
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

cbs national morning news the show with norah odonnell and charlie rose just had a little segment on elliots kick

ice grillin you

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

At 5:14 p.m., Jake Elliott threw his backpack over his shoulder and got ready to leave the locker room at Lincoln Financial Field.

But he forgot to pack a pair of grey sneakers that were in his stall. So he took his backpack off and stuffed them in there. Then he spotted a towel. Same thing, but that went into a different pocket. He was finally all packed up.

Elliott was wearing an Erin Hills U.S. Open hat and carrying one of those really small Dasani bottles — the ones that tend to empty after four or five sips. He was headed to see his family but wasn't sure where to exit and needed guidance from a member of the media relations staff.

This was Elliott's first time getting dressed after a game in the home locker room at the Linc. Two weeks ago, he was on the Bengals' practice squad. He was renting an apartment in Cincinnati and just had it furnished. But then Caleb Sturgis suffered an injury, and Elliott got the call to join the Eagles.

On Sunday, he was in Philadelphia, and his 61-yard field goal sent the 69,596 fans in attendance into a frenzy as the Eagles beat the Giants, 27-24. Mychal Kendricks and Kamu Grugier-Hill carried Elliott off the field.

"It was awesome," Elliott said afterwards. "I was just kind of running around trying not to get hurt."

The Eagles were far from perfect on Sunday. Late in the fourth quarter, it seemed like they had unnecessarily let the Giants back in the game and failed to bury a team that was in many ways asking to be buried. But Elliott's game-winner puts the Eagles in a good spot in the NFC East heading into next Sunday's matchup with the Los Angeles Chargers.

Elliott's teammates had varying angles and viewpoints when the kick went through. Here's a rundown of what they said afterwards.

Brandon Graham: "My head was down. I was just waiting on people to run out. And if they ran out, we won. If they didn't, dang, we've got to go to overtime. But when I heard people yelling and going crazy, I just started running. I didn't even see him make it [laughs]."

Jaylen Watkins: "The first thing I was worried about was the returner [Odell Beckham Jr.]. I think I saw him in college before jump and catch one. And I saw he was just standing there. I was like, 'OK, at least it's got the distance.' And he wasn't moving right or left, so I'm like, 'Yo, this looks like it's going in.' And of course it goes in. You could tell by his reaction. The closer it got, he was like, 'Oh, shoot.' His demeanor wasn't anything good.

"I have a hamstring injury, but I couldn't help but take off a little bit before I had to catch myself like, 'I'm not 100 percent healthy. I can't do that.' But emotions were wild."

Zach Ertz: "I was in the play. I was on the left wing trying to protect my side. It was an unbelievable kick. We were so focused on Odell being back there pre-snap that we were like, 'We've got to be firm in the pocket. We've got to be firm in our protection. Then we've got to protect and release.' As I see that thing going, I'm like, 'Man, this thing really has a chance.' And it just kept going and going. When they signaled it was good, I was shocked — 61 yards into the wind. When I saw Odell looking up through the upright, that's when I knew it was good. And obviously everyone went crazy. It was an electric feeling, electric atmosphere.That kid's got a leg on him obviously. And we're happy to have him."

Kamu Grugier-Hill: "He hit that a couple times in practice so we have confidence in him for sure. Honestly, from my angle, it looked wide right, so I was like, 'Ahhh!' And then I saw it go through the thing, and I just lost it."

Jalen Mills: "You see him banging long field goals at practice all the time. So for sure, we already knew that he had a strong leg. That's why Coach Doug [Pederson] didn't think twice about putting the field-goal unit out there. So as soon as he kicked it, you saw him get full extension, and he made it."

Beau Allen: "It was a hell of a kick, man. I'm on the field-goal team, and with long kicks like that, you've got to cover because they put a return man back there. You don't want a situation like Alabama-Auburn a couple years ago. So I was sprinting down the field about as hard as I could just eyeing down the returner. All of a sudden, he turns, started walking away. I looked up, saw that it was good and turned around and it was just chaos. Great feeling. It was a hell of a kick by that kid. ... I remember turning around and saw [Jason Kelce] sprinting at me and kind of blacked out after that. That was a grinder, ya know?"

Alshon Jeffery: "When I came to the sideline, I asked our special teams coach if he's ever made a kick that far. He said [Elliott] can make it from 61 yards. He said he's practiced it before, so I'm like, 'Sh-t.' I was just hoping that if he didn't make it, we could take our best chances in overtime."

Malcolm Jenkins: "Hoping that Odell Beckham didn't catch it. That's all I cared about. I was like, 'Man, as long as he doesn't get the ball with our offensive line out there trying to tackle him.' That was probably my biggest concern. And I was obviously very elated that it went through the goalposts."

Brandon Brooks: "Sh-t, I was blocking, man. I was trying to make sure that nobody was able to get their hands [on it], just making sure we held up. And then after that, obviously, a 61-yarder, in the back of your mind, you've got to cover too. Once I realized it had a pretty good shot of going in, I just waited to see what was happening."

Carson Wentz: "I was just praying that it went in. How often do you see a 61-yarder? I think it was the longest in franchise history. Good for him. Hats off to him as a guy who just got here two weeks ago. We're all pretty pumped for the kid."

Chris Maragos: "Dude, how fun was that? I wanted to get back to see if I could get a good angle. And Jake's done such a good job coming here under the circumstances. Obviously you're working with operation time with a snapper and a holder for just a couple weeks here. He has a really strong leg. He's hit some bombs in practice. So we knew he had a really strong leg. The snap was perfect. Donnie [Jones] had a perfect hold. Gave him the comfort to just swing through it. When that kick went through, you're at a loss for words — just with what that meant for our team. I think I was just jumping around, helmet up, just going crazy."

Jason Kelce: "I was behind the ball, right around the 45-yard line on the other side. So I couldn't tell where it was in relation to the field goal. I was like, 'Is that going right? Is it going to be long enough?' And I still didn't know until the official threw his hands up whether it went in or not. Kudos to Elliot. That's tremendous coming in here like that, last-minute situation with Caleb [Sturgis] going down. He's only been here for two weeks now. So that's huge — 61-yarder to win the game. That's fun."

Torrey Smith: "I couldn't believe he could kick the ball that far, so I thought we were going to take a shot at a Hail Mary, but the guy comes out and gets it done. ... I honestly didn't know it was in. I thought it was a yard too short. I'm sitting there looking at the guy. I hear the crowd yelling and waiting for the ref, and I lost my mind. It was crazy."

Nelson Agholor: "I was just watching it. Until you saw the refs put the hands up, that's when I knew. That was a great kick by him, a great play by him."

Rasul Douglas: "Oh my goodness. I was on the sideline. I think everybody was up on their feet just trying to see if he was going to make it or not. When I looked at Odell back there and I saw that he didn't put his hands up like he had a chance to return it, I was like, 'Oh he must have the leg for it.' And it went in, and everyone just went crazy. It was an exciting moment. I'm so happy for him."

Trey Burton: "When he kicked it, I was like, 'This might have a chance.' I was probably at the opposite 35-yard line, kneeling down, just watching it. I was more worried about the guys covering it if it would have went short. But it was a great kick."

Lane Johnson: "When he first kicked it, I knew it was going to come out low, so the big thing was to not let any pressure in. We had a cover call, so as soon as it went in the air, we ran down the field and I thought it was going to go wide right. It curved back in. I heard the crowd's reaction, and the stadium just erupted."

Eli Manning: "I didn't know if he had enough on it to make it there, but obviously he kicked it and had a good kick. Thought maybe [we'd] have a shot with Odell and get the ball in Odell's hands there at the end and maybe he could make something happen for us but obviously [it] didn't go that way."

Odell Beckham Jr.: "It was good. There was no question. He booted it. I was praying it was going to be short. I was reminiscing of other days. It was UAB, kicked a field goal and ran it back 109 [yards]. Had to write 109 miscellaneous yards in the NCAA because it never really happened before. So I was praying that he kicked it short, and I was going to be able to run it back and we were going to have that feeling that they had winning in the last second."

Doug Pederson: "Quite honestly, I had so much confidence standing there. Calmness. I just watched him kick a couple kickoffs extremely deep into the end zone, and it was pretty awesome. Sounded like a cannon off his foot. Great snap, great hold, protection was there. Yeah, awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome."

PhillyPhreak54

lol I hope he says AO1 and praying as much as he can just because it rankles igy so much

hunt

awesome!  the power of prayer prevails! 

awesome!

lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

General_Failure

He better get his ass to faith healing Sproles, then.

The man. The myth. The legend.