The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

yeah yeah yeah, she's awful.  i'm with you.

I'm just saying, the line between people like us and people like her is thinner than you think, and drawn by luck more than most care to admit
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

shorebird

I feel you, sometimes I have to walk away from my daughter to keep from wringing her neck. The one time I lost my cool enough to grab a handful of hair I ended up in court for abuse. But that was a smartmouthed know it all 17 year old. A defenseless little baby is another thing entirely.

That brings up another subject of "what the farg is wrong with this world". Discipline for kids. I know there are kids that get beat, and I'm not talking about a spanking. Some kids get brought up in a war zone. But I'm just talking about discipline. It's been taken entirely out of our school systems. Kids know that they can do or say pretty much anything they want and as long as they are considered a juvenile, theres next to nothing that you can do, and they know it, and they use it. It's like the grandmother in Florida who was locked up for smacking her grandaughter when she used the F-word in front of her. If I talked to my parents the way my daughter does I'd have been picking my teeth up off the ground. So they run wild doing whatever they want, saying whatever they want. Some kids like my boy are smart enough to know they don't know everything and they listen. When they don't listen, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it, and those kids are the ones who learn the hard way.

Kids use the system. They don't want to go to school so they just hook, or they cuss a teacher, start a fight, whatever. The punishment of getting suspended is exactly what they want. They start drinking and smoking at 13, 14, 15 years old and if you find out about it but what do you do? One of my neighbors tried to ground his kid and keep him indoors. The result was the kid kicking doors, grabbing a golf club and knocking out windows, and when the Dad grabbed him and threw him to the ground here comes the cops and social services. Oh no, busting up your house? Don't matter, you can't put hands on your kids. It's abusive. Then they wonder whats the matter with the kid, and put him in counseling while the Dad is up on charges. You get put between a rock and a hard place because you love your kids and don't want to see them throw their lives away at such an early age. You try and talk to them and it goes in one ear and out the other. Diplomacy isn't a option, because they know they can do what they want and farg you. Take away internet access or cell phone? Better be ready for the repercussions.

I'm not saying all kids are like this, but there are those who know they can get away with just about anything and nothing is going to happen to them.

Diomedes

Quote from: shorebird on October 30, 2010, 10:27:09 AMI feel you, sometimes I have to walk away from my daughter to keep from wringing her neck.

until I had a child, I thought this was a figure of speech, a Bill Cosby joke line.  and of course it is, in a way.  but there are times that it's also plain truth.  just gotta walk away for a while or bad shtein might happen.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

we've gotten lucky so far with our child.   she's a good kid, gets good grades, doesn't mouth off to us too much, and she even has a grasp of our financial situation which doesn't permit us to do the sort of things with her that we did previously.

i'm sure in the next eight years there's going to be times when i'll feel differently but so far she's been pretty great.

shorebird

Ya' know, when you raise kids and they start getting older, you forget about what you were like and what you were thinking when you were that young, and you expect kids to be grateful and realize that you've done just about everything you can for them, made your life revolve around theirs, but no. Some think they're entitled, and in some ways they are, because they never asked to be brought in this world. They expect you to bow down to them and think that they know everything, and you're just an old fuddy duddy icehole that doesn't understand. Lately I've tried to put myself in my daughters shoes, try not to raise my voice and put her on the defensive, but it's hard and takes a lot of effort. I'm by no means a perfect Dad and defiantly can learn things.

Munson

Teens in general are just incredibly self-centered. The world revolves them and their "problems" and that's pretty much that.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Tomahawk

PhillyPhreak54

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20101109/US.Fatal.Party.Brawl/

QuoteThat's when a fight broke out between two females and two males, and one of the females hit a guy, said Maj. Tommy Wheeler of the Douglas County Sheriff's Department. In a case of twisted chivalry, the man decided he would not retaliate — but vowed to beat up the next man who passed by, investigators said.

That's when 18-year-old Bobby Tillman happened to come upon the crowd. Authorities said four teenagers swiftly stomped, kicked and punched him to death while dozens of bystanders watched.

Diomedes

ha, those four POS fools are done for life...good riddance

shorebird

"what the farg is wrong with this world" when crap like that happens and dozens of people stand around and watch?

PoopyfaceMcGee

Yay felons with guns!

The deceased game commissioner was a PSU alum.  Flags on campus are at half mast for him today.

Diomedes

if the perp went to jail for 30 years the first time he got popped for a gun crime, we'd have one more presumably good cop and one less dirtbag on the streets

but nooo....we prefer to say 'tough on crime' rather than do it

smeags

and then blame guns instead of the people using them.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Tomahawk

PoopyfaceMcGee

Morons who got out of jail too soon and acquired said guns too easily do?