Previous topic - Next topic

Do you collect anything?

Yes
16 (69.6%)
No
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Sgt PSN

My mom started buying me the Hess trucks each year for x-mas about 10 years ago.  Why?  I have no idea.  But they're pretty cool so I roll with it.  I've got them set up in a nice curio cabinet and they usually get a lot of attention/compliments whenever I have guests over. 

mussa

Maybe I should get them out of my dads basement before they get farged up, someone just told me they are worth some decent cash.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MURP

maybe I just made this up in my head, but I think ebay destroyed the value of a lot of things.  Since anyone can sell anything to anyone in the world things are not hard to find.  I remember back in the day the local baseball card shop or one of the baseball card shows at the Mall were the only way to score some rare cards.  Now you can just go on ebay during lunch break and find any card you want and have it in a few days.   

Same goes for the HESS trucks and a lot of other stuff.

Im sure there are a lot of collectable things worth loot, but it seems like the availablity of things has driven prices down.  Supply and demand.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MURP on January 27, 2007, 05:31:57 PM
maybe I just made this up in my head, but I think ebay destroyed the value of a lot of things.  Since anyone can sell anything to anyone in the world things are not hard to find.  I remember back in the day the local baseball card shop or one of the baseball card shows at the Mall were the only way to score some rare cards.  Now you can just go on ebay during lunch break and find any card you want and have it in a few days.   

Im sure there are a lot of collectable things worth loot, but it seems like the availablity of things has driven prices down.  Supply and demand.

I know that for sports cards, that is pretty much true.  Heck, the two sports card shops that were in Naples have closed.  There is one that opened last year, but it sucks.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MURP on January 27, 2007, 05:31:57 PM

I think there's a hint of truth in there but it's not entirely accurate.  In fact, you could say it may do the exact opposite and drive the price up.  Using sports cards for example, we were all limited to the local card shop down the street  or the occasional card show when we were growing up.  So let's say that the local shop had the Ty Cobb tobacco card that is the crown jewel of baseball cards.  Every week you'd go in that shop and every week it would be there.  Why?  Because no one in my neighborhood (or yours most likely) could afford the high price tag that it came with.  But everyone around the country at least heard about the card.  But not everyone knew where to find it. 

Enter ebay and now you've got people from all over the country/world bidding on something.   Chances are, especially if the item you are auctioning is truly rare, that the final sale price will exceed the "book value" of whatever you're selling. 

When the card is sitting on display in a local shop it is mostly just available to people who can't afford it.  But when it's on ebay, it's available to people who can not only afford it, but who can afford to overpay. 

MURP

possibly.

I just think there seem to be more sellers than buyers in many areas.   For example, I have some comic books I was thinking about getting rid of.  I saw that they may be worth x amount of dollars.   I go on ebay and see about 20 other people trying to sell the same comic book and only a few people bidding on em. 

I could be wrong, because there are infinite collectors items and I have no idea what the supply/demand is on most of em.   

But it goes with the old saying,  something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. 

Sgt PSN

I think it just depends on the specific item and how rare it actually is.  Your comic books may fetch you more money in the local market because they may be rare in the Philly area but not so much on a national level. 

General_Failure

Anything from the 90s on up isn't worth much. People starting seriously collecting everything then, so there's nothing rare to find. Hess trucks are still worth a lot, especially if they're in like new condition with the box.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Wingspan

ebay has destroyed the collectable market, in the manner that MURP guesses/describes.

nothing is "rare" anymore.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

BigEd76

ha

QuoteHusband Is A Loser He Is Gone Now Take His Cards!

My Husband was in The collectible Business for Over 20 years and the Hobby Was His Passion Unfortunately for me so was his wandering eye!  He Is Gone and soo too will his cards soon be... Help me Make some Money off this cheating Loser... Below is His listing and adds I Have not Changed a thing Same deals as he was offering, thanks all Kisses Tammy....

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

Some Flyers stuff i took pictures of last night.  I'm trying to find a good setup for the coin to be framed. 

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Yeti

"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

Sgt PSN

Not anymore.  Thanx Penicillin!!  :yay