Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

If reading is a chore, you're reading the wrong stuff.  That or you're a goddamned idiot who should die sooner than later.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

I dont read because I dont make the time for it...but Dio, what would you consider the right stuff to read?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Diomedes

Jesus, that's a hell of a question.

It's most important to read something, anything, I suppose.  Between not reading and reading garbage like Dan Brown, reading is better.

But I think it's important to read great books, important books, books that challenge.

By great I mean a timeless book, one that speaks beyond it's era and subject.  The Iliad.  Shakespeare.  etc.  I don't think you can know a book is great if it has only been around a few decades.   The newest American fiction I would consider great is Faulkner, Hemingway, etc.  And who knows, in 100 years people may no longer give a damn about them.  But they'll still be reading Milton and Machiavelli, we know that.

Any great book is important, but there are important books that are not great.  All the Kings Men, for example.  It's not something people all of the world should read; it doesn't speak to all times and eras.  But it is a very important book for our culture and time, and it has influence lots of writers.

And challenging, I try to read books that take a little work.  Of course, I also want to enjoy myself so I'm not consuming a steady diet of Heidegger and Mann, but I do put more difficult books into the mix.

Finally, never ever read criticism unless you are a fleshpopsucking professional academic unwilling to live with your own intrepetation of what you have read without propping it up on the crutches of other academic dick suckers.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

read the hot zone bionic....its incredibly scary and its amazing
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

There is no way to answer hbionic's question. Different shtein speaks to different people. But Dio is spot on about one thing. Reading something, anything, is incredibly important. It's the seed of intellect and understanding and the ability to understand perspectives outside of your own. Without reading all we know are the things that we have experienced directly in our lives. What a narrow and pathetic plot that would be.

To use an IGYism, MA doesn't read. Unless you count the bible.

(Speaking of which, I just retrieved a bible from my parents' house and am planning on reading it. See what all the hubbub is about.)
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

Good luck with that, it's pretty lousy reading.

ice grillin you

i hate books and its fabulous...ive read less than ten books in my life and ive read the hot zone twice
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Quote from: Diomedes on January 03, 2009, 02:57:10 PM

It absolutely can not be any more difficult to get through than Gravity's Rainbow.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

rjs246

Well GR took me about 5 months to read so when factoring in all of the other shtein I'm reading I assume it will be a while before you have your update.

Let them eat bootstraps.

hbionic

Thanks Dio....

Thats pretty much what I thought...only after my recent English class in college did my horizons open up a bit more regarding reading, poetry, shakespeare, etc. I agree reading is as important as eating and breathing. Actually A Farewell to arms is one that has been recommended to me. The only important books I can sadly say I have read are 1984 and Animal Farm. I have a lot of work to do. Believe it or not I actually love reading when I actually make the time.

IGY, Ill look into that book this year...I'll post my review by the end of 09...Allah willing.

Geowhizzer

Hbionic,

I agree with Dio that great and important books should be included in your reading list.  Personally, Shakespeare is a chore to read, but I try to digest one from time to time.

But, to kickstart, find something in your interest zone.  Like spy movies?  Perhaps a good spy novel will whet your appetite for reading.  Maybe a biography on an Eagle, or a book on team history.  Not every moment reading needs to be "heady."  My personal tastes runs to history books rather than novels.

My last three books include two history books, An Imperfect God (George Washington) and David McCullough's Truman, which I am finishing, with Devil May Care (latest James Bond novel) wedged in between. 

One more piece of advice:  Read now, while you can.  Once you start your family, your time for everything, including reading, will evaporate.  I usually end up with about 15 minutes to read, on a good day.

Rome

Quote from: rjs246 on January 03, 2009, 02:58:13 PM

It absolutely can not be any more difficult to get through than Gravity's Rainbow.

Breathtaking?

And I just finished Clarke's 3001: The Final Odyssey.  Pretty cool science fiction and definitely superior to 2010.

hbionic

One of the first books that I read was Red Storm Rising.....by Tom Clancy...I think I read another one of his...regarding the North Koreans...I actually read one by Dean Koontz....False Memory...recommened by PG early on in this thread.

I'll take your advice as well Geo....Isn't McCullough the historian? Damn...15 minutes? Time to log off the net. Thanks.

rjs246

Quote from: Rome on January 03, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on January 03, 2009, 02:58:13 PM

Breathtaking?

Pretty sure that we were talking about The Road when you whipped out that gem.

Let them eat bootstraps.