2020/2021 Covid Games

Started by Rome, July 23, 2021, 07:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

Has there ever been an olympics with so little buzz?  I had no idea it was even happening until I accidentally saw some curling today. 

QB Eagles

It's a games during a pandemic in a country the State Department says is in the midst of carrying out a genocide. The networks didn't travel to cover it, it's subject to a diplomatic boycott, and the sponsors aren't out there trumpeting their involvement either.

Don Ho

My company has been a HUGE Olympic sponser for years.  Since the pandemic it's like "What's the Olympics?"
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Eagaholic

I wish the whole world boycotted China, they are a horrendous nation. Personally, I think they are a paper tiger that is more likely than not to crumble within the next decade.

MDS

Quote from: QB Eagles on February 03, 2022, 05:26:04 PM
It's a games during a pandemic in a country the State Department says is in the midst of carrying out a genocide. The networks didn't travel to cover it, it's subject to a diplomatic boycott, and the sponsors aren't out there trumpeting their involvement either.

nbc has been telling sponsors to expect record low viewership

the IOC really murdered the olympics and frankly they deserve it
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Quote from: MDS on February 03, 2022, 08:55:07 PM
the IOC

Might be the worst sports organization going, and that's a huge statement considering the competition.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah they're awful.

IOC
FIFA
NCAA
NFL
MLB

I'd probably rank the worst like that.

QB Eagles

UEFA and IAAF are worse than any orgs based out of America.

F1/FIA goes through periods of corruption too, and the overall integrity of the competitions seems questionable to me, with some constructors having obviously way more pull than others. A simple glance at a list of where they currently run grands prix is enough to draw quite a bit of suspicion that not everything is happening above board.

ice grillin you

all the things mentioned matter but number one no buzz factor is because its on the other side of the world and nothing good is live in primetime...this is nothing new but every time it happens i have zero interest...id be down for a bunch of it if i could sit down and watch live events in the evening
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 04, 2022, 08:42:02 AM
all the things mentioned matter but number one no buzz factor is because its on the other side of the world and nothing good is live in primetime...this is nothing new but every time it happens i have zero interest...id be down for a bunch of it if i could sit down and watch live events in the evening

the only way you get that is if its in the USA/Canada. and even then, certain events will have to be in the afternoon to hit european primetime (balancing act for the IOC to keep all countries happy...nbc pays the most and has the most pull). they are trying to push salt lake city to host a winter games to 1) make nbc happy and 2) nobody wants to host and they already have the infrastructure
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

If there's a big event at 2am 4am 7am etc. our time do they show it live and in prime time tape delayed or do they only show it tape delayed.
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

right now they are showing everything live on peacock or one of the cable channels, then re packaging for primetime on nbc

nothing is getting tape delayed and saved for later...though evidently like when gymanstics aired over the summer at 5am the whole broadcast was a disaster

phattymatty

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 04, 2022, 08:42:02 AM

I'm the exact opposite, one of my favorite things about the olympics is that you can find some fun shtein to watch at 4 in the morning or weird times when there is usually nothing going on. 

also with Beijing they're exactly 12 hours ahead, maybe 13 currently, so there will be a lot of good stuff happening prime time EST.  they do a lot of snow stuff early in the day so the snow doesn't get all farged up / melt throughout the day. 

Munson

Curling continues to be the best winter sport don't @ me
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

Gotta agree about curling.  Looks like the kind of sport drunk ass Canadians would play drunk as hell.   Love to try it just for the hell of it.