2010/11 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 24, 2010, 01:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

They can. They won't.

Differences between the two.

Cockface should get creative and move money around to get this shtein right.

MDS

their payroll is already at 150

the only somewhat tradeable contract is victorino. ibanez is going nowhere. either you play him, bench him or cut him. hes getting paid either way. utley, choke, jimmy, oswalt, halladay, lidge they are all locked into.

shane makes 7.5 next year. thats about half of what werth will get.

again, unless ownership okays a massive increase in payroll its not possible.

hes going to get paid and i dont blame him.

why cant you understand this. everyone else can.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I do understand.

I am saying that ownership should up the ante and your homie Rube needs to handle business.

MDS

of course they should

youd have to think they can afford it

but werth is 32 and a 5 year deal could put you in a worse spot with him than you will be with choke when he mo vaughns it up in a few years

they need to get younger. id be more impressed with ownership if they eat ibanez's contract and fill in the outfield with whatever reasonable options they can find than i would be if they kept things as is and resigned werth.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

The BIGSTUD

They aren't winning shtein with the lineup as is. They better find a way to make it better and that task becomes even harder if Werth is gone.

We currently have 3 liabilities in the lineup with Ibanez, Rollins, Victorino plus one hole if Werth leaves. That is 4 out of 8 spots not counter the pitcher. Amaro needs to work his magic and either trade for a young disgruntled outfielder like a Colby Rasmus or do something. Brown sucks right now and if he's starting next season it will be a travesty.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

BigEd76

guess who

QuoteThe only way to argue that Jayson had a decline in 2010 is to look at home runs, where he was down by nine. But so many other areas of his performance were up. A lot of people would say he had a better year in 2010 than he did in 2009.

Compared to '09, he was up 30 points in batting average, 15 in on-base percentage, 30 in slugging, 40 in OPS. He had fewer home runs, but he had 20 more doubles. He scored 106 runs. How many No. 5 hitters do that?

His defense was better than it has ever been and when you look at his postseason contributions ... If you really reflect on it, he had an equivalent year, a great year. This is not an athlete you can normally acquire.
The Phillies are built to contend for several more years at a minimum.  Jayson is a complete player with a record of postseason excellence. It's a good business decision to have him. He fits now and long-term. He's a five-tool guy who can play all three outfield positions. He has great value to the four players that precede him in the lineup. They have MVP type No. 3 and 4 hitters. He's a great support to them.
As far as economics, with franchise appreciation and annual revenues, they're a top 10 franchise in baseball. They keep acquiring premium talent. They've built an annual playoff contender. And when you factor in the success of ownership outside of baseball, all the dynamics are in place to give them the economic wherewithal to retain Jayson.

These men can do anything they want to do. They can hire anyone they want, particularly ones who wear baseball uniforms. They just have to make the choice: Do they want to advance their commitment and keep the best players for their team?
A lot of teams would want a five-tool guy with Jayson's postseason resume, middle-of-the order presence and centerfield acumen.

MDS

singleton moved to LF, will begin the year at clearwater

logical move, but you're forgetting how awful choke will be in 4 years when singleton is presumably ready

ice grillin you

this thread was a bad idea to begin with...but its become legendary bad with the amazing amount of stupid stuff being said in it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

you could say that about literally every single thing on this board

charlie

A thread to talk about the offseason moves of a professional sports team is a terrible idea. No one will ever go for it.

ice grillin you

Quote from: charlie on October 26, 2010, 02:29:53 PM
A thread to talk about the offseason moves of a professional sports team is a terrible idea. No one will ever go for it.

only a complete homer robot would start an offseason thread within 12 minutes of being eliminated

throw in an epic choke job and a looking strike to end the season and next year shouldnt  be discussed for at minimum a month

fans like you actually make me physically ill...but thats whay much of the phillies fanbase has become

way to fight team!!....get em next year

charlie

Is your rule book published somewhere?

Why would I care when this thread was started?

MDS

you have to just continually adapt to these rules

no sense in arguing, word comes as it comes

ice grillin you