2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The BIGSTUD

Excited to see what Kendrick brings this year. Definitely looks improved.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

Apparently he's been riding Halladay's dong since he got here...maybe if he's lucky something will rub off.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

MDS

kendrick is a borderline 5th starter. once again people are over-analyzing and freaking over what essentially amounts to debating between hank baskett and kevin curtis. it really doesnt farg matter if its moyer or kendrick or smith or havas. the role is as interchangeable as any in baseball. if all of those guys fail they can find someone in july or on the waiver wire. it means nothing. stop. talking. about. it.

what we should be talking about is things like will jimmy rollins be like 07 and 08 jimmy rollins and will cole hamels bring his penis with him this year?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

Quote from: King Cole on March 04, 2010, 04:39:05 PM
Excited to see what Kendrick brings this year. Definitely looks improved.

i see the jinxing douche has returned.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on March 04, 2010, 04:28:48 PM
143 million dollar budgets should not be laughed at or ridiculed under any circumstance. 

either are world series titles

im not saying they should have a budget like the yanks or sox...but a team in the 4th biggest market in the country with a stadium and fanbase that print money for them should never have a rock solid line drawn in the sand number...its inexcusable...they should have made an exception and paid a few extra mil in this case
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

they have a budget like the sox, my brotha.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 04, 2010, 06:58:38 PM
143 million dollar budgets should not be laughed at or ridiculed under any circumstance. 

im not saying they should have a budget like the yanks or sox...but a team in the 4th biggest market in the country with a stadium and fanbase that print money for them should never have a rock solid line drawn in the sand number...its inexcusable...they should have made an exception and paid a few extra mil in this case

you just dont get it

amaro out-smarted and out-smugged himself. if the bottom line was $ he gets rid of blanton and then uses the lee money to get a random 4th starter on the market for 2011.

but amaro felt so farging high on himself for getting halladay to go with hamels and happ that, combined with the fact they could keep blanton for 3 years, made him think he was rotation was set and awesome and he was god. so, with that, he got rid of lee to get some prospects back.

was it dumb? yes. unnecessary. yes? but whats done is done and you can sit there and be bitter about it like you are still about the 1987 stanley cup finals or you can open up some sausage links and pop in season 1 of mad men and enjoy life.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

im pretty sure the sox are 150-160 mil in 2010 arent they

but more than that is the fact that they would never ever let a few bucks prevent them from getting better as the phils did with lee

Quote from: KDS on March 04, 2010, 07:20:18 PM

you just dont get it

amaro out-smarted and out-smugged himself. if the bottom line was $ he gets rid of blanton and then uses the lee money to get a random 4th starter on the market for 2011.

but amaro felt so farging high on himself for getting halladay to go with hamels and happ that, combined with the fact they could keep blanton for 3 years, made him think he was rotation was set and awesome and he was god. so, with that, he got rid of lee to get some prospects back.

was it dumb? yes. unnecessary. yes? but whats done is done and you can sit there and be bitter about it like you are still about the 1987 stanley cup finals or you can open up some sausage links and pop in season 1 of mad men and enjoy life.

you dont get it...it has nothing to do with amaro...hes getting his orders from monty who is getting them from the invisible seven

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 04, 2010, 07:22:11 PM
im pretty sure the sox are 150-160 mil in 2010 arent they

but more than that is the fact that they would never ever let a few bucks prevent them from getting better as the phils did with lee

Quote from: KDS on March 04, 2010, 07:20:18 PM

you just dont get it

you dont get it...it has nothing to do with amaro...hes getting his orders from monty who is getting them from the invisible seven

of course he is

but its not like they want lee gone for halladay and wanted to keep blanton

amaro had 140 to play with and he thought they were goldne without lee. he didnt think they needed him. so he long termed blanton and got prospects as opposed to having lee for one season and getting rid of blanton.

we all take the latter but amaro thinks hes a genius so he took the former. HOW IS THIS DIFFICULT? DO YOU GO TO UMBC OR SOME shtein?

ice grillin you

Shortly after the Phillies acquired Roy Halladay in December, Rich Dubee drove up to the Phillies' complex from his off-season home in Sarasota to meet his new pitcher.

The pitching coach asked Halladay about his training program. Halladay handed Dubee a binder detailing his daily routine and charting his pitching history. Dubee said he hadn't seen anything like it, besides Jamie Moyer's individual plan.

"There's not much that goes by this guy that he doesn't know or hasn't prepared to be ready for," Dubee said.

Yesterday, Halladay looked the part. He pitched two scoreless innings against the New York Yankees in the Grapefruit League opener. He threw 24 pitches, and 21 of them were strikes. He allowed one baserunner, and only because of an error.

"I still have a long ways to go," Halladay said. "There are different things I'd like to work on moving forward."

As Kyle Kendrick walked out of the bullpen to relieve Halladay in the third inning, Halladay was on his way back out to the bullpen. He threw 12 more pitches to reach his pitch count. He went inside and ran on an elliptical machine for 30 minutes. Then he completed arm exercises that lasted about an hour.

By the time he emerged in the clubhouse to speak to reporters, the Phillies were putting the finishing touches on a come-from-behind 3-2 victory.

"He hasn't changed much, that's for sure," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who often faced Halladay when he was Toronto's ace.

Halladay's preparation and work ethic have been popular topics ever since pitchers and catchers reported in mid-February. For Halladay, they are something he has prioritized since his abrupt demotion to single A by the Blue Jays to start the 2001 season.

That's when the workout program changed. That's when he began keeping the binder.

Against the Yankees, Halladay pitched with a purpose. He wanted to test his conditioning and his location. He succeeded with both.

Of the 15 swings the Yankees took against Halladay, only one resulted in a ball struck solidly - a line drive caught by Jayson Werth in right field to end the first inning.

smeags

btw myers was lights out yesterday for the astros in 2innings. i know it was only the 1st outting of spring training.

also, seriously, the debate on lee is assinine at this point. no matter what we think there is was zero, no less than zero chance that both lee & halladay would be on this roster this year. period. as dallas green said, as soon as amaro got the impression lee's agent that they couldnt resign him they jumped on halladay and that was it. lee was gone. blanton isn't even part of the equation. they would've kept him no matter which of the two they signed.

well, IMO we got the better of the two in halladay and he's locked up beyond this season and in addition to that they resigned blanton who will be a nice fit in the middle of the rotation.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it