2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Phillies/Yankees are on MLB Network tonight for all the outta towners and Mexicans like Todd.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

so i just listened to dallas green on WIP and of course two of the main discussions were about hamels and the lee situation.

on hamels he repeated what most have been saying which is that he looks as good better than he ever has and seems to be on a mission to bounce back. if that ends up panning out losing lee may be less of a set back.

on lee he pretty much pointed at the agent as the problem but made it clear that if they had signed lee they never would've traded for halladay so the idea of a rotation including both pitchers was never going to happen.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: sean_sec227 on March 04, 2010, 08:06:49 AM
the idea of a rotation including both pitchers was never going to happen.

under no circumstances could they have gone over 140 million

smeags

then adding insult to injury by claiming the lee move was not a money issue and that it had to be done to replenish the farm system which is a joke. look at the players that traded the last two years to get both lee and halladay. these guys were drafted very recently which shows with better scouting you can pick good enough players in a not so long period of time to either be your future or pieces to move.

ice grillin you

everyone knows what their budget is....its not exactly a secret

i mean if money wasnt an issue why did the phillies want 8 million dollars cash in the halladay deal

whats really scary is if hamels has a season that mirrors how good he looks thus far can you imagine having him as a THIRD starter...that would just be redonkulous

smeags

offering blanton a tender didn't help things IMO.

again though, it's kind of pointless to keep ranting about it. lee is gone. if the phillies can go on to win it all again this year amaro will be touted as a genius, if not he will be forever ripped over it.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: sean_sec227 on March 04, 2010, 08:06:49 AM
on lee he pretty much pointed at the agent as the problem but made it clear that if they had signed lee they never would've traded for halladay so the idea of a rotation including both pitchers was never going to happen.

it's not even a matter of not signing lee to a long(er) term deal that has me butt hurt.  the phils have come a long way in recent years but i don't think they're financially at the point where they could afford to sign both a cliff lee and doc.  i'm just pissed that they could have run them both out there this year and it wouldn't have come close to breaking the bank.  in fact, if they would have kept lee, they would have made that 8mil back by the end of april. 

this team is built to win right now and they could have greatly improved their odds winning a championship this year by spending a measly 8mil.  only one other time in the 100+ years of this franchise have phillies fans ever seen this much sustained success and that was in the late 70's/early 80's.  so farg it.....why not just go for it all?  and if lee signs elsewhere in 2011 and the phils get no minor league talent in return, who gives a shtein?  another trophy is compensation enough. 

smeags

i agree 100% but the point was the phillies would have never went for halladay had they been able to sign lee long term. the would never had been a scenerio where both pitchers would be on this team regardless for how long.

which is assinine to the 1000th power.  :boom

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 04, 2010, 09:05:39 AM
whats really scary is if hamels has a season that mirrors how good he looks thus far can you imagine having him as a THIRD starter...that would just be redonkulous

this

smeags

Rome

Rome

And by the way... I'm of the mind that Lee should have stayed, but really, if it comes down to a choice between Lee & Blanton, is there really that much of a difference between the two?

Blanton gets you 200 innings and 12-15 wins.  Lee gets you 200 innings and 14-17 wins.   

I love what Lee did and all but Phillies fans who rip Blanton are just stupid (not that anyone here does that but it happens elsewhere).

smeags

Quote from: Rome on March 04, 2010, 11:49:48 AM
And by the way... I'm of the mind that Lee should have stayed, but really, if it comes down to a choice between Lee & Blanton, is there really that much of a difference between the two?

Blanton gets you 200 innings and 12-15 wins.  Lee gets you 200 innings and 14-17 wins.   

I love what Lee did and all but Phillies fans who rip Blanton are just stupid (not that anyone here does that but it happens elsewhere).

you can't be serious. blanton getting 12-15 wins on with this offense compared to lee putting up better numbers with the indians ?

if you want to see the real difference between the two last year's world series was a microcosom.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: sean_sec227 on March 04, 2010, 11:54:06 AM
Quote from: Rome on March 04, 2010, 11:49:48 AM

you can't be serious. blanton getting 12-15 wins on with this offense compared to lee putting up better numbers with the indians ?

if you want to see the real difference between the two last year's world series was a microcosom.

exactly. 

with the offense this team has, i could go out there and win 5 games for them because even though i'm going to give up 8+ runs in 5 innings, they're going to go out and score 13 to back me up. 

i like blanton and i think he's a good 3rd/great 4th starter.  most teams would love to have that kind of inning eating pitcher that far down in their rotation. 

but come playoff time, there's no doubt about it that cliff lee is about as dominating a pitcher as there is and with blanton, you have to hope that he's on his game that day.