2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 22, 2010, 11:42:54 AM
finally an athlete that puts winning ahead of money

or in his case the only chance to be employed.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

smeags

for what it's worth buster olney was going on & on about how good hamels looks three days into spring training.

Don Ho

Quote from: sean_sec227 on February 22, 2010, 12:44:29 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on February 22, 2010, 11:42:54 AM
finally an athlete that puts winning ahead of money

or in his case the only chance to be employed.

I blame Apollo Ohno.  Koreans hate him.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

Sgt PSN

i thought johnny damon signed with the tigers

Rome

PG is probably beside herself over Grizzly Werth.

Sgt PSN

probably because they can compare mustaches now.  snap son!

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

BigEd76

Another guy that used to kill the Phils as an Expo/Nat has signed.....Brad Wilkerson

This Werth Photochop is pretty good too

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

smeags

ice grillin you

god i love this man...

One of Jimmy Rollins chief goals this season? Steal 50 bases, the Phillies short stop said yesterday. He has come close twice, stealing 47 in 2008 and 46 in his rookie season of 2001.

He also weighed in on his opinion of the best pitcher in the National League East, less than a week after Mets lefthander Johan Santana picked himself.

"Overall? Roy is (the best), as far as pitching is concerned," Rollins said. "You bring in the hitting side of things, and Santana gets the nod. There is no doubt about that. I mean, Roy can't hit. There's no secret there. I texted Roy prior to him getting down here and told him that he has my vote for National League Rookie of the Year already."

Santana is one of the better hitting pitchers in the game, with a .172 career batting average that includes 10 extra base hits.

Jimmy Rollins is 0-for-1 in his only career at-bat against Halladay and 6-for-26 with two home runs in his career against Santana.

More Rollins:

On his goals: I told Davey (Lopes) I want to try to steal 50 bases. That's the first thing I want to do. Will it happen? We'll see, but that's my goal. That's a place I've never been before, so it gives me something to shoot at. I want to try to keep the errors under three this year, that would be nice. I was on pace for that, and towards the end slipped up a little bit. Still trying to score 150 runs, I've never hit .300, working on 200 hits, so there are a lot of things for me to do, and hopefully if I do those things, hopefully I'll be doing a good enough job to bring us another championship."

On the chance to repeat: "Actually, Frank (Copenbarger) came and told me that National League teams who have gone to the World Series three years in a row won two out of three. Sounds like pretty good odds."

On Polanco hitting behind him: "Well, he's done it before. There will be a lot of first-to-thirds, for one -- well, probably not in our ballpark, but most other places. Polanco's a good hitter. He sprays the ball around, he puts the ball in play, he will move guys, he will drive in runs. Our line-up can be changed, and we've seen Charlie change a few spots. He keeps the three, four, five guys pretty much the same. . .but nothing is ever set in stone. . .if he feels good about something, he'll make a switch. But as it sits now, I guess that is the way it is slated to be."

Maybe a little more hitting and running, on our own "but we'll see how it goes."

Obviously, '08, that was just an injury. Last year, it was just a bad first half. I never really got going the first half. but other than that, I did a couple things right, scored 100 runs -- that's a bottom-line thing, just make sure I at least score 100. And I stole 30 bases, so I was still active in places at times where I could, but you can't do much more if you're not on base. Just find a way to get a few more hits in there, if they aren't going to pitch to me, draw a few more walks, but they are going to pitch to me.

As I told Milt and Charlie, don't worry about it, I'll get there. That's nothing to worry about. Charlie just kept asking when, so you guys would stop asking questions.

On the potential of a healthy Phillies' line-up: "If everybody has career years, then that will be a pretty fun time. If everybody just has a solid year, a decent year with points where everybody takes turns carrying the team but nobody really gets cold, that's a lot of wins. We could do a lot of damage. You want to be at that point come in October. If it doesn't happen in September and you find a way into the playoffs still, as long as you get into October, we'll be all right. Scoring runs, fortunately has not been a problem, it's just closing out games. . .That's something you dream about, everybody just absolutely going off, probably like Seattle in '01 or '02, where they just demolished everybody -- that's the type of year we could have."

On Brad Lidge: "It's important for him to be healthy. If he's healthy, he's going to be successful. There's no doubt about that."

On Jayson Werth's full beard: "It's pretty amazing what that man's face can do. He's pretty good right now. He's pretty good. What do I think he looks like? I don't know. He looks like the dude when you are driving down the street hanging on the corner with a sign trying to get some change."

On the Phillies picking up his option: "Ruben just called me, I don't know when it was, and said hey, I just wanted to let you know, tomorrow we are going to announce that we are picking up your option. At first I was like, Oh, OK, that's cool. But 15 minutes later I really started thinking about it, like, Wow, OK, that's real cool. I just go out there and chill. He said to go out there and relax and play, we want you to be here, so we'll go ahead and take care of that and take that pressure off. Actually, I hadn't even thought about it to that point. I guess I've only been in this organization. It never really dawned upon me to leave. I've been around here long enough and it seems like if you've been a part of winning and you're a good person, they've always picked your option up. I guess I was just going to wait until after this year or sometime during this year and expect to hear it. But he let me know in the offseason before spring training, so it was definitely spring training."

On whether he only sees himself in this organization: "When I get older, they might boot me out or some young dude might come run me off the block or something. That happens. At that point, I'll make a decision. I've just always said to myself, and this is in the future, of course, that when I'm no longer able to play everyday, there's really no reason for me to be playing. I'm not going to be a guy to come off the bench and contribute. I'm not all of a sudden going to get three or four more steps back because I'm not playing everyday. So whenever I get ran off, if I can go somewhere else and play, then I'll play, and if not, I'll go fishing or golfing or something."

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

QuoteOn Jayson Werth's full beard: "It's pretty amazing what that man's face can do. He's pretty good right now. He's pretty good. What do I think he looks like? I don't know. He looks like the dude when you are driving down the street hanging on the corner with a sign trying to get some change."

lol

MDS

no

give me dry, humorless chase utley

give me him
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.