2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

halladay, hamels, happ and blanton is pretty good, too.

i think youre forgetting they play in a weaker league and WON THE LAST 2 NL PENNANTS.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

ill take jurrjenns - lowe - hanson - hudson and kawakami
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

of course you would....so I guess we know who'll round out Havas' team in the FFL, Braves this year; Mets last year.

phattymatty

you did last year too.

ps - phils claim INF Brian Bocock off waivers.   yeah.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 26, 2010, 02:47:58 PM
of course you would....so I guess we know who'll round out Havas' team in the FFL, Braves this year; Mets last year.

mets every year...i dont care if the braves win...if the mets win i wanna die

and i didnt pick the braves last year i said theyd make a run...at the end of the year they were better than the phillies and now that HOF hanson has a year under his belt look out...in fact i bet he has a better year than halladay

MDS

you are just a terrible, terrible person.

easiest 50 bones i ever made.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

espn sunday night baseball

May 2 - NY Mets at Philadelphia Phillies
May 16 - Philadelphia Phillies at Milwaukee Brewers
July 18 - Philadelphia Phillies at Chicago Cubs (6pm)

Sgt PSN

Quote from: KDS on January 26, 2010, 02:35:55 PM
halladay, hamels, happ and blanton is pretty good, too.

i think youre forgetting they play in a weaker league and WON THE LAST 2 NL PENNANTS.

hamels and happ are question marks heading into this season.  i think hamels will turn it around performance wise but i'm more concerned about his think tank than anything else.  i have absolutely no idea what to realistically expect from happ this year other than the fact that i seriously doubt he'll have the same type of success he did last year.  he might have a pretty good year, but it won't be on the same level as last year. 

MDS

i keep forgetting how great aj burnett is and how not old and washed up pettitte is.

every farging rotation except for the red sox has a bunch of question marks. the phillies' ones arent that big. can a guy who has been good for his entire career rebound from an awful season? and can a guy who has been great and improved at every step of the ladder solidify himself as a quality major league starter?

ill take those.

Rome

andy pettitte is washed up?

someone should tell him that.  not the phillies, though.  not after he beat their asses twice last fall.

ice grillin you

Quote from: KDS on January 26, 2010, 05:51:10 PM
can a guy who has been good for his entire career rebound from an awful season? and can a guy who has been great and improved at every step of the ladder solidify himself as a quality major league starter?

happ was a .500 pitcher in the minors

and for the record i dont really have a problem with the phillies rotation...its fine...what i have a problem with is that it could have been the best the in the majors and they gave that away for no good reason

their bullpen is a much bigger problem tho

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 26, 2010, 07:32:32 PM
and for the record i dont really have a problem with the phillies rotation...its fine...what i have a problem with is that it could have been the best the in the majors and they gave that away for no good reason

this x infinity.  as i said before, the phils had one of, if not the best 1-2 combo in ml history and decided that 2012, 2013 was somehow more important.  this team is absolutely built to win right now.  utley, werth, howard and victorino are in their prime.  rolliins, while still very good, is probably on the decline.  they have one of the finest defensive catchers in the league.  yeah, the bullpen is still pretty messy but it also becomes much less important in a 7 game series when you have 2 pitchers who can take you at least 8 innings in 4 of those games. 

it would be one thing if the phils didn't have a solid team on the field and wanted prospects who would eventually make them contenders.  but they already are.  they literally pissed away the opportunity to have an absolutely epic season in exchange for simply remaining (hopefully) competitive over the next 5-10 years.  i swear, joe banner is running this farging team because this is gold standard 101.  the only reason i'm not absolutely pissed about it is because the phils delivered when they got to the series by winning it all and then followed up with another appearance last year, which is far more than i can say about the eagles. 

but farg me to hell and back if the phils aren't acting just like the eagles right now. 

Rome

halladay might be great, hamels might return to form, happ might not have a sophomore slump, and blanton might continue pitching his 200 innings and winning 12-15 games.

then again, halladay might get crushed in the nl, hamels might continue his backsliding, happ might be a disaster, and blanton might continue pitching his 200 innings and winning 12-15 games.

whatever happens i don't see any way they can compete with the yankees rotation even if they get that far.  and yeah, it's frustrating to think what might have been with lee.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome