2009 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, November 05, 2009, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Phils will regret letting him go. The Astros got a helluva deal.

Rome

ha - this is great...  http://dailyphiladelphian.com/2010/01/13/brett-myers-needs-to-stfu-on-his-way-to-the-astros/

QuoteCongratulations Brett Myers. You swindeled Eddie Wade and the Astros to guarantee you $5.1 million to pitch this year.

Myers agreed to a one year $3.1 million dollar deal for this season with a mutual option for $8 million next year with a $2 million buyout.

Your DailyPhiladelphian has always respected Myers' competitive nature and his athletic ability. However, his off field persona is not one to be emulated. yesterday, he down right pissed us off with the way he discussed the Phillies organization.

Myers said he will "stick it" to us every time he faces the Phillies lineup.

He also had some interesting comments about the way the team handled his domestic violence issues in 2006. (You know, the time when he allegedly used his wife as a punching bag on a Boston street corner.) He blames the Phillies for him never addressing the issue.

"It's tough, because we've wanted to come out and have a press conference, tell everybody, and set the record straight," Myers told the media yesterday. "We just haven't been able to do that. You just can't read everything. You've got to kind of live your life and play the game of baseball well."

OK, let's address both things separately here.

First, if Brett Myers really wanted to talk to the media, he would have. He could have held his own news conference at any point. The fact is, the Phillies advised him not to talk because Myers has been known to stick his foot in his mouth.

Oh, and here's another thought regarding that incident: Don't punch your wife in the first place, Brett!

As for the other statement he made, we'd love for him to "stick it" to the Phillies. Quite frankly, for someone who has a tendancy to give up the long ball, we don't think it's good to talk smack on a team that features Ryan Howard and Chase Utley and Jayson Werth and Raul Ibanez and the list goes on.

Brett, we can't wait for you to come back to Philly. The only thing that may save you from getting the Scott Rolen treatment is that at bat against CC Sabathia in the 2008 playoffs.

Enjoy Houston. You and Eddie Wade were meant for each other.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 13, 2010, 05:33:02 PM
Phils will regret letting him go. The Astros got a helluva deal.

agree.  it would have made sense to let him walk if they had any type of pitching depth.......which they had for about 8 minutes and then traded it to seattle.  they could have even ran him out there as their #2 behind halladay if cole's vadge doesn't stop secreting all over the place.   

Rome

in what universe is brett myers a #2 starter much less on a team with aspirations for another wfc?

Sgt PSN

put on your tri-focals and read between the lines you miserable old farg tard.....it was more of a deep, penetrating stab into cole's muff than thinking myers is a #2. 

PhillyPhreak54

He may not be a #2, but he's sure as shtein better than Pops Moyer and/or Kyle Kendrick.

Sgt PSN

he certainly could have either been a back of the rotation starter or helped solidify the pen.  either way, there was definitely a use for him on the team.  not really sure why the phils chose to let him walk.  it's not like houston overpaid for him. 

MDS

hes not worth the trouble

also who gives a shtein about 5th starter. do you people bitch and moan about 3rd string running backs. come on.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhreak54

From the Phils MB:

QuoteEyre was on WIP this afternoon and said Lidge's elbow surgery was worse than Lidge thought it was going to be.

Great news!

MDS

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 13, 2010, 10:36:46 PM
reno mahe says hi. 

like reno mahe ever made them win or lose a game.

the phillies will win the nl east. you do not need 5 starters in the playoffs. the phillies will win the world series if ryan howard, chase utley, jimmy rollins, jayson werth, roy halladay, cole hamels, ja happ/joe blanton and brad lidge do what they should do. everybody else is background space. sounds fascinating.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

MLB network was listing available FA pitchers last night and Chin Meing Wang was listed as a possible one for the phils, they might have been talking out of their asses, but if he would take a cheap one year deal to re-establish himself i would definitely give him a shot. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SunMo

Brad Lidge had arthroscopic surgery on his knee yesterday

perfect season, coming up
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: SunMo on January 14, 2010, 12:19:36 PM
Brad Lidge had arthroscopic surgery on his knee yesterday

perfect season, coming up

good. i think it was his knee LAST year that hurt him too. He should have had it cleaned up before last season but he didn't do it. He did before the 08 season.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Worse than expected elbow damage/surgery & knee surgery.

Perfect season coming up!